Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 09:17 PM

I think they are still trying to raise funds to grade and update the C&O

I met they guy in charge of the citizen side of things when I was in Cumberland riding the trail. I too got lucky with dry weather and felt lucky as you could se that sections would be very challenging and frustrating if wet.

Love the long tours on the trails.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:57 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcb View Post
Also to be fair, I'm talking like 98-deg/120% humidity. Mucho miserable.
Is that all? You had it good.

Yeah, hot and humid summers + storms (and throw in cold and messy winters too) are unfortunately par for the course around here. As I finished grad school and was interviewing for job the one full day I spent in St Louis was a gorgeous spring day, sunny, very pleasant weather. Great. I also interviewed in LA, which, of course, had the typical SoCal weather, and in the DFW area.

I sometimes wonder how different my life might have been if the weather I had experienced in St Louis had been more representative - I might have ended up like this instead:

Old 03-05-2021, 02:47 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcb View Post
It might have been a seasonal/weather problem for me, but I did a day on the Katy Trail, and between the flaaaat, gravel and hot/humid summer, it wasn't much fun. There were some sections right next to a low-traffic road, so I just went on the road to get some more speed, and some relief from the gravel. I rode from St. Jeff towards St. Louis, and bailed early when some weather rolled in.

To be fair, it was almost 20yrs ago, and though I had decent wider tires on a 'cross bike, they weren't light/plush/supple/fun tires like we got nowadays.

Also to be fair, I'm talking like 98-deg/120% humidity. Mucho miserable.

And the weather I bailed on was the Tristate Hailstorm of '01, the costliest hail event in US history. My friend/coworker who picked me up and drove me to my hotel had his car totaled from about 2-3min in the hailstorm till he got beneath an overpass. It was pretty messy.

So maybe better tires, better weather, and no bajillion-dollar-damage hailstorms bearing down on me would make for a better ride?
found a video about the hailstorm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLunam0LfhA

i did a 3-day bike packing trip on Katy Trail with a buddy. we took a train to sedalia and rode back to st charles. we encountered torrential rain the first two days that almost took us out, it was quite an experience.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=75865
Old 03-05-2021, 06:29 AM

The C&O is decently maintained but has a lot of geography acting on it, which leads to the occasional slides etc. It’s built on the water, so it’ll be wet in rainy weather.
I wouldn’t drive many hours to ride it, but as a mechanism to ride on dirt with no traffic in a major metro area, it serves its purpose. I’ve done the whole thing before and it’s a nice weekend trip. Would love to Amtrak to Pittsburgh and ride both trails all the way back someday.

The new Empire State Trail - NYC to the border and /or Buffalo, looks kinda interesting.