Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 03:07 PM
n - 1

When’s the last time you broke a chain?

I’ve always carried a chain tool. I’m not sure why, since I’ve never broken a chain. Ever. Maybe it’s the Boy Scout motto that’s been ringing through my head since childhood.

Other than on multi-day epic rides, anyone carry a chain tool?

On my road bike, I’ve whittled down to a tube, lever, and 2 CO2. On my MTB, tube, lever, small tool (3-6mm hex, T25) and small Lezyne pump. Same on the gravel bike. Now I have like 3 Park Tool CT5’s and multi tools laying around!
Old 06-02-2020, 03:24 PM
Older Than You

Never had a broken chain but rode with a guy that had one break twice in just a couple of weeks.
I have a chain tool integrated with the multi tool I carry.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:29 PM

I’ve broken a chain on an MTB ride. And in fact, due to reinstallation error, I broke it again shortly afterwards on the trail! Good thing I had the tool. I just put it in an easy gear and limped out of the trails and called it a day after that - I didn’t trust the chain anymore

I always carry one on ‘real’ rides, just because...
Old 06-02-2020, 03:29 PM

Never broke one on the road. Never.

It's common with mtb's, though. Chains generally break because they were compromised by an earlier event, like chain suck, and chains take a beating on mtb's.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:32 PM

Never, however I've used my multitool several times to help others.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:35 PM

2008. I broke the guide point off on a shimano pin mid way through installing on chain I had removed to clean. Decided to remove the half pressed broken pin, and repress it in without the guide point because I was silly and impatient. It snapped rolling out of the driveway, at the botched pin, about 3 rides after my "repair". Could have been so much worse. Learned my lesson.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:53 PM

Never on my road bike.

Riding and racing for 40+ years. A couple of times on old MTBs. I never carry a chain tool on the road. I have one on a multitool that I keep in my MTB saddle bag.

On the road, I’m riding tubeless now, which are great. Since going tubeless, I carry two Tubolito tubes, two 16g CO2 cartridges, an inflater, a multitool, and a Dynaplug Bullet tubeless repair kit. I’ve not had a flat in the two years I’ve ridden tubeless, so the stuff is never used.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:55 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

One of the Crossroads Classic crits (cannot remember which one) about 15 years ago.

Needless to say. Race over.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:59 PM
Randomhead

I have broken a chain twice. Once on my fatbike, which I had allowed to get rusty doing winter commuting. The quick link broke

The other time I think I just let it get too old. Didn't have a quick link, fixed it the old fashioned way with a multitool chain tool. The chain lasted 200 km and then I swapped everything out.

Multitools are heavy, but I think the chain tool is worth it. But I try to make sure to carry a quick link
Old 06-02-2020, 04:01 PM
LateStart

Always on 'shake down' rides

Broken newly-installed chains several times in the last many years; certainly a testament to my mediocre wrenching. Once fixed I've never had a chain wear out and break before I could replace it. Carry a tool always, not heavy and don't want to be without it.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:02 PM

I think it was about 2001, but there may have been one incident since then. I generally have a chain tool and spare links with me so I can be useful for helping out someone else, which I've been able to do.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:05 PM
Two wheels good

I've done tens of thousands of miles on the road and don't carry a chain tool but I once did break a chain on a climb at 5:45 AM. It threw me on the ground pretty hard. Nice way to start the day.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:14 PM

Personally haven’t broken a chain on a bike in 11 or 12 years, but saw a chain break on a group ride last summer. A quick link from another rider saved the guys ride, since then I’ve carried one in my seat pack at all times
Old 06-02-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latestart View Post
Broken newly-installed chains several times in the last many years; certainly a testament to my mediocre wrenching. Once fixed I've never had a chain wear out and break before I could replace it.
I've only had one chain break. That was also due to an installation error using a Shimano pin on a new chain.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:44 PM

I broke a chain once, or rather bent the plates beyond use. Unfortunately, I also broke a rear derailleur (in half), and also bent the front derailleur. So at that point a chain tool would be of little use. Fellow PLer drmojo to the rescue! We were a short walk from his home, so I was able to borrow a bike to finish the ride.