Have a great new life.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:48 AM

I need to save some $
Old 03-03-2019, 09:53 AM

Wow somehow missed this originally.

Best regards Tom!

Bravo
Old 03-03-2019, 12:04 PM

Happy for Spectrum guys, but a loss for the rest of us. I may have to think about this. The one second hand Spectrum ti frame I had was amazing. Tweaking it to be custom for me in a new frame is very tempting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpOO24HEAM.jpg (86.3 KB, 671 views)
Old 03-03-2019, 08:26 PM

I worked in a shop in PA that sent a few repairs up to Tom. Always a pleasure to talk to him and kept Spectrum at the top of my short list based on those interactions... and the Merlins we sold and ti Super that the shop owner rode. End of an era. Sorry I won't get to have one made for me.

I remember sending a customers Jim Redcay bike up to the barn a week before she left on a cross country ride as we noticed a cracked head tube in her last check over on the bike. They fixed the broken head tube, did a quick paint to protect the repaired area, and sent it back in time to make the trip. It went back for the full re finish when she returned from the trip and looked awesome. Tom's paint work was always incredible. Best in whatever the future holds to Tom and Jeff.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
I worked in a shop in PA that sent a few repairs up to Tom. Always a pleasure to talk to him and kept Spectrum at the top of my short list based on those interactions... and the Merlins we sold and ti Super that the shop owner rode. End of an era. Sorry I won't get to have one made for me.

I remember sending a customers Jim Redcay bike up to the barn a week before she left on a cross country ride as we noticed a cracked head tube in her last check over on the bike. They fixed the broken head tube, did a quick paint to protect the repaired area, and sent it back in time to make the trip. It went back for the full re finish when she returned from the trip and looked awesome. Tom's paint work was always incredible. Best in whatever the future holds to Tom and Jeff.
^^This.

Tom and Jeff are master craftsmen who can and will do repairs on old school bikes as well as build contemporary frames, and still fabricate lugs in-shop. Amazing. My biggest regret in the bike biz was not jumping on a job offer from Tom some 28 years ago.

Be well, Gentlemen, you have earned a respite from the bench/torch/keyboard/paint shop.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:08 AM

Well, today is the last day to get your order in to Spectrum.

I wish nothing but the best for Tom and Jeff in their future endeavors and retirement!

I visited them in April, and it was an awesome experience. Tom and Jeff checked out a Ross Signature (full Reynolds 531) that I own.

Last edited by WNC rider; 07-31-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:37 PM
Questionable User

Done

Thanks for the note and photo. We have now closed our order book. But boy it is a big one. We are now about a year back with titanium orders and about nine months on steel. I'd hoped to have somewhat less than that at this point, but I also had to be fair about the whole thing.
Riding into the sunset,
Old 07-31-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
Thanks for the note and photo. We have now closed our order book. But boy it is a big one. We are now about a year back with titanium orders and about nine months on steel. I'd hoped to have somewhat less than that at this point, but I also had to be fair about the whole thing.
Riding into the sunset,
Congratulations to you guys! Thank you for your contributions to the sport over all of these years!!!

Texbike
Old 07-31-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post

Riding into the sunset,
Wish I could have made it in, but just wasn't in the cards to be able to travel out there until late in the year. Congrats on the full order book though - it has to feel good to close the doors on such a high note and know how much respect the community has for you two..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 PM

Your work brings so much joy to every single rider I know that owns or has owned one of your creations. Thanks to everyone involved with Spectrum for putting passion and craftsmanship out there for the world to enjoy, you guys rock.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:02 PM
ZhugeLiang

It's only appropriate...

https://www.spectrum-cycles.com/history.php

Quote:
History

May, 1976
Tom graduates from The University of Rochester with a BA in Sociology, signs on for a 5 year apprenticeship with custom frame builder Bill Boston of Sweedsboro, NJ. and is fired in about two and a half months.

September 1976
Obsessed with bicycle construction, Tom quietly builds his first five hand made frames in a shed in New Hampshire.

October 1976
Kellogg moves to Allentown, PA. and sets up shop as Tom Kellogg Frames.

1977 - November, 1980
Tom Kellogg Frames are ridden to two professional world championships, two amateur silver world medals and over 20 national championships.

November, 1980 - June, 1982
Tom sets up the legendary "Signature" department at Ross Bicycles and develops the Ross Signature line. After a life threatening motorcycle accident, Tom leaves Ross Bicycles with legendary finisher Michael Overcash and founds Spectrum Cycles.

March 1985
Tom hires Ross Bicycles Master Builder Jeff Duser away from the Signature Division of Ross.

Winter of '87-'88
Tom Kellogg works with newly formed Merlin Metal Works to develop the first "modern" titanium road frame and production begins February 1988.

July 1988
The first Spectrum Custom Titanium bicycles are built.

October 1991
Tom tests the first "Super" or "Extra-Light" in October '91 and Titanium Frames are forever changed.

Summer 1993
Spectrum conducts the testing of Time's first carbon fork during summer of '93. The first prototype is virtually unrideable. Time is persuaded to improve the fork for Merlin and Spectrum to Tom's specifications. Since then, Tom has been asked to road test many of the top carbon forks now on the market. His prototype and testing skills are sought after by the best in the industry. Spectrum continues consulting Merlin Metal works in an ongoing basis as their new products are developed and tested.

2006 - 2007
Tom acts as Reynolds' outside consultant in the development of the Reynolds UL high performance fork. He was instrumental in determining the various ride and stiffness characteristics. He developed new bench testing procedures now used by many in the industry to ensure superior performance.

2001-2009
Spectrum's 25th anniversary steel bicycles were conceived to celebrate a quarter century of Spectrum excellence. 25 special edition, numbered frames custom built by Tom and Jeff. Most are too beautiful to ride...and they are all gone.

2006-Present
Spectrum's 30th anniversary steel bicycles were developed to honor the classic builders who were Tom's mentors when he started building in the mid 70s. Using only materials available by the late 70s, these frames are true classics. Hand numbered frames custom built by Tom and Jeff. The materials for only a few more are still available for reservation.

2010-Present
After Merlin discontinued custom frame production, Tom and Rob Vandermark of Seven Cycles reestablished their working relationship from the early days at Merlin in order to enable Spectrum to continue sourcing their custom frames from the premier titanium builders in the world. Merlin continues to provide Spectrum specific frame materials and Seven provides their fabrication expertise. This arrangement has enabled Tom to keep an even tighter control over all aspects of the Spectrum titanium frame production.

Retirement announcement
Old 07-31-2019, 07:30 PM

Finish up that list and go get some sunshine, you two.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:40 PM

Congrats on a job well done!
Old 08-01-2019, 12:07 AM

Ha! Such a great story. I inquired about a new frame but just couldnt commit to it. I now kinda regret that choice as a frame made by you two would be legendary.

Happy welding those last few frames!!

Tags
custom, retirement, spectrum, steel, titanium