Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 07:56 AM

Removing stubborn HED decals from rims?

Yesterday I posted a threading asking PL'ers to help out with a 24H Hed Belgium. Look585 came through with a pair(!!!) of NOS 24h Belgium C2s but they are logoless. The HED numbers are still inside the rim bed so they are genuine but they are very stealth and now I'm in the predicament of having a Logo-ed up rear wheel and a very stealth logo-less front wheel.

I've removed the water transfer decals from rims before with heat and a plastic razor blade, with acetone to clean up but the Belgiums are proving to be a whole other beast. Heat does nothing. Acetone did a little to a part of the logo where I suspect the clear coat was thin or absent entirely. I don't want to abrade the logo with something harder than plastic for fear of scratching the rim.

Any thoughts? Experience? I've also written HED with this question as I'm sure they may know the best removal but I'd be surprised if they volunteered the best method for removing their branding.

I was thinking of trying Jasco on the decals but don't know if this will also damage the anodization.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:16 PM

(You mention you had some success where "the clear coat was thin or absent entirely." None of the following applies if the stickers are under clear coat paint, as none of the suggested solvents will dissolve clear coat. To get the stickers off you would have to remove *all* of the clear coat first, which can be done, but is a bigger deal.)

I always use the following solvents in order of how damaging they can be: 1) soap and hot water, 2) 91% rubbing alcohol, and 3) low odor mineral spirits.

Soap and water is safe to use on practically anything so I try it first. Rubbing alcohol is pretty safe as well, but it can turn some black rubber slightly grey. Mineral spirits is safe for clear coat paints and metal, but it can damage rubber and plastic. I've never had to use acetone for anything. Acetone can damage a number of different surfaces, and one of the three safer solvents always works for me.

A plastic sticker will prevent the solvent from reaching the underlying adhesive, so you have to get under the sticker. I use the same technique car dealers use to remove chrome model numbers from cars: dental floss! Start at the corner of the sticker and saw back and forth with dental floss soaked in one of the aforementioned solvents. Keep pouring on more solvent as you peel the sticker back. It can be slow to get started, but once you get under the sticker the removal proceeds quite quickly.

I recently discovered "plastic razor blades" exist, but I've never used them. It might be better than dental floss for scraping off very thin decals when combined with liquid solvent. Remember: "always scrape wet, never dry."
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-1-...-ANV/326144760

You know you're using the right solvent when the sticker comes off with little effort. (How "strong" or "nasty" a solvent seems has nothing to do with how well it will dissolve a particular adhesive.) If it's a lot of work, you're just not using the right solvent.

Last edited by dgauthier; 03-21-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:11 PM

If there is a clear coat over the decal and on the entire rim, it will be impossible to remove the decal without leaving an area with no clear coat. Clear coats these days are likely urethane or epoxy. Acetone won't have much effect on either. You may find that once the decal is removed, the area where it was will have to be feather edge sanded to blend with the rest of the rim, then the entire rim sprayed with new clear coat.

Last edited by Dave; 03-22-2024 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:17 AM

If they are water transfer decals not under clear coat, soak a paper towel in acetone, apply it to the decal and wrap it in plastic wrap. Let it sit 5 to 10 minutes and the decal should come off easily. Be careful the acetone doesn't leak to stickers you want to keep.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:41 AM

I'm in a similar predicament - I picked up a belgium to replace a damaged ardennes. Apart from the logos the rims are (at least to my eye) otherwise identical; so I removed the ardennes stickers from the remaining good wheel, no problem.

But the logos on the belgium aren't stickers - the lettering is slightly raised, but they don't scrub off with goof off or mineral spirits. I had some success scratching off a small portion with a razor blade, but quickly realized that would be too risky (I also removed the tiniest bit of black finish) and way too labor intensive.

If anyone has successfully removed these logos, I'm all ears.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:05 AM

All great feedback. I'll try the wrap and see if that does anything. I don't know why they would clearcoat the entire rim so that seems unlikely. I'm sure they are very high-grade water transfers with an extremely durable clear over the decal. I'll post a couple picture of where I was able to remove the logos.

I also DM'd HED and they said they'd work on getting me the best answer which may just be: "Please don't try to remove the branding from our product."
Old 03-25-2024, 12:56 PM

Eager to hear how this goes - please do keep us updated.