Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2015, 03:37 PM

*Real Name - Anthony Stirrat
*Where do you live? - Edinburgh, Scotland
*Explanation of your forum handle. - Nickname of Jocko
*Explanation of your avatar. -Not sorted one yet
*Age (General or specific). - Old enough to know better, young enough to remember
*Occupation. - Currently manager of a ebike shop
*How did you find the Paceline? - Looking for info about one of my bikes
*Favorite Bike. - Daccordi
*Whatç—´ in your stable? Merckx x 4, Bianchi FG Lite, Daccordi, Spesh, Orange P7, Kona Coil Air
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? Off road - 105kph in Morzine, on road 115kph Col de Jouplane
*How many miles did you ride last year? Not enough
*Picture of yourself, your ride, or both together.
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question. Have 29" thighs
*What is the biggest lie you ever told? - Ofcourse I love you more than my bike
*Tell us something fun. Multiple British and World Cup medalist

I'm the one on the bike
IMG_2113.JPG

Last edited by Joxster; 09-21-2015 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old 11-10-2015, 03:51 PM

*Where do you live: Oakland, CA
*Explanation of your forum handle: Nickname organizers of El Camino Double Century gave me when I wore a jersey that reminded them of "Where is Waldo?" books character and it sounds somewhat like my name.
*Explanation of your avatar -- a drop of blood seatstay bridge on my Llewellyn, symbolizing the suffering our sport occasionally demands.
*Age (General or specific) early-mid 50s
*Occupation -- lawyer; preoccupation -- cyclist.
*How did you find the Paceline? It's been so long, I can't remember.
*Favorite Bike -- currently, 1978 Chris Kvale.
*Whatç—´ in your stable -- too much.
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? ~54mph on Joaquin Miller Drive in Oakland hills.
*How many miles did you ride last year? Not enough.
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question.
*What is the biggest lie you ever told? I swear, honey, this is the last bike I'll ever buy.
*Tell us something fun. See above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solvang Finish.jpg (61.0 KB, 678 views)
Old 11-13-2015, 03:39 PM

*Real Name - Joe
*Where do you live? - Seattle, WA (Magnuson Park)
*Explanation of your forum handle. - Hatian Creole for "Thank you Jesus" just a reflection of a thankful life.
*Age (General or specific). - 25
*Occupation. - Mech Engineer - supporting biotech
*How did you find the Paceline? - I entered road cycling through triathlon, and then realized cycling was the part I truly enjoyed. I migrated here from Slowtwitch. Lots of useful training info... even more big egos! Looking for something a little more relaxed and cycling specific.
*Favorite Bike. - Of all time? ...probably the old bmx style bike with coaster brakes I had as a kid. I had more fun with that bike than any bike since!
*Whatç—´ in your stable? - Cannondale CAAD 3 r1000. The franken bike of frankenbikes, it started life as a stripped down frame abandoned on the side of the road. I eventually tracked down the original owner who it was stolen from--she told me to keep it!
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? - Hmm... 45 mph or so way out in the middle of nowhere in Eastern WA. I'm not heavy enough to go fast!
*How many miles did you ride last year? - 2.5k or so
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question. - My favorite mid-ride snack is a plain tortilla.
*Tell us something fun. - When I was in college I worked for the very first coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

My wife and I in Vancouver, BC.

Doing my time in the wind. (Ellensburg wind!!)

Trying not to get dropped in my first CX race on a 10 speed Nishiki!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:16 AM
GoatLeg

*Real Name Brian
*Where do you live? San Francisco
*Explanation of your forum handle. My catch-all online nickname. Long dumb story of my dumb friends being drunk. It's really dumb, trust me.
*Explanation of your avatar. My what?
*Age (General or specific). 34
*Occupation. Pizza serf
*How did you find the Paceline? Bike nerd friends and ····.
*Favorite Bike. That I own? My Pinarello. Or my Salsa. Or my Bob Jackson. Perhaps my Eddy Merckx? Definitely not my Gios Super Record or my Hillman track. Definitely.
*What’s in your stable? I think I just inadvertently answered that.
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? I dunno... 45-50ish mph? Either jamming down Spooner Summit on Lake Tahoe or the Five Brooks drop on Highway 1, just north of Dogtown.
*How many miles did you ride last year? 9799
*Picture of yourself, your ride, or both together. http://instagram.com/p/71C9Obyfd7
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question. Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen? (a la Cliff Clavin/Jeopardy)
*What is the biggest lie you ever told? I didn't do it.
*Tell us something fun. Bikes are pretty fun, no?

