Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2021, 05:32 PM
Post Mod-ern

I second this recommendation . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Check out the Cooperstown, NY area. Wonderful cycling (road and gravel), many lodging options, attractions for non-cyclists, and several forum members in the area who can provide route recommendations. If you want accommodations a bit more upscale, check out The Inn at Cooperstown. The owners are experienced cyclists and just wonderful people.

Greg
I know the owners and can hook you up.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 01-30-2021, 05:43 PM
Post Mod-ern

Also a great and underused area . . .

. . . is Brant Lake and Chestertown in the southern Adirondacks. My friend Drew owns The Hub in Brant Lake, a combination road bike mecca, mountain bike park, bike shop, restaurant, tavern, wine bar, and live music venue. Yes, he does ALL those things in that one location. He also owns an AirBnB house right next door that sleeps ten. There's also a kids nature trail to the top of the mountain where the MTB park is, and a dock around the corner where you can launch your kayak. Also convenient to river rafting, hiking, sailing, etc.

You can't go wrong. Here's a couple of pics from a ride I did with him this past September. Last pic is him with Hub in the Background on the right and the AirBnB house on the left. It's 2.5 hours north of NYC and close to I-87.

BBD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01_P1070008_2.jpg (97.2 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 02_P1070144_2.jpg (143.1 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg 03_P1070186_2.jpg (114.9 KB, 166 views)
Old 01-30-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
. . . is Brant Lake and Chestertown in the southern Adirondacks. My friend Drew owns The Hub in Brant Lake, a combination road bike mecca, mountain bike park, bike shop, restaurant, tavern, wine bar, and live music venue. Yes, he does ALL those things in that one location. He also owns an AirBnB house right next door that sleeps ten. There's also a kids nature trail to the top of the mountain where the MTB park is, and a dock around the corner where you can launch your kayak. Also convenient to river rafting, hiking, sailing, etc.

You can't go wrong. Here's a couple of pics from a ride I did with him this past September. Last pic is him with Hub in the Background on the right and the AirBnB house on the left. It's 2.5 hours north of NYC and close to I-87.

BBD
Just think how lovely those trees must have been 2 weeks later!
Old 01-31-2021, 08:56 AM

Nj??

How about a short hop over for the NJ Grand Fondo in Morristown on September 12th. Really great routes and some entertainment for your family.

https://www.granfondonj.com/
Old 01-31-2021, 09:58 AM
Post Mod-ern

Why, yes . . .

. . . everything DID get nicer a few weeks later!

BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Just think how lovely those trees must have been 2 weeks later!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ciclismo_Adirondacks_Kraus_3418_800.jpg (74.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg P1100016_2_800.jpg (111.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3784_2_800.jpg (114.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3972_2_800.jpg (147.6 KB, 114 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
I used to do bird research around the quabbin and had access to areas closed to the public. So cool to see remnant stone walls marking fields now reforested and rusted out abandoned tractors surrounded by 75 year old trees. I used to ride on the bike allowed roads, too and always wished there was more legal riding options in there. I do know State Police patrols those roads on ATVs, so best to mind the restrictions.

To the OP, if you can figure out how to get out to western MA and ride Zerah Fiske Rd in Shelburn, I suggest the N to S direction and then Bardwell’s Ferry over the Deerfield River. Those roads are super special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdog View Post
I’ll just say to the OP that many roads/trails are closed in there but clearly very heavily used based on strava heatmap. 😉
Do you have any thoughts on this Quabbin gravel loop? I put it together with heatmaps and the Quabbin Access Map, which shows good detail. Though I wonder if the gravel surface is very rugged in some parts, something I've encountered on some service roads in some state parks in the area.
Anyway, I've been looking for ideas for late spring gravel rides in MA that I haven't already done.

Instagram
Old 03-04-2021, 08:41 AM
Registered (ab)User

I think all of my recommendations have already been mentioned:

- in VT, any subset -- or, hell, if yer up for it, all -- of the Six Gaps
- in Western MA (Berkshires), Mount Greylock or the 80-mile Sheffield to Bash Bish route
- Central NY ...yeah, I'm not sure how the Finger Lakes came up in a thread about New England, but I definitely see the similarity in road riding [edit: oh, wait, did "NE" mean North-East and not New England? nevermind...] ...Watkins Glen makes a nice home base for rides in all four cardinal directions...though my experience was that the difference between an awesome epic route and a Gee-That-Ride-Was-Lame route was often simply which fork in one road you took. Wish I could remember the details so I could steer you towards the former.

Last edited by Bob Ross; 03-04-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:55 AM

no idea what 2021 will do, but Vermont has gravel events and races from mid spring through mid fall, almost every other weekend. a couple are back-to-back, saturday/sunday.
and they are all spectacular!
Cross Mountain Crusher in the Catskills was awesome too. Even in the blizzard a couple years ago.
I am craving to move back to the area just for the cycling.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:44 PM
Post Mod-ern

If you're wanting to go north . . .

. . . then check THIS out. I designed the tour and I am lead guide.

I can also hook you up with lots of different gravel.

BBD
Old 03-04-2021, 02:05 PM

As was mentioned above. 6 Gaps in VT. Also, the Tour de Notches in NH, or the cross NH Adventure Trail.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBSky View Post
How about a short hop over for the NJ Grand Fondo in Morristown on September 12th. Really great routes and some entertainment for your family.

https://www.granfondonj.com/
Always wanted to do this ride, am from NJ, and friends raved about it but the dates have never worked out and this year I'm getting married on the 11th so definitely a no-go

I'll also second Bob Ross' suggestion on the Berkshires, tons of great riding around there and Greylock is a killer climb. I'll probably be up there for some road riding this summer depending on how '21 shakes out.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:50 PM

Because you are also bringing a wife and toddler, you may want something with more things to do. I'd think either Saratoga Springs or Manchester Vt. Both at 4 hrs drives max.

You can hit Tour of Battenkill roads on your road bikes, a little gravel will not hurt from either place and the rides in all directions from both are good.

Your wife and toddler have a decent village center to mill around, you have some lakes nearby to hit a beach, and if Manchester, the Vermont horse show is in Dorset if you want to see ponies with the young'in. And a decent farmers market.

If your wife wants a little me time, there is a nice Spa at the Equinox in Manchester where she can relax.

The hiking is grand too.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 03-04-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:04 PM

Agree with Finger Lakes being a good option as that area has great riding options and activities outside of riding - boating/watersports on one of the lakes, wineries, hiking, etc. I particularly enjoyed the riding near Keuka Lake.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:12 PM

As someone new to the NYC area, appreciate all the great suggestions here!
Old 03-04-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
Do you have any thoughts on this Quabbin gravel loop? I put it together with heatmaps and the Quabbin Access Map, which shows good detail. Though I wonder if the gravel surface is very rugged in some parts, something I've encountered on some service roads in some state parks in the area.
Anyway, I've been looking for ideas for late spring gravel rides in MA that I haven't already done.
I live in Amherst. The trails on the West side of the Quabbin and East of 202 are very steep and rugged. The fire roads/gates off 202 are open to bikes but the trails are not. Be warned. Some may know better than me, but much of your route looks technically off-limits to bikes.