Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
His skills are what they are and good for him. The problem is he endangers less skilled and slower cyclists who may be descending ahead of him and upon whom he may come up suddenly.
When you're unencumbered by brain matter, it makes you more aerodynamic.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:29 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Totally with Flash. 100 percent. The guys in this video were douchebags. Almost took out some hikers and a dog: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=262680

It's the same guys(s)? Maybe they should rename the video "Pray for Brains."
I'll get in touch with them to see if they'll be descending Latigo or Piuma when you're climbing ;-)
Old 02-24-2021, 05:34 PM

My personal feeling is that if you want to do stuff like that, you've got to be professional about it and pay for a road closure.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
This guy is an asshole. Straight up. He's busy pontificating about how cycling needs to be less about the rules, blah, blah, blah... How about following a few basic norms such as not weaving in and out of double yellow lines, such as in the screen shot above.

What a ****wad.
Agreed. If someone wants to put their health and life at risk, that's fine. But he's endangering others. Blatantly and repeatedly.

I'm not at all sure why he wears a helmet.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Agreed. If someone wants to put their health and life at risk, that's fine. But he's endangering others. Blatantly and repeatedly.

I'm not at all sure why he wears a helmet.
Keeps his hair out of his face.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I'll get in touch with them to see if they'll be descending Latigo or Piuma when you're climbing ;-)
Thanks for helping a Brother out
Old 02-24-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
This guy is an asshole. Straight up. He's busy pontificating about how cycling needs to be less about the rules, blah, blah, blah... How about following a few basic norms such as not weaving in and out of double yellow lines, such as in the screen shot above.

What a ****wad.
Those are screen captures from one copycat video. In many of Safa's descents he's taking greater risks or violating more rules of the road, depending on your perspective.

All this has me thinking of the KOM chaser in SF who collided with an elderly gentleman; the 71-year-old pedestrian succumbed to his injuries. I wonder if anyone would praise that guy's sprinting and descending skills.

Last edited by barnabyjones; 02-24-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabyjones View Post
Those are screen captures from one copycat video. In many of Safa's descents he's taking greater risks or violating more rules of the road, depending on your perspective.

All this has me thinking of the KOM chaser in SF who collided with an elderly gentleman; the 71-year-old pedestrian succumbed to his injuries. I wonder if anyone would praise that guy's sprinting and descending skills.
I rode with that guy a week before he killed that pedestrian. I'll never forget thinking to myself "man that dude goes downhill fast." (Up was another story) Or, the dude who cut over into the other lane on South Park in Berkeley trying to set a Strava descending record. The cyclist died instantly. The driver that hit him has to live with that event seared into his (or her) memory the rest of their lives.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:56 PM

This stuff has consequences. Anecdotally, I'm hearing or reading about more crashes in the San Gabriels and Santa Monicas. One social media influencer, who happens to be a super fast descender, the only rider whose wheel I've lost on fast sections of Hwy 2, went down pretty hard on GMR a few weeks ago. Cgolvin, you may know who I'm referring to; he mostly wears Rapha, rides a lovely $15k ti/carbon bike and has a very large, um, personality. What's most concerning to me is that when I run into these guys in the mountains, it's pretty obvious after a 5 minute conversation that they have very little concern for other cyclists, motorists and pedestrians. Narcissism at its finest.

Last edited by barnabyjones; 02-24-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I rode with that guy a week before he killed that pedestrian. I'll never forget thinking to myself "man that dude goes downhill fast." (Up was another story) Or, the dude who cut over into the other lane on South Park in Berkeley trying to set a Strava descending record. The cyclist died instantly. The driver that hit him has to live with that event seared into his (or her) memory the rest of their lives.
The South Park incident was a guy trying to reclaim his descent KOM after Strava notified him that he’d lost it. His family sued Strava for running unsanctioned races and lost. Strava changed its user agreement after that.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:41 PM

I am a "hair on fire" descender, and love going downhill FAST. it's fun, and involves some risk and skill, but it's FUN and i consider it a well earned reward for the climbing that got me to the top.

that said, i'm also a pretty big moto enthusiast and also love my small euro turbo cars. i learned a long time ago that the one thing to never forget it "respect the yellow line" - coming through corners, you just never know when what's coming the other way, and you also hope/pray/believe that they will also be respecting that painted barrier.

unless you've got a radio in your ear and a pro spotter, it's a bad move to cross the line. it's one thing to make risk decisions for one's self, but it's another entirely to change someone else's risk score.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
My personal feeling is that if you want to do stuff like that, you've got to be professional about it and pay for a road closure.
That's not a bad idea? Haven't they done closed canyon runs for cars and motorcycles in the past? Get a liability policy a pile of waivers, maybe a port o let or two and let people give it a run for $5.00

Apply for a permit and have an ambulance standing by.

Who puts their name on the insurance policy?
Old 02-24-2021, 08:12 PM

I love descending fast, but would never cross a double yellow blind like that. Nothing wrong with it when you have a clear sight of the road ahead tho. When you look at the motorbikes speedo the speeds are not nearly as insane as the lane violations. I’ve hit 60 twice, both times in Colorado, but on semi closed descents. Hell, I’d do it again if given the chance...it’s the best part of the ride for me after all the hard work. Thanks for posting the video.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:28 PM
That guy..

Like the evolution of mashSF and Macaframa.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Like the evolution of mashSF and Macaframa.
Hah! I hadn't considered that but it does seem to be the case. Mash/Macaframa felt like the counter-culture in cycling back in the 90s/2000s. Safa today - i wonder what's tomorrow.
Closed Thread