Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2021, 10:54 AM

That's good to know. The original owner wasn't aware of the rarity of a DKS rear end on an Ottrott and you'd think if you paid 12k for that specific of a change over the standard Ottrott setup it might ring a bell. So I think that it being right at the crossover point of switching to the ST Pivot system makes the most sense. Also 2003 seems correct for the rest of the build. It's still the only DKS I've seen on an Ottrott though. Cool frame. P.S. IMO the bike is the frame, the wheels and components are just lego pieces.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:11 AM

I wouldn’t mind the group set or wheels, but the value of the bike is definitely in the frameset. Harlequin fade carbon tubes and the DKS rear is a cool combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2021, 12:08 PM

She’s a goner.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylarue View Post
She’s a goner.
To a forum member. It's right at the upper limit of my size, so it may reappear here if I can't make it work. I'll post a photo when I get it.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:46 PM

Awesome, that is an awesome bike. If it doesn’t fit let me know. I might sell something shortly and wouldn’t mind replacing with this although size is on my way outer limit too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
To a forum member. It's right at the upper limit of my size, so it may reappear here if I can't make it work. I'll post a photo when I get it.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Congrats! That frame is a stunner.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:42 PM

Update

Quote:
The seller decided to keep it; not that surprising. I am first in line if he changes his mind again, though. I will keep everyone posted.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:39 AM

Quote:
The seller decided to keep it; not that surprising. I am first in line if he changes his mind again, though. I will keep everyone posted.
Brutal. You seem to be taking this well (possibly because the fit was a gamble), but nonetheless: there’s a special place in eBay hell for sellers like him...
Old 02-23-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylarue View Post
Brutal. You seem to be taking this well (possibly because the fit was a gamble), but nonetheless: there’s a special place in eBay hell for sellers like him...
Yes, the fit was a gamble, but also a) I have a Hors and an Ottrott, so wasn't really sure I needed a hybrid; b) he was nice and honest about it. He's just too attached to the bike, which I totally understand.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:16 AM

Wait, so the guy sold it on eBay and then backed out?!
Old 02-23-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbjor View Post
Wait, so the guy sold it on eBay and then backed out?!
Yes. I bought it, paid for it, and was in the process of setting up a meet to pick it up (he's about 50 miles away from me). But apparently once he looked at the reality of letting it go, he just couldn't do it. Look at the listing -- it's a 2003, definitely custom for him, but now he's in his 70s and not using it much if at all. So he decided to sell. But then, as I said, the reality of it ...

Ebay requires the seller to say the item is "damaged or out of stock" to cancel a sale, so he did that with them, but he was honest with me.

I personally have my 1975 Nishiki ONP that was my racing bike back then. My back no longer allows me to ride it. But it's going to hang on my wall until I'm in my grave, so I understand bike attachment. I doubt I'd be able to give up something like the DKS/Ottrott after 18 years.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yes. I bought it, paid for it, and was in the process of setting up a meet to pick it up (he's about 50 miles away from me).
Man, that's a bummer, it's a really beautiful frame. Not so sure about those bars. There's another Ottrott frame (in my size lol) with bids starting at $1750 ... <wistful sigh>
Old 02-23-2021, 05:56 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
I personally have my 1975 Nishiki ONP that was my racing bike back then. My back no longer allows me to ride it. But it's going to hang on my wall until I'm in my grave, so I understand bike attachment. I doubt I'd be able to give up something like the DKS/Ottrott after 18 years.
Apologies for the drift … this reminds me of the "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" episode in which Jerry drives his Carrera RS, and describes it as "a dead guy's car -- I bought it off a dead guy and no one's buying it until I'm dead".
Old 02-24-2021, 07:08 AM

Haha - I feel that. It seems that when I leave my bikes alone in the basement they multiply...
Old 02-24-2021, 07:31 AM
ZhugeLiang

bjf pal, you are very patient and understanding. Thank you.

Tags
ottrott, serotta