Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 PM
commuter racer

Unsubscribe from Amazon, as they are ruining our society.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Unsubscribe from Amazon, as they are ruining our society.
HA..as for who owns WF, Bezos owns both Amazon and WholeFoods.

Gotta ask how is Amazon "ruining 'our society'"...getting the popcorn.
Bet 'they' said the same thing when they first opened 'Super Markets'...
Buying via the internet has been around as long as the internet. There are plenty of things that may or may not be 'ruining our society', but Amazon ain't one of them, IMHO..
Quote:
I’m not sure that Amazon is ruining our society but they are changing expectations and challenging the norm.
Absolutely..like oh so many movers and shapers in our history..like Henry Ford, like Andrew Carnegie, Bill gates, Steve Jobs, many others.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-23-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:29 AM

I’m not sure that Amazon is ruining our society but they are changing expectations and challenging the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2019, 08:53 AM
Not a robot

For some returns I've seen it even easier that stated above. Start the return online, take the item to the local UPS store, collect receipt, done. Done even have to pack/box & label it, just hand them the item & let them scan your return code.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:19 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
HA..as for who owns WF, Bezos owns both Amazon and WholeFoods.

Gotta ask how is Amazon "ruining 'our society'"...getting the popcorn.
Bet 'they' said the same thing when they first opened 'Super Markets'...
Buying via the internet has been around as long as the internet. There are plenty of things that may or may not be 'ruining our society', but Amazon ain't one of them, IMHO..

Absolutely..like oh so many movers and shapers in our history..like Henry Ford, like Andrew Carnegie, Bill gates, Steve Jobs, many others.

Maybe not society (yet), they have ruined brick and mortar retail and local economies and businesses and it will only get worse. Who doesn't like to walk into a store? Think of all the small towns Walmart has ruined. Plus they pay their employees terrible wages and they work in terrible warehouses filling your orders. AND, where does all the money go? Jeff Bezos. does he pay proper taxes? No. Does any of this commerce help your local economy? No. Wake up. Amazon is bad for America! Mail order used to be a thing when you couldn't find what you needed in your small town locally, like a Camagnolo group for example. Now it's just the norm to shop on a phone. Every day an Ontrack truck drops off packages at my neighbors house. How lazy. Like they can't stop at the local pet store to pick up dog food? No they get it delivered from Amazon. That sucks imho. I worked in a retail gallery for 20 years and watched all the business in Downtown basically close due to the World Wide Web.. It's sad.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:14 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Maybe not society (yet), they have ruined brick and mortar retail and local economies and businesses and it will only get worse. Who doesn't like to walk into a store? Think of all the small towns Walmart has ruined. Plus they pay their employees terrible wages and they work in terrible warehouses filling your orders. AND, where does all the money go? Jeff Bezos. does he pay proper taxes? No. Does any of this commerce help your local economy? No. Wake up. Amazon is bad for America! Mail order used to be a thing when you couldn't find what you needed in your small town locally, like a Campagnolo group for example. Now it's just the norm to shop on a phone. Every day an Ontrack truck drops off packages at my neighbors house. How lazy. Like they can't stop at the local pet store to pick up dog food? No they get it delivered from Amazon. That sucks imho. I worked in a retail gallery for 20 years and watched all the business in Downtown basically close due to the World Wide Web.. It's sad.
Nice rant BUT...

It's fine to single out Amazon but they aren't alone in this internet buying age. Taxes...Amazon isn't unique in this regard. What kind of computer are you using right now? THAT company pays little to no taxes too.
Is this rant about Wallmart or other big box stores or about online retailers?

Treat their employees poorly with low wages and awful conditions? Unemployment is lower that what is considered ‘full employment’ for a while. If the conditions are THAT bad, quit and find another job. ‘Work in terrible warehouses’, think you are indulging in a little inter web ‘fake news’(?) Have you ever been in an Amazon warehouse or personally talked to a Amazon warehouse employee?
QUOTE]basically close due to the World Wide Web.. It's sad[/QUOTE]

It IS the norm. Any retail anything that hasn't figured out how to use the internet for sales is going to be left behind.

