Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 08:03 PM

* real name, if you like - Drew

* where do you live? Eastern MA, Belmont, Boston suburbs :/

* explanation of your handle - My middle name is Josiah

* explanation of your avatar - I have an avatar?

* age (general or specific) 32

* occupation - Mechanic, Coffee Roaster, Barista, Conservation activist

* favorite bike - changes with the season, currently Santa Cruz Superlight 29er

* what's in your stable? Seven Evergreen, Vicious Cycles Electric Warrior, Geekhouse Mudville, Zanconato SSCX, Santa Cruz Superlight, ANT townie, Vicious Cycles Motivator, Spooky Havocstaff, Yeti Bigtop

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? On honeymoon, in south of france, some hill outside of St Chinian. . . .51 ! on a rental bike

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? wow, I'm a dirt church type, maybe 2k on the road?

* make up and answer at least one additional question. "do you live to dream, or dream to live" - I live to dream, because I am not living a dream, or living my dreams. But I will, if I pursue my dreams

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told - I don't need to upgrade this bike

* and, something fun. My wife is a killer CX racer, in the top 20 female US athletes .. I'm a proud one !

* picture of yourself or your ride?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:36 PM

* real name, if you like Jackie

* where do you live? Los Angeles, Ca

* explanation of your handle - Jax, short for Jackie..meowmeow bc i like cats

* explanation of your avatar - Cant figure out how to upload one

* age - 33

* occupation - freelancer

* favorite bike - my current bike..specialized tarmac..making too many memories with her. wouldn't trade her for the fanciest bike

* what's in your stable? torelli tipo uno

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 88.5 km/h..somewhere up north in the sierras..about 2 years ago

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? around 3,000-4,000? not sure

* picture of yourself or your ride? See below

* make up and answer at least one additional question. How did you get into bikes? I was working out in Venice and all my coworkers decided to get fixies to play around on during our lunch breaks.

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? Hmm idk..I don't lie

* and, something fun. I catered for Seth MacFarlane's bday party
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (96.1 KB, 882 views)
File Type: jpg me.jpg (75.4 KB, 880 views)
Old 07-10-2017, 05:27 PM

* real name, if you like - Matt

* where do you live? Somerville, MA

* explanation of your handle - funniest word I heard back in 4th grade..it stuck.

* explanation of your avatar - I have an avatar?

* age - 30

* occupation - Scientist/Engineer

* favorite bike - Tomii road bike

* what's in your stable? Tomii (road), Geekhouse (CX), Serotta (road), Cervelo (road)

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Probably around 50mph, Tour of the Catskills, 7 years ago.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Less than <1500, not a very productive cycling year.

* picture of yourself or your ride? Post Rapha Gentleman's race (when that was a thing) passed out.

* make up and answer at least one additional question. Do you like biking or bikes? This is something I ask myself quite often...racing season, I like bikes; off season, I like biking.

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? Hmm idk..I don't lie

* and, something fun. I bumped into Bill Gates in my building once and didn't think it was him because he just looked like a normal dude.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 264704_10100384496243274_482293_n.jpg (90.1 KB, 817 views)
Old 07-10-2017, 07:35 PM
#RYFB

* real name, if you like Charles

* where do you live? Los Angeles, CA

* explanation of your handle No imagination

* explanation of your avatar I do like a bit of Wensleydale

* age (general or specific) Well qualified for the Senior Tour

* occupation Analyst

* favorite bike 1978 Gios Super Record

* what's in your stable? 1978 Gios Super Record (duh), Pinarello, S-Works hardtail, C59 (please buy it)

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Strava said I hit 55 on Angeles Crest Highway earlier this year but I'm sure it was an errant calculation; 44 is likely more accurate

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? ~5000

* make up and answer at least one additional question. Is it true you were on the Art Linkletter Show and told him that your father's occupation was making surfboards for Walt Disney? Yes, it is.

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I have never told a lie.

* and, something fun. Bouvier des Flandres. Hardly anything more fun.

* picture of yourself or your ride? I am standing next to the [known] doper.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:53 PM

Who are you (and what do you look like)?

* real name, if you like Fikret

* where do you live? Atlanta, GA

* explanation of your handle My initials, followed by my HS basketball jersey number

* explanation of your avatar My alma mater

* age (general or specific) 33

* occupation Civil Engineer

* favorite bike Seven Elium SLX, which I sadly sold

* what's in your stable? Two road bikes, one gravel

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I have hit 50+ a couple times, various descents

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? ~3,500

* picture of yourself or your ride Descending Cherohala Skyway during the 2017 Cherohala Challenge

Last edited by fa63; 07-17-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:33 AM

* real name, if you like Eric

* where do you live? Central MA

* explanation of your handle: Eric, typed on a device using T9, recommended Epic. It stuck

* explanation of your avatar: Me wearing a hat made for me by a friend. Who wouldn't want a red sox cycling cap

* age (general or specific) Early 30's

* occupation Clinical Research Manager (I run clinical trials for some MD's)

* favorite bike: Geekhouse - been on so many great rides with this bike.

