Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2019, 09:24 PM

Small Force Torque Wrench a Good Investment?

Situation: Very high-end steel and alloy components, but no carbon or titanium. I am starting to do all of my own repair work. I'm not a total moo-ron when it comes to tightening bolts, but I also love my bikes. How easy is it to mess up aluminum handlebars/shifter collars, for example, or over-torque a quill stem? Talk me out of or into an expensive 2-16 Nm torque wrench. I see a bazillion other places on the web where this is discussed, but it's usually in reference to carbon fiber or titanium. Thanks.

P.S. Curious about the torque recommendations for old-school Campy aero seatposts, both at the binder bolt and rails.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:21 PM

I have one of these. https://www.parktool.com/product/torque-wrench-tw-1

The packaging and style was the same as a Sears Craftsman beam. You could get a 1/4" and 3/8" for less than the cost of a fancy spring loaded one that has to be reclibrated when you forget to reset it after using.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 PM

Yes. Peace of mind is worth it.
I've got the Park 5.2, but places like Merlin, Nahsbar etc will likely have sales on their own brand. Trek Bicycle Superstores will often have their 5nm preset devices for like $5, those are a great deal, very handy.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:51 PM

Agree on the peace of mind factor, small investment compared to binning ruined parts.
CDI Torqcontrol has a good reputation, I don't personally have one, but if I was in the market for a light duty torque wrench that would be on my short list.

I do have an Ice Toolz Ocarina which is kind of a budget version of above. Works well for me so far, and readings square up with my Park TW-1 and Ritchey 4nm and 5nm Torque Keys. I find the T handle just slightly easier to work with, so I usually reach for my IceToolz or Torque Keys first.

Last edited by MagicHour; 04-19-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:27 PM

Just got an icetoolz ocarina today, and it seems pretty nice. Certainly nice for the money. The brand name though, horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHour View Post
Agree on the peace of mind factor, small investment compared to binning ruined parts.
CDI Torqcontrol has a good reputation, I don't personally have one, but if I was in the market for a light duty torque wrench that would be on my short list.

I do have an Ice Toolz Ocarina which is kind of a budget version of above. Works well for me so far, and readings square up with my Park TW-1 and Ritchey 4nm and 5nm Torque Keys. I find the T handle just slightly easier to work with, so I usually reach for my IceToolz or Torque Keys first.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:42 AM

For steel and aluminum - meh.

I’ve had a large torque wrench for years that I used for Italian thread bottom brackets but now I’ve gotten so I just put them on as tight as I can without a measured torque. I bought a small torque wrench last winter at the Perormance close out and it’s still sitting unused.

I have two carbon bikes, two aluminum and a bunch of steel. I’ve been wrenching on my own bikes for many years so I don’t get too antsy tightening on a bar or seat post clamp but if you do you might get most bang for your buck out of one of the very small ones for the 3-4-5 mm bolts.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:28 AM

I bought the CDI on sale after a thread here a while back and use it on stems more than anything else. If anything, I've been undertightening small fasteners if this tool is accurate, and I don't feel compelled to keep tightening until the tool clicks. I use a couple of larger torque wrenches for things like cranks that have torque specs.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:43 AM
aka RAEKWON

+100 for the CDI.

Had once for a while and its a great tool. Sold it and got myself an effeto mariposa which is amazing but also cost me an arm and a leg. I think everyone should have a CDI
Old 04-20-2019, 09:48 AM
50 bpm

We used the CDIs in the shop and now at home I have both the ATD-1.2 and the TW-2 at home. Plus, a Spin Doctor (from the now-dead Performance) one.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:18 AM

We've been using small CDI torque wrenches for assembly work (medical device manufacturer) when the Snap On units get replaced. They get calibrated 2 times a year and are used daily. I use a cheap Versa from Amazon and have a small Snap On one as well for small stuff like stems, faceplates, seat clamps... The 1/2" Craftsman is for the cranks and cassettes. The main this is to tighten stems and clamps evenly alternating slowly until torque is reached.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grognaak View Post
How easy is it to mess up aluminum handlebars/shifter collars, for example, or over-torque a quill stem?
Easy to mess up? It's not. Not at all. For someone mindful enough to ask these questions, approaching impossible.