How do I make that picture work??

Last edited by GoatLeg; 11-17-2015 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:31 AM

*Real Name Julian
*Where do you live? North Jersey
*Explanation of your forum handle. Catchall for athletic forums, mainly a rower
*Explanation of your avatar...
*Age (General or specific). 24
*Occupation. Marketing Analyst
*How did you find the Paceline? Bike nerd friends and searching for info on Serotta
*Favorite Bike. That I've ridden? a Pronto
*Whatç—´ in your stable? CAAD8, new bike coming for Spring...
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? Probably mid 40s on a big descent in central NJ.
*How many miles did you ride last year? way more than I thought I would
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question. Why do you ride? Started as cross training for rowing while injured, then it became addicting
*What is the biggest lie you ever told? I know how fast I can go
*Tell us something fun. Cycling. This is the most fun you can have in a sport: its hard, you get fitter, and its social
Old 11-25-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho753 View Post
Greetings.

* real name, if you like: Randy
* where do you live? Berkeley, CA
* explanation of your handle: UCSB alum/favorite ride's tubing
* explanation of your avatar: I'll have to pick something...
* age (general or specific) late 30s
* favorite bike: Look Bernard Hinault (Reynolds 753)
* what's in your stable? 1986 Look Bernard Hinault, 1989 Team Park Pre, 1973 Ron Kit Titanium, 1974 Nishiki Competition, 1974 Peugeot UE-8, 1990 Park Pre MTB.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 64mph, descent into Camarillo, CA, around '89 as a reckless teenager.
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? I don't count, but not as many as I would have liked.
* picture of yourself or your ride? This from a former life:

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: My 3-yr-old daughter truly believes goblins will come during the night and take toys that are left on the ground. I think she might actually be scared. I'm feeling a little guilty. Just a little.
* and, something fun: The Oakland A's defeated the Kansas City Royals tonight 1-0 on a stellar performance by their new pitcher Tom Milone, and I just opened a Guinness!e

I've been spending a lot of time at one of the other online bike forums, and think I might diversify.
Weird. Was searching for randomness online and came across this picture in Google images. That is me in the background. Obviously a Jr crit in Northern California around 1987/86. I can't tell what bike it is, but I am thinking it was an aluminum Peugeot the team gave me when Vitus started getting popular. It wasn't bonded, just pressed and crimped in place. I only rode it for about two months before my awesome 17 y/o power pulled the seat tube out. I owned a Serotta Nova Special at the time. It clearly isn't that bike, because I wouldn't ride it in crits and it was green/white fade. When the Peugeot broke, they sold me a Vitus frame, but it was red. Not that bike either. Thanks for the memories.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:11 AM

Cool pic. It looks like it could be a Peugeot to me, one of the ones with earth-tone (yellow, orange, brown?) bands around the tubes - but DT decals don't look right. What group were you running? Levers look like DiaCompes or SunTour.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:45 AM

*Real Name (first or full - up to you)
N/A

*Where do you live?
I live in Boston. I am from Manhattan.

*Explanation of your forum handle.
Used to ride fixed in NYC.

*Explanation of your avatar.
N/A

*Age (General or specific).
40-ish

*Occupation.
IT

*How did you find the Paceline?
VSalon

*Favorite Bike.
Do not own it yet.

*Whatç—´ in your stable?
Lynskey Sportive (older version with 1-1/8HT)

*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When?
Over 40mph. Ireland. When I was much younger and on a bike teen tour.

*How many miles did you ride last year?
Not enough.

N/A

*Make up an answer to at least one additional question.
I do not like answering questions.

*What is the biggest lie you ever told?
Still working on that one.

*Tell us something fun.
My sister-in-law and I have the exact same measurements/fit on a bike.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:02 AM

*Real Name Marc
*Where do you live? Alexandria, VA
*Explanation of your forum handle. It's my middle name, and it's spelled the French way, so it's my go-to because it's rare
*Explanation of your avatar...
*Age (General or specific). 45
*Occupation. business owner -- consulting
*How did you find the Paceline? across the hall references. I have a hand-made habit.
*Favorite Bike. That I've ridden? mine. And a Dogma with EPS
*Whatç—´ in your stable? Ira Ryan fixed gear, Ira Ryan distance road bike, Firefly road bike
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? 54 MPH. Descending Ventoux on a Pinarello.
*How many miles did you ride last year? 2,712. Over 3,500 for 2015
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question. Why do you ride? Helps me think
*What is the biggest lie you ever told?
*Tell us something fun. Slow down, put away the Garmin, get very lost, then take it back out.[/QUOTE]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ventoux 2.jpg (66.7 KB, 536 views)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:35 PM

