Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
I use both the Pedro's and the Bondhus hex sets, but I'm looking for a T handled set. The Wera Hex Plus and the Whip are options. Anyone have either of these?
I have the Bondus t handle sets in hex and torx. They are nice when working on the car or other stuff, but there are a lot of places they won't fit on bikes due to their length.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie View Post
I was listening to I think the Escape Collective podcast and they were singing the praises of hex wrenches marketed to the RC car world. I forget the brand name.
OK I found it, it's a company called MIP, and the money quote from the podcast is "they make PB Swiss look cheap." However, their hex keys only go up to 3 mm, I guess RC car bolts are not any bigger than that.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:29 AM

I picked up some Wera wrenches and I'm shocked at how much I like them. They seem to turn screws that other tools have a hard time with. I'm sure they might be deforming some screws, but frankly I'm willing to put up with that due to their extraordinary demonstrated ability to grab even semi-stripped hex bolts.

As an example, my crappy on-bike multi-tool stripped out the seatpost binder bolt on one of my bikes. I was ready to despair - until I tried the Wera on it. It immediately grabbed the bolt and it was out with no problems whatsoever.

Wera - I'm sold, personally.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecherrypie View Post
OK I found it, it's a company called MIP, and the money quote from the podcast is "they make PB Swiss look cheap." However, their hex keys only go up to 3 mm, I guess RC car bolts are not any bigger than that.
3mm and below is where rounding out hex heads is a common issue, so precision is definitely required there. 4mm and up, most Bondhaus and Elkinds are fine provided the screw isn't already messed up.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:37 PM

I’ve been pleased with my eklind t handles hex wrenches.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:44 PM

This thread has got me thinking it’s high time to invest in a set of Wera hexes. Do you all recommend the black coated version or stainless?
Old 03-27-2024, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramp View Post
This thread has got me thinking it’s high time to invest in a set of Wera hexes. Do you all recommend the black coated version or stainless?
Didn't try any that are black. Bought both 05022087001 and 5022720001 (stainless, pricier) and kept the cheaper set as I couldn't discern a fitment difference.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:16 PM

Quote:
This is the one I have, and the one I see sold in bike shops.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For $41, I mean, you just can't go wrong.
Old 03-28-2024, 07:15 AM

I love my Wera allen keys. But if you have any parts with a recessed bolt, like the pad adjustment of disc brakes like the TRP Spyres and Growtacs, the Wera wrenches wont fit past the outer cover because of how they step down from the head to the handle. Some multi tools are also like this which I found out the annoying way on a long tour and had to adjust my brakes. So if you have those brakes keep a standard 3mm around.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:33 AM

I use allen wrenches a lot for work. I wear out a Bondhus set every few years, 1/8" is a common size for small fan blades. I keep a fine grit aluminum oxide grinding wheel on a grinder and use it as soon as I see rounding on the end. I only need to take off less than 1/64 to get it to bite securely again.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:47 AM
Randomhead

I'm not a big fan of Bondhus t-handles, but that seems to be what everybody's work buys. The big problem is they are shaped like a hammer, and sometimes you need a hammer. And the rubber coating only lasts a couple of years.

I have Allen, Bondhus, Wera, and Wiha hex keys. I like the Wera best, but all of them are pretty good. The Wiha T-handles are really nice. I have looked at Wera T-handles, but they are too rich for me. And when I was serious about buying some, I only found them in individual wrenches. Wera screwdrivers are really nice, especially the ones that are meant to be used as a chisel, but the Wiha precision screwdrivers are a lifesaver.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Stainless is easier to (not) maintain unless you're old school and wipe your tools with an oily rag every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsawyer23 View Post
But if you have any parts with a recessed bolt, like the pad adjustment of disc brakes like the TRP Spyres and Growtacs, the Wera wrenches wont fit past the outer cover because of how they step down from the head to the handle.
Wera offers some hex keys with the hexagon shape all the way through: https://products.wera.de/en/l-keys_l...ex-plus_6.html

But the design of the Spyres with that deeeeep 3mm adjustment bolt is annoying. Most multitools won't work with it.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:02 PM

+1 for Wera

Also Wiha makes great tools, if you're looking for T-handle i like these:
"8 Piece SoftGrip Hex T-Handle Metric Set"

https://www.wihatools.com/products/s...finish-8pc-set
Old 03-29-2024, 01:15 AM

Another option for fancy t-handle hex keys are ones from Facom/USAG. Not cheap, but supposedly used by Ferrari and Ducati!

Good luck!