Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2023, 12:52 PM

Tire Pump to Live in the Car

Looking for suggestions for a pump. I want something I can keep in my car that will give me the most performance for the least amount of space. Currently have a Lezyne floor drive, which is great, except the gauge is huge and makes the base into an big unwieldy triangle shape that takes up a lot of space in the car.

The Lezyne Digital Travel Floor Drive is almost exactly what I'm looking for, except it looks like a big chunk of MSRP is going towards the digital inline pressure gauge, which I don't want/need. Also noticed the Bontrager Mini Charger, but with that and the other pumps designed to mount onto a bike, I'm worried it's going to take forever to inflate a mountain bike tire (or in an emergency, a car tire). I don't really need it to be so small that I can take it on the bike.

My criteria aren't easily reducible to searchable terms, so I'm having a hard time figuring out if there are other options I'm missing. Any advice appreciated.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:25 PM

discontinued, but one might still be out there.

https://www.specializedconceptstore....ak-floor-pump/
Old 02-26-2023, 01:34 PM

We have the older wooden handled version of this Lezyne. It’s been solid.
https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-fp-tfldr-v206
Old 02-26-2023, 01:54 PM

Here's an idea...I have one in each car, mostly for car tire use in emergencies, but it would also make a great MTB or fat tire bike tire pump...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Viair compressor.jpg (59.3 KB, 221 views)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-26-2023, 02:11 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Topeak Road Morph G all the way... Still using the same one for 10+ years.

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...-road-morph--g

Last edited by robt57; 02-26-2023 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:23 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Here's an idea...I have one in each car, mostly for car tire use in emergencies, but it would also make a great MTB or fat tire bike tire pump...
I was just going to suggest this....I picked one up a couple years ago....stays in the spare tire compartment of my vehicle. Needs a presta adapter, but you can buy 4 for about $7.

For higher pressure the Ryobi pumps are pretty compact....used one recently to pump up some tubulars I am stretching.

Last edited by Ozz; 02-26-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:04 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

My Pacifica has an compressor with a can of sealant in it. You can use without using the can of sealant. By the time I get it out and put on the presta adapter, un-wrap the lead and air hose I have the front pumped up with the Morph G. Then by the time the compressor fills front and is pumping the rear I am already done with the Morph and rolling. Still gotta put the compressor pump all back in away... MEH.

I just wish either the Morph gauge was bigger more readable. I may take it apart and mark blue and green sharpie zones for 75 and 85 PSi. But having to use my reading glasses reminds me not to forget to bring along on ride. I doubt I could fix a flat without reader without pinching tubes, I digress.... [my eye-site certainly has]
Old 02-26-2023, 03:11 PM

I keep an old Silca (40 years old) in my car. Doesn't take a lot of room and it is a work horse.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:20 PM

Funny thread

I read most of the posts and I derive that if you can pack a bike then you can pack a pump. Of course if you own a car then you are Makin$ it toward the first world and then $um. GoGo Gadget Pump!
Old 02-26-2023, 03:28 PM

Pump for car?

I got one of these to keep in our van. Pumps always jungle around in back. Pro tip is to put a slice chuck on it!

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 02-26-2023, 03:32 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

How big is the display? And Slice chuck? Will google... Assume Slica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I got one of these to keep in our van. Pumps always jungle around in back. Pro tip is to put a slice chuck on it!

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 02-26-2023, 04:57 PM
Vendor

I just got this Ridgid one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...072B/316256150

I got mine as part of promo Home Depot was running. It came with a car vac. $80 for both (tools only). I’m planning on leaving this in my car. I think it’ll work good enough to top off car tires, inflate an SUP and bike tires. It comes with a presta adapter. I was a little disappointed with the chuck. It’s a plastic quick connect that feels cheap. It’s also tricky to secure onto the valve without it blowing off. You get sucked into the Ridgid battery ecosystem, but they have lifetime service replacement on the batteries. That was a huge one for me.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:07 PM

Easy pump

Big enough display for my 58 year old eyes that need readers!
Yes- Silca chuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
How big is the display? And Slice chuck? Will google... Assume Slica?
Old 02-26-2023, 05:49 PM

I have been using a Joe Blow for 20+ years and it wouldn't take up any space in my trunk that would displace anything else I might want to carry back there. When it needed a new washer in the chuck the manufacturer was temporarily out of stock so they immediately sent me a new dual sided head. A few weeks later they also sent a rebuild kit. Now I had two good chucks and only needed one so I sent one to another Paceliner. The lifetime warranty is NICE!
Old 02-26-2023, 07:13 PM

Hadn't thought of the battery powered compressors. I like to stay analog if I can, but the size factor of the powered options might sway me here. Although I'll probably look out for one of those specialized pumps on ebay until I make my mind up.