Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 11:21 AM
Ari W

Indoor Training - warm climate

I have been thinking about getting a rear wheel trainer, but hey, I do live in FL. Several folks I ride with have something at home and Zwift, some more than others. I am caught between 2 thoughts, the first being that I would ride more if the trainer was an option, just hop on and go. The other is that considering how easy it is to get outside here, is it worth the money?

Anyone else in a warm climate setup a home training area? How often are you using it, and what equipment do you like?

Thanks,
-Ari
Old 03-02-2021, 11:34 AM

Not like yours, but I ride my trainer two different times during the year. Winter, as normal, and August, because it's too damn hot to get a decent ride in. Toss in the stray week that it's like riding in soup because of humidity, and I guess my answer is yeah, it's worth it.
I use a kickr & zwift
Old 03-02-2021, 11:34 AM

Whether I ride indoors / outdoors depends on how much time I have on a given day (and the weather of course though that doesn't seem too much of an issue for you!) since doing the same training session takes a lot less time (incl. before/after) than outdoors. So perhaps you'll ride more if the reason you're not going out to ride is because you've no time...?
Old 03-02-2021, 11:38 AM

I'll use mine year round and I'm in NW Arizona. During the week, my primary outside riding is on the MTB, and at 56, the pounding adds up after a few consecutive days so I'll use the trainer as a break. Once it gets hot, there will be more trainer rides. I'd like to ride in the early am, but my work schedule prevents that. On weekends, I like to drive to a parking lot in town and take off on my road bike. It's a little sketchy to ride from the house.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariw View Post
I have been thinking about getting a rear wheel trainer, but hey, I do live in FL. Several folks I ride with have something at home and Zwift, some more than others. I am caught between 2 thoughts, the first being that I would ride more if the trainer was an option, just hop on and go. The other is that considering how easy it is to get outside here, is it worth the money?

Anyone else in a warm climate setup a home training area? How often are you using it, and what equipment do you like?

Thanks,
-Ari
I live in Louisiana and had a Wahoo Kick. I found that it did not help my fitness. Like you stated, we really can ride 12 months out of the year. What it was nice for was rainy days. I do not like and will not ride in the rain if I can keep from it. Where we live, it is not hard certain times of the year to have rain mess with your riding routine. The Kickr was more than I needed. A simple trainer is enough for me to get in some training when I am cancelled because of rain. But my riding fitness is much better if I am getting out and riding and the Kickr gave me a reason NOT to do that.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:15 PM

I did more trainer rides this past year during the summer than I ever have. I did Zwift races a few times a month and I really enjoyed it. I got the intensity and the competition I wanted. With 2 fans and an open window or aircon it was tolerable. I think it can be beneficial to your riding.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:21 PM

Keep an eye open for a second hand one.
I've seen some perfectly good trainers go for ridiculously low prices for a number of reasons - people don't know market price, people have no idea what they are selling, just looking to clear space, etc.

That way if you realize indoor is not for you then you're not out much money and can even resell it.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:22 PM

in my experience/opinion, there are two ways to look at this.

if you ride for the pure enjoyment of riding, forget indoor. if you can ride all year round outside, and riding is what makes you happy, go outside and ride when you can and when you feel like it.

on the other hand, if you're training for something, or following a structured program of some sort, indoor is way easier to more precisely hit the numbers that a prescribed by the program. you're not hampered by wind, hills, red lights, cars, directions, turns or any of the things that might interrupt an interval or training block.

a lot of us ride the trainer in the winter just to stay in shape for the spring, but you dont have that in FL.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
-Ari
I live about an hour up the coast from you. I use a trainer in the winter normally because there isn't enough daylight. That being said, I bought a tacx smart trainer last March due to pandemic, but haven't taken it out of the box. Working at home, combined with cycling being one of the few uninterrupted activities, has kept me outdoors.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I have always only ever used rollers with a fan for indoor training only when it was pouring rain too hard to ride outside

30+ years ago I did try a rear wheel type resistance trainer & hated the mind numbing effect
At least with rollers I still feel like I'm cycling

I only use the rollers when its pouring & only so I don't lose fitness
Old 03-02-2021, 02:20 PM

Here in Cincinnati, I ride inside year-round. With my family and work schedule, I can't often get outside on the road. In the winter it's maybe 40 degrees in our sunroom/3-season room. In the summer it's 90. I sweat more in the summer, but it works. I've found that more and more I prefer to ride inside. I've always enjoyed training and doing a Zwift workout or race in an hour is a great workout. No cars, no stop signs, no rain, no flats.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:01 AM

Nowadays I tend to ride at 10 PM so the indoor trainer really helps during the weekdays. When weather is warmer I will ride on the road and on the trail but that is usually the weekends. I plan to keep using the trainer during the week. kickr/zwift.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:40 PM
Ari W

Thanks for the feedback, there is someone on FB marketplace who has a few trainers that would save me some $ on getting into it, which is what inspired this. I just don’t know if it will become a thing until I try it, I guess.

I have used rollers and a rear wheel trainer, rollers being good for recovery (mine had no resistance) and form, and just not liking the other trainer. But a quieter trainer and some interactivity, like zwift, might help.

Ari
Old 03-04-2021, 09:55 AM

If you can swing it get a wheel off/direct drive trainer.
The difference in the user experience between even the best wheel on trainer and the cheapest Direct Drive really is night and day, so if you try a wheel on trainer you never know if you truly enjoy indoor riding.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:13 PM
Too Few Miles

Orlando checking in.

Honestly if the weather is not good I just skip it.

But for those times where I *must* deal with some indoor, I just set up the trainer out by the pool and crank the lanai fans up as high as they go and put the set up under it to get as much as air as I can.

And a lot of towels. And a fixed gear that I can easily wipe down.

Super low-tech. Gargage is impossibly hot, and inside is rather impractical with our layout.

Joel