Hey, I was... I know that name from somewhere, I watched 91 track world like in 92 or 93 with my scotch friends in a tape... Duncan was... goo UK.... gooo scotland Goo..!!! (put some dundee accent to that please)

You had good legs man... minute and a fraction in KM, it is insane, which multiplication you were using?? Just curiosity, since obviously I never made it to those levels.

UM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
*Real Name - Anthony Stirrat
*Where do you live? - Edinburgh, Scotland
*Explanation of your forum handle. - Nickname of Jocko
*Explanation of your avatar. -Not sorted one yet
*Age (General or specific). - Old enough to know better, young enough to remember
*Occupation. - Currently manager of a ebike shop
*How did you find the Paceline? - Looking for info about one of my bikes
*Favorite Bike. - Daccordi
*Whatç—´ in your stable? Merckx x 4, Bianchi FG Lite, Daccordi, Spesh, Orange P7, Kona Coil Air
*Fastest speed on your bike? Where? When? Off road - 105kph in Morzine, on road 115kph Col de Jouplane
*How many miles did you ride last year? Not enough
*Make up an answer to at least one additional question. Have 29" thighs
*What is the biggest lie you ever told? - Ofcourse I love you more than my bike
*Tell us something fun. Multiple British and World Cup medalist

I'm the one on the bike
Attachment 1697907385
Old 12-23-2015, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Hey, I was... I know that name from somewhere, I watched 91 track world like in 92 or 93 with my scotch friends in a tape... Duncan was... goo UK.... gooo scotland Goo..!!! (put some dundee accent to that please)

You had good legs man... minute and a fraction in KM, it is insane, which multiplication you were using?? Just curiosity, since obviously I never made it to those levels.

UM
I rode 51 x 15 (91.8 inches) with conti Olympic 110s which would bring the gear down by about .7. Kilo riders these days are using 52 x 14 ( 100 inches)
Old 12-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Only 51x15??? Basically you went with almost a 50x15... smaller wheel, sure you were at full speed (63km/h) before the 1st 200 meters, the incredible thing for me is that you did not hit the wall, all the laps almost at the same speed, that is the hardest thing to do in this race... My last 150 meters sucked to the point of getting off the podium every year just because of hitting the wall.

How you guys dealt with hitting the wall problem?? Any special training for it?? What was the trick??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I rode 51 x 15 (91.8 inches) with conti Olympic 110s which would bring the gear down by about .7. Kilo riders these days are using 52 x 14 ( 100 inches)
Old 12-23-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Only 51x15??? Basically you went with almost a 50x15... smaller wheel, sure you were at full speed (63km/h) before the 1st 200 meters, the incredible thing for me is that you did not hit the wall, all the laps almost at the same speed, that is the hardest thing to do in this race... My last 150 meters sucked to the point of getting off the podium every year just because of hitting the wall.

How you guys dealt with hitting the wall problem?? Any special training for it?? What was the trick??
I would do a nasty turbo session three times a week of 20 min warm up followed by 30 x 1min on, 1min off then 20mins recovery then Repeat two more times. I would also do LT sessions of 20secs on, 5 secs off till I couldn't pedal anymore roughly about 70-80 efforts
Old 12-23-2015, 10:10 PM

Insane work out man, that made up for the 8 seconds difference we had hehehe... you were allowed to keep one of the bikes?? Technology changes so much that every national team end up with a lot of crap that is not used no more...

How much you were doing in training but with a normal bike with normal whels??? like 1:03 ???
Old 12-25-2015, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Insane work out man, that made up for the 8 seconds difference we had hehehe... you were allowed to keep one of the bikes?? Technology changes so much that every national team end up with a lot of crap that is not used no more...

How much you were doing in training but with a normal bike with normal whels??? like 1:03 ???
All my training was done on normal wheels and tyres so when the race wheels came out the bike felt better and faster. We did lots of miles on the road (500-800 miles a week) for endurance and recovery and on the track there was lots of standing starts to work on technique and flying 500's and 1000's behind the derny. Most of my kit I gave away to younger riders to help them out and hopefully inspire them.