Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 08-21-2018, 02:39 PM

It warms my heart to see you and your wife on these adventures. Really does buddy.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Dave, I've enjoyed all the photos of your work in the past; but the touring shots of you two really using the machines; to me; kicks your work up to another level. How can a builder do better product R&D than this?? Well done and thanks for sharing.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:27 AM

I saw your pictures on your feed! It looked like you all were having a grand time.

This time was priceless. I'm sure you have wonderful memories, many tales to tell and many inside jokes. Great way to reengage and get away.

Well done!
Old 08-24-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
excellent!

what are those modernish looking compact bars that work with the quill stem?

i love it.
I have the Highway 1's on my commuter and while I bought them to solve the issue that you state: 26.0 and shallow drop, I must say that these are excellent bars. They feel very comfortable and the quality appears to be very good.

Dimension stuff is also nice - sometimes fussing about brands names is a waste of time. Case in point, an Ellis with a cheap, but perfectly useful, Dimension handlebar!
Old 02-26-2019, 03:47 PM
IamEllis

Some more Strada Fango goodness!

Shannon wanted her Strada Fango to accept 27.5x2.35" tires so she could do some off-roading or epic gravel riding in addition to standard road touring. Here is it setup with my custom mountain/road Di2 mix and fat tires.

I love this image because the powdercoat is just translucent enough to see the fine line of silver between the top tube lug and the head tube extension. Almost mirrors the blue stripe on the Cane Creek headset too!

In the back she's got an 11x42T cassette, and an XT Di2 rear derailleur direct mounted to the Paragon low mount disc dropouts. Also a slick wire guide on the dropout so no Di2 wires get accidentally clamped in the QR! AND, stainless washers brazed onto the eyelets so no more chipped paint when you install and remove the rack or fenders.

Up front you can just barely see my custom fabricated offset spacer in the FD clamp that allows me to run a 46/36 Ultegra Cross crank. Also my nifty little Di2 port.

The goods!

Old 02-26-2019, 06:17 PM

Stunning work as always Dave - a few questions:

- What size road wheelset would she be able to plug/play there? 700x38 or 650x47 or ??

- What drives the choice for 36/46 w the MTB cassette, vs. sub-compact with a road cassette and der's (RX805)?

- What kind of front rack does this one contemplate? Sized for something off the shelf?

- Why QR vs. TA?

Lastly, that powdercoat is amazing - that's not a question - just a compliment to your chosen painter
Old 02-26-2019, 06:38 PM

Your strata fango are simply class.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 AM
IamEllis

Lots of questions, I'll answer some here, and then add a post with some more pics that should answer the rest.

On this particular bike, it'll take a full size 27.5" mountain bike tire, (I think those Thunder Burt's are 2.25", so 57mm) As for 700c wheels, it has plenty of fork length and space under the bridges for at least 40mm tires without fenders. Every Strada Fango I build is a little different depending on how the rider plans to use it. Because Shannon wanted clearance for wide MTB tires, the chainstays are a bit longer and the fork span longer as well, but it's all part of the discussion that we had before any metal gets cut.

As for the gearing, I've played around with lots of options to get lower gearing with my Di2 setups. My first Strada Fango that I displayed at NAHBS Denver in 2013 got an XTR crank with 44x30 rings up front, an 11x34 XTR cassette in the back along with a modified 7970 RD with a long cage to handle that mountain cassette. In order to allow the FD to mount low enough on the seat tube, I had to bend the driveside chainstay a bit as well. The whole setup worked really well, and I swapped back and forth with a standard compact crank (50x34) over the years that I rode that bike. (see pic attached below) I really loved that bike, but swapping the cranks back and forth and fiddling with the FD was kind of a PITA, so when Shimano started offering their wide range cassettes (11x40, 11x42) and XTR Di2, I hoped that it would plug and play with their road stuff. Unfortunately this was not the case, apparently the "brains" of the Di2 stuff is in the FD, so they need to be matched sets, ie, road RD w/ road FD, and vice versa with the mountain derailleurs. So, with the wide range in the back, I figured that I wouldn't need the 30T ring up front, and could get away with a standard cross crank (46x34, I did swap the stock 36T for a 34T), and have plenty of high and low end for a bike like this. The problem was, how do you get an MTB FD that's designed for a much wider chainline to work with a road crank? I finally worked out an offset shim that would fit into the 34.9mm FD clamp on my 28.6mm seattube that would just do the trick! Over the years that I've been using this setup, I my Strada Fango has done everything from Cycle Oregon (setup with 700x30 road wheels) to our Sierra Cascades fully loaded tour this past summer (with 650x40 wheels) and I've never needed a higher or lower gear. (FWIW, when I worked up this Di2 hack, there were not nearly as many options for subcompact cranks out there, so it's not to say they are not viable options going forward. I really like the smaller jump between chainrings on my setup, and frankly for average rides I almost never even use the smaller ring since the 46 up front with the 11x40 gives me more than enough options.)

Finally, QR vs. Thru-Axle, on this bike we went QR simply because Shannon's husband already had a Strada Fango with QR hubs and it would allow them to swap wheels back and forth rather than having dedicated wheels for each bike. That said, most disc brake bikes that I'm doing these days have Thru-Axle.

Cheers,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Stunning work as always Dave - a few questions:

- What size road wheelset would she be able to plug/play there? 700x38 or 650x47 or ??

- What drives the choice for 36/46 w the MTB cassette, vs. sub-compact with a road cassette and der's (RX805)?

- What kind of front rack does this one contemplate? Sized for something off the shelf?

- Why QR vs. TA?

Lastly, that powdercoat is amazing - that's not a question - just a compliment to your chosen painter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg strada_fango_01.jpg (107.8 KB, 165 views)
Old 02-27-2019, 08:53 AM
IamEllis

Racks and fenders anyone?

Here's another shot of Shannon's Strada Fango, same wheels, just with Schwalbe G-One Speed 650x40 tires, Berthoud stainless fenders and Tubus racks. It's basically the same setup that Deborah and I used on out cross country tour this past summer. (Did I mention we got ZERO flats over 2500 miles on these tires setup tubeless!)

I don't have any photos of her bike with 700c road wheels, but I've run that setup on my Strada Fango many times over the years and while it's not a full on race bike, it's more than competent as a road bike for long days in the saddle.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:40 AM

Thanks Dave - that fills in the gaps nicely.. What a beautiful setup all the way around - and very practical too. I love the attention to detail and thought that goes into this level of custom building - not just the frame, but the entire package. It's impressive.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:17 AM

To echo what Clean39T said above, your attention to detail shows you are a true master of the craft.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:04 PM
ZhugeLiang

Can I borrow it for my New Mexico trip?
Old 03-02-2019, 07:55 AM

That fork is really beautiful!
Old 03-04-2019, 04:01 PM
IamEllis

An Ellis Voyageur with Discs and Thru-Axles

This one was super close size-wise to Shannon's Strada Fango, but designed for gravel, road, and loaded touring. Mark went with my Domestique Sea-Foam Green (one of my all-time favorites).

Out back I used Paragon's Low Mount Thru-Axle dropouts with a direct mount insert. I trimmed the driveside tab back a bit and added a nifty wire guide to keep the Di2 wires tidy.

The disc side with a DT Swiss thru-axle.

Up front there's lots going on, so I used a bolt-on thru-axle. Tubus Tara lowrider racks, Berthoud fenders struts cut strategically a bit long so he can run them with or without the rack and no interference with the disc caliper.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:59 PM

Next-level custom. I love it.

That green is perfect too.

Tags
dave wages, ellis cycles