Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I have to offer a bit of pushback here. There is some momentum gathering that is shaming folks that are allegedly reveling in Froome's plight.

I have re-read all of the comments in this thread and I just don't see evidence that anyone has wished this injury on him.

The skinny Skeletor comment was perhaps in poor taste in this context, but the person that posted it is the same one that started the thread and has expressed horror at the injury. I saw a couple of comments about his his missing the TDF and what that means to the few that said these things. Again, nothing inferred revelry due to the personal injury.

Again, perhaps a bit insensitive given the context. Is there something specific that is bothering folks that I'm missing?
we live in culture now of no honesty... people get offended at anything and everything and take all of it personally, even though nobody here has anything to do with the event. say anything resembling something non pc and you get lit up. everyoine is an internet police now, and they revel in it. this is our modern internet culture, and its seriously no fun at all. people need to use their heads in these situations. sometimes humor and making light are folks way to respond to a trauma, and maybe thats ok.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
OK, my post was not meant to imply that anyone was happy he was hurt. I was simply asking if commenting on peoples dislike of him as an athlete and how good it is that he is not racing, is not in good taste considering that the thread is about a serious injury.

I have no problem with any criticism of him as a rider and his effects on the sport etc... I did not see or say that anyone said or even imply that they were happy he was injured badly. I am not trolling or shaming. Just suggesting that we all recognize that there is a difference between Froome the person and Froome the rider. I am not a Froome/Sky fan at all, but find that joy about his absence from the tour or mocking his riding style and appearance in a thread about a catastrophic injury is perhaps not very graceful. I am not the moral police here, I am not calling people out specifically, I was only suggesting that we remember that he is a person like us, flawed and vulnerable.
Fair enough.

It is hard to separate the two (person and rider), especially as this is a cycling forum. Sure, we all all human, but what draws us together at this spot is the golden thread of cycling. Many of the news articles being written at present address both - the impact to him personally, and the impact of his loss on the largest bike race on the planet.

Also I think that it's human nature to have some detachment from the event, as readers and fans viewing over the internet. Empathy can be limited in this way, for sure. Not everyone is going to empathize on the same level, if at all. But to the point, I don't think that any of the posts in this thread were over the line.

His surgeon says that he could be back to racing within 6 months: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...surgeon-427052

Last edited by berserk87; 06-13-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
we live in culture now of no honesty... people get offended at anything and everything and take all of it personally, even though nobody here has anything to do with the event. say anything resembling something non pc and you get lit up. everyoine is an internet police now, and they revel in it. this is our modern internet culture, and its seriously no fun at all. people need to use their heads in these situations. sometimes humor and making light are folks way to respond to a trauma, and maybe thats ok.
Pretty much sums it up. I usually like MZ's perspective on things ...
Old 06-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I never pretended to, but I didn't see anything here that was unduly celebrating the injury to the man personally, more his absence from the upcoming Tour might make it a more unpredictable race and by extension more enjoyable to watch by whatever personal criteria people use to watch a three week bike race. I do see a fair bit of "there but by the grace of God go me..." gallows humor, and I include myself in that assessment.

I don't have a retort for the other post you're referencing, that's just garden variety concern trolling and not terribly interesting to engage with.
And, lest it be lost in the shuffle, I didn't know "concern trolling" was a thing ...
Old 06-13-2019, 11:46 AM

Back on topic....

Surgery was apparently successful, with the surgeon saying he could be back training in six months. About as good an outcome as possible given the circumstances.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...surgeon-427052
Old 06-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
And, lest it be lost in the shuffle, I didn't know "concern trolling" was a thing ...
Yes, this term describes a behavior that often reminds me to click 'close-tab'.

So, IMHO, the thread is worth it.

Humerus or not.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post

Humerus or not.
Winner!
Old 06-13-2019, 02:10 PM

Great to hear the surgery was a success! Here is to a speedy recovery.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Humerus or not.
wow, thats sharp
Old 06-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Fair enough.

It is hard to separate the two (person and rider), especially as this is a cycling forum. Sure, we all all human, but what draws us together at this spot is the golden thread of cycling. Many of the news articles being written at present address both - the impact to him personally, and the impact of his loss on the largest bike race on the planet.

Also I think that it's human nature to have some detachment from the event, as readers and fans viewing over the internet. Empathy can be limited in this way, for sure. Not everyone is going to empathize on the same level, if at all. But to the point, I don't think that any of the posts in this thread were over the line.

His surgeon says that he could be back to racing within 6 months: https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...surgeon-427052
I agree. And as I said, I do not think that any posts were over the line. Just suggesting folks remember that each of us has a line, wherever that is. I was not offended and did not take anything personally. I do not belong to the outrage/offended/professional victim/SJW... mob that many in our society seem to be a party to. Think what you want to think and feel what you want to feel and if it not the same as me that is ok. Don't mind the criticism of my apparent over sensitivity, just offering my perspective in a free and open exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Glad to hear that he will have a good chance at a full recovery.

Last edited by Black Dog; 06-13-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:58 PM

I still can't believe this thread isn't locked yet.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Slightly OS, but still relevant...I read somewhere that many of the tour riders have relatively soft or weak bones due to the nature of their diet and diet restrictions. You see many a collar bone snap during the race season so I just wondered if there was anything to it.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:13 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
Slightly OS, but still relevant...I read somewhere that many of the tour riders have relatively soft or weak bones due to the nature of their diet and diet restrictions. You see many a collar bone snap during the race season so I just wondered if there was anything to it.
Where did you read that?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Apparently it's right up there with dismissive insults which are somehow deemed far more interesting (by the writer) than the target insultee's original comments. Who knew?

Quote:

Humerus or not.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Surgery was apparently successful, with the surgeon saying he could be back training in six months. About as good an outcome as possible given the circumstances.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...surgeon-427052
Wow, 8 hour surgery. Good news that the prognosis looks good.

But, "Chris Froome has the morale of a winner and is very rapidly bouncing back. He started asking immediately when he could get back on his bike. He should be back racing in about six months.”

Racing in 6 months only? Isn't that very optimistic, or is that a somewhat normal recovery calendar for these injuries?