Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 10-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Classics Fan

Location: Between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
Thanks! Turenne, France in the background. It is in the southern part of the Correze near the border with the Lot. About midway between the Dordogne River and Brive la Gaillarde. Great riding area.
I was wondering, "what part of Vermont is that??"

Are you relocating to France? Beautiful bike, beautiful surroundings. You're living the dream.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
I was wondering, "what part of Vermont is that??"

Are you relocating to France? Beautiful bike, beautiful surroundings. You're living the dream.
Actually, it's an area that is a lot like Vermont, except that it is France ;-) . Not relocating to France, but rather have figured out a secondary location there. We just got back from this most recent visit yesterday. Cycling pretty much every day; even if a ride was not long, it was both hilly and lovely! It is magnificent cycling country. For example, one really exceptional 22 mile ride included 3600 ft of climbing, but only a few stretches of serious grade. There is a huge network of small back roads, virtually all paved. The pavement varies, but it is all eminently rideable. Temps were in the 50s at night, and up into the 70s and low 80s each day save 2 in three weeks, and basically dry. The Lot and Corezze departments are less well known cycling territory, but really worthwhile, and Turenne is a great base. The Kirk was made for this kind of riding, and is proving to be eminently well suited. It seems to just stick to the roads, the turns, the slopes, riding the imperfections of the pavement better than any of my previous attempts at getting it right. My wife is happy with her trusty Serotta Concours, and I have brought over the old Serotta ti Fierte as a backup bike.

So, yes : Place (Turenne area) + Bike (nice, light Kirk JKS with perfect geo) = Dream. But now in full living color. Took a long time, but so far, we are feeling very fortunate, while still in disbelief. BTW, the Ornot handlebar bag color coordinates really well with the Kirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0665.jpg (148.7 KB, 462 views)
Old 10-18-2018, 10:30 AM

Fillet BB on a MRB set up for Di2 and generator hub and internal wiring for front and rear lights.

dave

Old 10-18-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Fillet BB on a MRB set up for Di2 and generator hub and internal wiring for front and rear lights.

dave

Would love to see how the wiring came together and how you did the light mounts front and rear..

Battery tech has gotten really good, but there's definitely still a use case for the Dyno.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Would love to see how the wiring came together and how you did the light mounts front and rear..

Battery tech has gotten really good, but there's definitely still a use case for the Dyno.

Here you go. The wiring comes off the front gen-hub dropout and enters the fork blade exiting out the top of the crown where it then joins the headlight. The taillight wire leaves the headlight and enters the down tube and runs through the BB shell and exits the c-stay under the disc brake mount where it then climbs the seat stay to the tail light mounted to its own braze-on.

The owner is an ultra endurance guy who rides much longer than batteries last so he wanted a gen hub and I think it's going to work very well for him.

dave

Old 10-19-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Here you go. The wiring comes off the front gen-hub dropout and enters the fork blade exiting out the top of the crown where it then joins the headlight. The taillight wire leaves the headlight and enters the down tube and runs through the BB shell and exits the c-stay under the disc brake mount where it then climbs the seat stay to the tail light mounted to its own braze-on.

The owner is an ultra endurance guy who rides much longer than batteries last so he wanted a gen hub and I think it's going to work very well for him.

dave

Very cool. Dig those dual mounts on the fork too - look forward to seeing this one built up and kitted out...
Old 10-20-2018, 04:29 PM

Beautiful build. I love the rear tail light placement.

What is the new owner using the second set of fork eyelets for? I assume the rear is for fenders.

Quote:

dave

Old 10-20-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
Beautiful build. I love the rear tail light placement.

What is the new owner using the second set of fork eyelets for? I assume the rear is for fenders.
Ultra endurance with a dynamo almost certainly calls for a front rack for a rando bag. That would be my guess. This is going to turn out great and I’m excited to see how this turns out finished.

I’m imagining WI cranks and some other high end group would look amazing
Old 10-20-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Ultra endurance with a dynamo almost certainly calls for a front rack for a rando bag. That would be my guess. This is going to turn out great and I’m excited to see how this turns out finished.

I’m imagining WI cranks and some other high end group would look amazing
100% agree, though the light mount would then shift onto the rack. I would likely have asked for a mid-fork mount versus the dropout to cut back on extra steel. Either way, this bike looks pretty ideal in my eyes. I am hopeful about seeing this built up!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:45 AM

Deep green and raw bronze in the low fall sun.

dave

Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Paint color so deep it still looks wet.

dave

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Paint color so deep it still looks wet.

dave

That turned out so nice - can't wait to see it in person...

Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
Administrator

just out of curiosity - does the chain of custody go from kirk world HQ to joe bells house of 10,000 colors back to bozeman for final chasing/facing and then packaged to client? i assume?
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
just out of curiosity - does the chain of custody go from kirk world HQ to joe bells house of 10,000 colors back to bozeman for final chasing/facing and then packaged to client? i assume?
Yep - you got it.......I build it and send it to JB, JB does his thing and sends it back to me when he's done and then I prep it for assembly (chase threads, apply rust proofing inside....etc).

I then either send out the frame and fork set (with a headset installed if you wish) or I build the frame into a bike and send you the complete ready-to-ride deal.

Easy peazy.

dave