Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 09:30 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Type the tire into eBay and you'll be able to find a comparable lightly used tire for ~$70 shipped.

I did this about a year ago, measured the depth of tread on my tire and found a comparable exact match on eBay. Rather than replacing all 4 on a AWD car, just the one.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:47 PM

Just replaced the tires on my wife's Q5 today. Picked up a large screw in one sidewall, with 12k miles on the set. Couldn't replace just the one tire.

It happened twice with her Allroad. One time we were able to replace the bad tire, the other time we had to replace the set. Just the way things are.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:49 PM

Replaced all 4 tires on Quattro recently due to side wall bubble on one tire - tread depth too far gone for single tire swap, but one thing that was mentioned was that if I wanted to just replace 2 tires then those would be across transaxle (if front right tire then matched with rear left tire iirc)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:58 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
8k is nothing

Maybe if these were Pzero 20k tires you’d do a pair.

But for all road ? Me I’d just get one and be done

I would not ride a carbon rim with a puncture hole in it
oops...i should read before typing...this is full time AWD right? then uh yes, I would measure the wear across the other three and then figure out if pair or four.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Going for her Covid shot, ran over curb. Audi Allroad, tires have about 8k on them look brand new. Assume it is tough luck and I need to buy all 4 tires?

Dealer wants like 320 piece for them, Tire Rack, 184, but would end up at Munro to install.

Rim think is ok that would totally stink

Crap.....

FWIW- Last time I bought tires I found the regional shops were doing price matching.

Was going to do the TireRack thing, but Wal-Mart had the lowest "all-in" price that I thought for sure they wouldn't match.

Asked and they did.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:32 PM

Would it make sense to file insurance claim and replace all 4? I know that might increase your premiums so much it would be a mistake to do so.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:07 AM

Buy a single tire from Tire Rack and have it shaved to the depth of 3 surviving tires.

Please send me a pm and I will help you get in contact with someone efficient at the process. This invite is extended to any and all who would like assistance.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Buy a single tire from Tire Rack and have it shaved to the depth of 3 surviving tires.

Please send me a pm and I will help you get in contact with someone efficient at the process. This invite is extended to any and all who would like assistance.
this is the correct answer here. dont throw out three perfectly good tires.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:28 AM

Measured, appears about 4mm from new. Bit the bullet, got 4 Michelin Pilot's for 803 installed/balanced all 4. Couldn't find shaving around here.

Will keep a tire in case she goes over another curb
Old 03-04-2021, 06:30 AM

at least keep the other two and sell them. with only 8k on them, they definitely have value, as opposed to winding up getting recycled.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
this is the correct answer here. dont throw out three perfectly good tires.
Too late.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-04-2021, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Type the tire into eBay and you'll be able to find a comparable lightly used tire for ~$70 shipped.

I did this about a year ago, measured the depth of tread on my tire and found a comparable exact match on eBay. Rather than replacing all 4 on a AWD car, just the one.
I had a similar situation with our Q7. Picked up a nail in a Nokian R2 snow tire, which had been superseded by the R3. Rather than buy four new snow tires (as the other three were relatively new), I put the summer set on and waited to find a matching R2 on eBay. (it was almost time to swap wheels/tires anyway) A month later I found the matching tire and had it mounted on the wheel. The set went back on the car in the fall.

Cost was $100 all in, versus about $1200...

I know not everybody has separate summer and winter tire sets. This experience justified having that spare set (not that I needed any justification....)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-04-2021, 06:49 AM

Nothing eBay, no shaving around here. Just wasn't worth hassle, least we are starting fresh and won't need tires for long time. Perhaps keep them and sell on Facebook marketplace
Old 03-04-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Nothing eBay, no shaving around here. Just wasn't worth hassle, least we are starting fresh and won't need tires for long time. Perhaps keep them and sell on Facebook marketplace
I get it.

TireRack is the only place that I know of that shaves tires.

Offer the tires on the Audi FB pages too, and one of the Audi forums has a New England page...I think it's quattroworld...

B8 A4 allroad or C5?

More importantly, did your wife get the jab? We were fortunate to be able to schedule ours (Mass has a really poor appointment setting system) and got our first at Gillette last week...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 03-04-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post

I know not everybody has separate summer and winter tire sets. This experience justified having that spare set (not that I needed any justification....)
I also have two sets. Other than storing them totally worth it. Getting ready to take off the winter wheels shortly, which is a shame because I actually like the rims better than the stock VW rims that will go back on.

Maybe I should clean up the stock ones and sell them..... Hmmm.....