Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2021, 10:00 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibran View Post
I went with the direct mount eeBrakes on my 64. I figured I’m not going to ride it in the rain anyway so why not make it simple and light. Runs and brakes great with carbon clinchers and carbon tubulars. Looks like you live in the Bay Area too so same scenario as me - if it’s raining, just wait a day and it’ll be dry again.
Sense spoken here.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:36 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by elladaddy View Post
I don't see any rim brake Tarmacs. The Giant Advanced SL appears to be disc only, as does the Scott Addict RC and the Orbea Orca. Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod is disc only. Argon 18 Gallium is disc only.

For 2021, Trek Emonda is disc only.

All OPENs are disc only. Argonaut and Allied are disc only.

Roval's lightest model is disc only, as is DT-Swiss'.

You may not be interested in any of these bikes or wheels and that's fine. But for better or worse, there are fewer and fewer rim brake options.
No doubt about it, on 'factory', bikesouttaboxes and 'wheelsouttaboxes but old_fat_slow said,
Quote:
I thought conventional "rim brake" rims were going the way of the dodo.
rim brake rims and wheelsets, aren't at the 'dodo' stage yet. Neither is tubulars nor Campagnolo...

Better or worse, for sure..again, the bike industry 'tail' waging the consumer's 'dog'..
Old 03-05-2021, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elladaddy View Post
I don't see any rim brake Tarmacs. The Giant Advanced SL appears to be disc only, as does the Scott Addict RC and the Orbea Orca. Cannondale SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod is disc only. Argon 18 Gallium is disc only.
For 2021, Trek Emonda is disc only.
All OPENs are disc only. Argonaut and Allied are disc only.
None of the above will be considered (except the Giant as they sensibly have a rim frameset) for my next go fast road bike purchase.

Besides, today's msrp for some of these stock bikes is a bit nuts. Happy to spend a few bucks more to get a custom frame.

I think back to the days when we rode with front rim brakes only. Man, we went down some fast descents at 55+mph. I didn't wear a helmet either-except when I raced. The only disadvantage with having no rear rim brake was that we could not skid the rear to swing the bike around.

Last edited by zap; 03-05-2021 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Besides, today's msrp for some of these stock bikes is a bit nuts. Happy to spend a few bucks more to get a custom frame.

I think back to the days when we rode with front rim brakes only. Man, we went down some fast descents at 55+mph. I didn't wear a helmet either-except when I raced. The only disadvantage with having no rear rim brake was that we could not skid the rear to swing the bike around.
The MSRP has gotten completely out of control. I like some new bikes from Trek and Specialized, among others. And a top shelf build is like $11,000 and I'm sure it'll climb. I don't blame them for charging this if people buy them but it puts it out of reach.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
The MSRP has gotten completely out of control. I like some new bikes from Trek and Specialized, among others. And a top shelf build is like $11,000 and I'm sure it'll climb. I don't blame them for charging this if people buy them but it puts it out of reach.
My Crumpton was not cheap to build up but it has some unique bits. OK, nobody knows what a Crumpton is except the very few who have boutique bikes. Cannonade Black series carbon bikes were around US12K some years ago.

But what amuses me, US3K for a 105 equipped Trek Emonda. Partly because I just don't see the value in todays Ultegra/105 bits.........
Old 03-05-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
But what amuses me, US3K for a 105 equipped Trek Emonda. Partly because I just don't see the value in todays Ultegra/105 bits.........
That's absurd for a 105 bike, especially considering it probably has cheaper components elsewhere on the bike.

As to the value in today's Ultegra/105 I will have to disagree. I have two bikes with complete 105 group sets and a few more with Dura Ace. I like the Dura Ace better but the difference is so minute between them functionally that most people who aren't obsessive wouldn't tell the difference. 105 works really, really well.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
My Crumpton was not cheap to build up but it has some unique bits. OK, nobody knows what a Crumpton is except the very few who have boutique bikes. Cannonade Black series carbon bikes were around US12K some years ago.

LOL that extra $8 or $9K makes all the difference.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
As to the value in today's Ultegra/105 I will have to disagree.
You should look at my Trek Emonda with Ultegra 8000. Ignoring the problems I had with a defective rear derailleur (took Trek forever to diagnose...was about to join that sizable replacement crowd) and continued dodgy shifting, some Ultegra parts are corroding badly. Think Russian navy rotting away. Back in the day I raced crits using 600 Ultegra....quality parts. My first mtb had XTR.....quality parts.

I bought this bike as my not so nice day/trainer bike but based on my prior experience with Shimano, expected better.

Appreciate Campagnolo so much more and to me well worth the extra $........
Old 03-05-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:

I bought this bike as my not so nice day/trainer bike but based on my prior experience with Shimano, expected better.

I’m sort of brand agnostic these days but have had good experience with Shimano.

I have considered a Campagnolo group for my Zanconato road bike and would probably order an Ekar group for my Zanconato gravel bike if it were engineered for mechanical, which sadly it is not. I’m OK with my electronic GRX stuff but wouldn’t miss it if it were gone.

I consider a 12-speed Chorus group from time to time with the sub-compact crank they offer.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
You should look at my Trek Emonda with Ultegra 8000. Ignoring the problems I had with a defective rear derailleur (took Trek forever to diagnose...was about to join that sizable replacement crowd) and continued dodgy shifting, some Ultegra parts are corroding badly. Think Russian navy rotting away. Back in the day I raced crits using 600 Ultegra....quality parts. My first mtb had XTR.....quality parts.

I'm running 2 bikes, including an Emonda with R8000 and have yet to suffer the same fate. I'm pretty good about cleaning etc. I'm finding R8000 to be pretty great on both bikes minus the one shifter I had that croaked.

You live in a salty environ?
Old 03-05-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:

I have considered a Campagnolo group for my Zanconato road bike and would probably order an Ekar group for my Zanconato gravel bike if it were engineered for mechanical, which sadly it is not.
I think Ekar is mechanical. Brakes are disc only without rim brake option. However, if for gravel, sounds like the consensus is disc, not rim.

My All Road/Gravel Peter Weigle is rim brake, with cantilever brakes nontheless. Makes my road alloy rim brake stop on a dime by comparison.

Last edited by sevencyclist; 03-05-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:36 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Coaster brakes.
I love coaster brakes....had them on my first bike....1969 Schwinn Typhoon....loved locking up the brake and whipping the end around in a skid. I would go thru 5 tires a summer....my dad would get so mad.

I miss that bike...wish I still had it.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:49 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

Better or worse, for sure.. again , the bike industry 'tail' waging the consumer's 'dog'..
Indeed...
Old 03-05-2021, 11:59 AM
The B!

a brake at the perimeter of a spinning wheel has more mechanical advantage than a brake closer to the hub. current disc is marginally "better" than current rimbrake only because the calipers can concentrate more force for the same lever throw at the hand on a surface that can take more pressure and heat than current rims can take - but much better braking can still yet be had, out at the rim.

add the fact that current disc is clunky, heavy, inelegant, overheats, frequently finicky, and - despite anecdote - is not a vast improvement over rim, and im very confident disc, in its current form, is not the future of road braking. i dont know what is, but it aint current disc.

so for me its a pass.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
You live in a salty environ?
No. Many years ago I did ride my mtb in the surf (ocean) repeatedly while on vacation. Other than the brass nipples turning green, the XTR bits survived unscathed.

Shimano knows how to build quality products. Current Dura Ace bits we have are great, especially the pedals. The parts look good, perform very well and last.

Anyhow, long live rim brake bicycles