* what's in your stable? Down to 2.5 bikes now. Need to expand. '09 IF SSR and '10 Geekhouse Mudville. Also an IRO groupbuy frame that needs to be built back up.

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? I think ~ 50 MPH. During a Rapha Gentlemen's Race years ago in VT. Hit 40's during Raid Lamoille and a number of other rides though. Fast is fun.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Hah. No where near enough. I think 600 if I was lucky. My first kid was born so bike time became baby time. She's almost a year now so it's time to hunt down a trailer and start getting some weight training in with her.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Resident Slacker

* real name, if you like - Jason

* where do you live? - Oakland, CA

* explanation of your handle - Back in 1994, AOL would only allow 10 characters for your username, so I had to truncate RudeAwakening to RudAwkning.

* explanation of your avatar - I love Huey Lewis and The News. Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

* age - 42

* occupation - computers

* favorite bike - Right now, my favorite bike is my Salsa Woodsmoke. But my least favorite is the one I just finished my last 1200k on. It's going in the "time-out" corner.

* what's in your stable? - A couple Kirks, a couple Ellises, a handful of Waterfords. About 20 bikes total. Have a new Steve Rex incoming any day now.

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? - Don't know, but my fastest speed on my fixed gear was descending into Davenport at 3:00 in the morning on our Fleche last year. I hit over 39 mph on a 51x20 with 25mm tires and 167.5 cranks. That put me at just under 200 RPMs.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? - Don't know. But I logged 11,000 RUSA kilometers in 2016.

* make up and answer at least one additional question:
Why haven't you ever ridden outside of the U.S.? - Because my passport has been expired since 2008. I should probably get on that before another decade passes.

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? - The biggest one was probably the one that hurt somebody the most. To whomever that was...I'm sorry (no...I'm not. I'm lying again).

* and, something fun. - I like turtles.

* picture of yourself or your ride? - I've made the cover of American Randonneur....twice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg donk.jpg (87.9 KB, 791 views)
File Type: jpg donk2.jpg (87.0 KB, 789 views)
Old 08-14-2017, 03:18 PM

* real name, if you like

* where do you live? Twin Cities, MN

* explanation of your handle: email handle assigned to me when I went to college

* explanation of your avatar: not using one at the moment yet....

* age (general or specific) getting into the late 30's

* occupation - project manager ()

* favorite bike: Supersix EVO

* what's in your stable? 3 bikes for now Supersix Evo, Felt B12 (TT/Tri bike) and a Raleigh Talus 8.0 (MTB)

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 40.5-41mph on a rolling hill short TT going downhill right before a turnaround a few years ago on the TT bike

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Not as much as I'd like maybe around 700-800 or so. Time is short these days for me to ride as much as I'd like unfortunately.

* picture of yourself or your ride? Here's my EVO from a few years ago when I first built it up (a few parts have changed since then but it is mostly the same overall). Also is a shot of my Felt a few years back too (that setup has changed a bit too....deeper wheels now compared to the pic and the clear clear disc is gone too)

Old 08-15-2017, 10:57 AM

real name, if you like Peter
* where do you live? Paterson, NJ
* explanation of your handle It's like a motto with my name and 8 is a lucky number. two eights double the luck
* explanation of your avatar got no time to pic one
* age (general or specific) 27
* favorite bike Santa Cruz Nomad
* what's in your stable? Santa Cruz Nomad only I had to sell some because of moving
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 50, but can't remember where exactly, somewhere in Europe
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? around 4,000 (I wish I did more)
* picture of yourself or your ride? I'm not ready for that
* make up and answer at least one additional question. When was the last time you rode a bike? - Weekends
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told - We really appreciate your call...
* and, something fun. if you're reading this buy me tacos
* How did you find the paceline Forum?* was googling something bike-related and stumbled upon this nice community
Old 09-24-2017, 03:58 PM

* where do you live? Luray, VA (hilly)
* explanation of your handle: I think it's a George Lucas thing...
* explanation of your avatar: none as yet
* favorite bike: Specialized Roubaix
* what's in your stable? Specialized Roubaix, 1991 Bridgestone MB5 (purchased new when I lived in Tahoe years ago)
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 40, Valleyburg hill, Page Co., VA
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 1300 since June '17 (just started cycling)
* picture of yourself or your ride? none as yet
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: Um...
* and, something fun: I play acoustic guitar
* How did you find the paceline Forum? Google search
Old 09-26-2017, 12:46 PM