I guess you had better slam almost every retailer in America then...Like it or not, it is the new reality.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-23-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:57 PM

Plenty out there about how working in an Amazon warehouse is. It ain't great.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/time.co...ts/%3famp=true

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/16/2...e-productivity

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...be-peak-2019-2

And that's just 2019 stuff.

But sure, if there's anyone who needs defending it's the richest man on the planet.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Nice rant BUT...

It's fine to single out Amazon but they aren't alone in this internet buying age. Taxes...Amazon isn't unique in this regard. What kind of computer are you using right now? THAT company pays little to no taxes too.
Is this rant about Wallmart or other big box stores or about online retailers?

Treat their employees poorly with low wages and awful conditions? Unemployment is lower that what is considered ‘full employment’ for a while. If the conditions are THAT bad, quit and find another job. ‘Work in terrible warehouses’, think you are indulging in a little inter web ‘fake news’(?) Have you ever been in an Amazon warehouse or personally talked to a Amazon warehouse employee?

It IS the norm. Any retail anything that hasn't figured out how to use the internet for sales is going to be left behind.

I guess you had better slam almost every retailer in America then...Like it or not, it is the new reality.

OK boomer.

I have spoken to people who work in Amazon's warehouses. I live in Seattle. It's that bad. You're out of touch.
Old 11-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboucher View Post
OK boomer.

I have spoken to people who work in Amazon's warehouses. I live in Seattle. It's that bad. You're out of touch.

We aren't going to start with the name calling, you can make your point without it.

W.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:01 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboucher View Post
OK boomer.

"I have read articles on the interweb and it's put comment here........

Seattle unemployment is 3.3%..Why don't these people go find another job if it's that bad?
I'm not trying to defend Bezos but like a lot of things, 'amazon/wallmart/putnameofbigretailer/manufacturerhere 'is ruining american society' smacks of ignorance rather than what is actually happening. In this capitalist society, if any retailer/manufacturer is THAT evil, is THAT bad, they would go under.
Why is Amazon successful?
If they are evil, what do you suggest? How does those who live on 'main street USA' afford toilet paper and tshirts when they are much more expensive, on their working poor wages?

My mother in law lived in Holly CO, if it wasn't for Wallmart in Lamar and places like Amazon, these rural farm and ranch workers, many of who work other jobs to make ends meet, would be in real trouble..it ain't Seattle.
Quote:
The median household income in Holly CO., is $32,500, which is 48% lower than than the Colorado average and 41% lower than than the national average.
Had to look up 'boomer'..'baby boomer'?...don't see that as derogatory...I guess with a few more years under your belt, maybe someplace else except the rarified atmosphere of Seattle...I like luddite/cumudgeon more..look them up on yer 'puter'...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 11-24-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:29 AM
Riding Along

Maybe a real solution that works and has the data to back it up that is independent of the ideology that supports or rejects it is to raise the minimum wage and end some of the servitude of the working poor. A rising tide raises all ships etc... Since the maximum wage has been gone for a long time with the end of real progressive taxation on high income perhaps it's time to extend the windfall to those at the other end. Look at the progressive tax rates when the USA was at it peak in terms of wide speed prosperity during the post war boom. It will surprise many.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:36 AM

I dont think i have ever shopped from amazon but i might have since i do shop online a lot and may have forgotten. I dont intend to start either. Its a company i cant support.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Had to look up 'boomer'..'baby boomer'?...don't see that as derogatory...I guess with a few more years under your belt, maybe someplace else except the rarified atmosphere of Seattle...I like luddite/cumudgeon more..look them up on yer 'puter'...
It is the latest slang term generally used to denote a crotchety/intollerant/maybe even racist older person.

Unless you were being called a male kangaroo, but I don't think that was the intent.

W.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:52 PM

Haven't Boomers been calling themselves Boomers forever? You can't call a Boomer a Snowflake, because that's reserved for the younger folks who Boomers refer to as such. Maybe Boomers are the real Snowflakes. Ugh. My head hurts.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Haven't Boomers been calling themselves Boomers forever? You can't call a Boomer a Snowflake, because that's reserved for the younger folks who Boomers refer to as such. Maybe Boomers are the real Snowflakes. Ugh. My head hurts.
Have you blown a reek??? Is that like blowing a gasket?

W.