* where do you live? - Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
* explanation of your handle - Model name of my motorcycle
* explanation of your avatar - Selfie
* age (general or specific) - 40
* what's in your stable? - 81 Basso Gap, 15 Cervelo S3
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? - 53mph but downhill so I don't think it counts but this was coming down Whiteface earlier this month
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? - 4000 only
* picture of yourself or your ride? - included below
* How did you find the paceline Forum?* - It found me

Old 09-27-2017, 04:46 PM

* real name, if you like: Nate
* where do you live? Denver, CO
* age (general or specific): 23 currently
* favorite bike: My recently totaled 1973 "Weigle'd" Raleigh Competition that was modified by Norther Cycles
* what's in your stable? See above, Olmo Competion, Ritchey P29er, Surly Ice Cream Truck
* fastest speed on a road bike? I have no idea! I don't use a computer when I ride
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? I'm estimating because I don't use a computer but I think I was around 11,000
* picture of yourself or your ride? See below
* and, something fun. I did my first 600k brevet this year. A friend (who was also riding their first 600k) and I decided to ride straight through without sleep... It was type II fun! We were hoping to finish in under 26 hrs but only did it in 28 hrs.
* How did you find the paceline Forum?* From googling random bike stuff on the internet, mostly about Serottas.... Still trying to find a Colorado or CSI in my size

Me at the finish of my club's Triple Crown Double Century event: Denver to Aspen
It was a very rainy cold ride....

Last edited by bicipunk; 09-27-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:47 AM

lurkin' for 5 years--I'm shady like that--finally thought I'd come out of the shadows.

* real name, if you like: Eric
* where do you live? NJ
* explanation of your handle: In another language my name sounds like delicious
* age (general or specific): Masters 40+
* occupation: I buy and sell things that are bought, sold or processed.
* favorite bike: They're all pretty good but the 585 is one I'll keep for a while.
* what's in your stable? Look 585, Spooky Skeletor, Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie, Scalpel 29, Thrive CX in queue
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 50ish - Tour of Battenkill -- back when I thought I was a road racer
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? Usually 3,000 and a few hundred off road.
* Dumbest thing you've ever done: I once caught the deadliest animal in Japan in a cup.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I've never lied.
* and, something fun. We lived in a van for 6 months before #vanlife was a hashtag.
* How did you find the paceline Forum? Probably trying to figure out how to rebuild a Campy 10 speed ergolever.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:03 PM

Introduction

* real name, if you like: Christian
* where do you live? Alameda, CA
* explanation of your handle: frequent fixed gear rider and bicycly fixated
* explanation of your avatar dunno, looks kinda like my garage
* age (general or specific) 53
* occupation non-profit arts leadership
* favorite bike changes daily
* what's in your stable? '54 Bates BAR, '71 Raleigh International, 80s Rodriguez sport-tourer, '05 Solitude fixed 29er, '15 Stinner 29er, fixed Bike Friday
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 45ish, downhill off Torrey Pines hill
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 2000? More off-road (bikepacking)
* and, something fun. there's no weather that can't be improved by addition of a bicycle
* How did you find the paceline Forum? probably searching for info on an obscure component, been lurking since (5 yrs?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2721.jpg (87.4 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg bates.jpg (66.4 KB, 426 views)

Last edited by bikefixe; 10-20-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:38 PM

My account was just approved, so I suppose I'll give this a go....
***edit*** apologies for the huge picture -- it's been a while since I've done the forum thing.

real name, if you like:
Jonathan
* where do you live?
NW Louisiana

* explanation of your handle:
diminutive form of my old screen name, "holyeffingcow" -- I became a lazier typer

* explanation of your avatar:
Suppose I should upload one.

* age (general or specific):

Bike shop floor vacuumer

* favorite bike:
Ridley Noah

* what's in your stable?
Ridley Noah, Guru Veloci'Ti, Some Felt TT bike that I can never remember its name, a Panasonic Sport 500, & a Ridley Helium (girlfriend's bike that I keep threatening to ride)

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when?
~60 MPH near Mena, AR on 4 July, 2016. I haven't done a lot (err, enough) climbing

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year?
~11,500

Here's my Ti bike -- bought back in '08 but rarely ridden, I've recently made put a Rival/ Red group (upgraded from Ultegra 6600) on it & it's become my commuter bike.

* make up and answer at least one additional question:
If you were to ask me my biggest regret, I'd tell you it's that I didn't spend more time studying quantum physics.

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told:
I don't really feel like messaging my ex-wife.

* and, something fun.
I never grew out of the "I love dinosaurs" phase from childhood.

* How did you find the paceline Forum?*
Recommendation from a friend. I should find out his user name....