Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2024, 12:08 PM
cnighbor2

I would try

A sports therapists clinic
Old 03-06-2024, 02:57 PM

I posted about my chronic pain a couple of years ago. It was really bad, and came on relatively quickly and apparently without any explanation--no event set it off, so far as I could tell. It started with a swollen knee, then another swollen knee a few weeks later, then a swollen ankle, and slowly it seemed as though every joint and bone in my body hurt, especially at night. It was hell. I was tested for all kinds of things (Lyme and RA, e.g.) and pretty much everything came back negative except for signs of inflammation. The rheumatologist diagnosed sero-negative rheumatoid arthritis (i.e. RA even though all tests were negative) and prescribed lots of different drugs, beginning with the older cheaper ones (DMARDS), like methotrexate. They gave some slow and mild benefit, but after 2 years of being on those drugs, the doctor finally put me on a biologic (Humira). My chronic pain is now virtually completely gone. It still strikes me as a kind of miracle. Of course I don't know if Humira is the actual cure--correlation does not prove causation--but I'm too afraid of the pain returning to experiment with going off it. I still have plenty of minor aches and pains--from old-fashioned arthritis, etc.-- but the generalized pain that literally made me weep at night is completely gone.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:45 PM

Onno, so happy for you. I have an underlying suspicion that I have the same issue as you. I’m really looking forward to seeing the rheumatologist in the near future.
Old 03-06-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
... But since I am blood thinners it is not a good idea to have that done right now and would likely not result in a diagnosis and the treatment would still be the same...
Be really careful with the thinner situation and physical activity - specifically, do not push it. All the natural recovery processes your body goes through is retarded by those drugs. Most prescribing docs will tell you to be careful about knocking your head, but have a convo with a good ortho doc and they will give you an eye-opener as to how slow healing will be on those drugs. From my experience, Pradaxa, Eliquis, and Enoxaparin were brutal at treatment doses and prophylactic doses of Xarelto and Eliquis were somewhat better.
Old 03-06-2024, 05:28 PM
Windrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
I have been dealing with chronic pain for several years. Other than multiple joint osteoarthritis no explanation. I can generally manage with Ibuprofen, Tylenol, the supplements turmeric and glucosamine, and ultra-low dose naltrexone (off label, but my physiatrist prescribed it and it helps). For those of you who also have chronic pain, what works for you? Many thanks, Tom
2 Personal experiences:

1.) Slipped disc with shooting pain down my leg radiating from Hip Lasted for the several weeks working thru ins to finally get a discectomy Because it was nerve pain, the only meds that works was gabapentin. For me understanding what was happening allowed me to research body positions that relieved the slip on a temporary basis. I got a real appreciation of what chronic pain must be like. Hats off to you for living with it.

2.) My wife was diagnosed with chronic Lyme disease in her brain and joints as well as degenerative arthritis of her spine 10 or so years ago. for half that time she was in excruciating pain as well as having severe cognitive issues caused by Lyme induced brain damage.

Meds help to some extent, and a routine of pulsing antibiotics has the Lyme almost completely in remission. The largest benefit she got re the pain was a complete change in diet aimed at reducing inflammation. this included:

a.) an almost complete removal of sugar from her diet. Hard stop. This is a lot harder that it seems on the surface.
b.) A complete gluten free diet.
c.) Dramatic reduction of processed foods.
d.) Elimination of non-fresh meats
e.) Elimination of all cow based dairy products.
f.) elimination of Soy based products.
g.) elimination of High carbohydrate foods.
h.) elimination of artificial sweeteners.
i.) elimination of corn and corn based foods.

She was in such bad shape that we did an rotation diet for about a year, basically, 3 high protein fresh meals each day (excluding everything above) . Over a 4 day period, no item could be duplicated (Including spices). Talk about a PIA but during the year her inflammation and therefor her pain reduced dramatically. We then began reintroducing items slowly paying attention to what resulted in inflammation. Long painful process but well worth it.

I feel for you living in chronic pain......it is so mentally exausting.

Good Luck

len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 03-06-2024, 06:46 PM

Lyme is such a large disease that little has been done to address it.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekgguy View Post
Any chance you're on a statin? I had been on 10 mg of Rosuvastatin, aka Crestor, for a little less than a year when I began to get knee pain that left me soft-pedaling. It also began to affect any muscles I stressed through my workouts to the point where it felt like my muscles weren't able to recover between workouts. I've been off it for one week now and the pain is mostly gone.

Kevin g
I had exactly same problem. Pain in knees and legs. Stopped taking statins. Doc gave me Rx for Praluent...an injectable drug every 2 weeks. Just under skin....no real pain. Works better than statins on Cholesterol with no side effects (for me). Lowers LDL much more than Crestor. Praluent went off my insurance drug list, so now on similar Rapatha.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I was given meloxicam when I had a nearly frozen shoulder a few years back and find it to work great. I was told it was less harmful to take regularly and only requires one pill every 24 hours. I still have a bunch and will take them occasionally instead of ibuprofen.
Excellent stuff.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:13 PM
Windrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Lyme is such a large disease that little has been done to address it.
Yea, and Insurance doesn't acknowledge it........ My out of pocket for the last 10 years is insane...... I'm just grateful we could afford it, but it sure has put a dent into retirement.

Len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 03-08-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len J View Post
Yea, and Insurance doesn't acknowledge it........ My out of pocket for the last 10 years is insane...... I'm just grateful we could afford it, but it sure has put a dent into retirement.

Len
I'm so happy to read that your wife is feeling better!! Lyme is nasty business!

I seem to have beaten mine back as well; brain functions normally now (more or less) and mostly I'm doing OK. What I'm still getting (I hope) is the occasional reminder that I'm getting older.

If people are getting random pain (technically, pseudo-arthritis) it is ALWAYS worth getting a Lyme test added to your blood panels even if you have to pay out of pocket. I know a lot of us spend a fair amount of time outside--and although there are 'hot zones' (we're in the middle of one) for tick-born infections, the areas where you can get bitten and infected are spreading by the year. And a significant number of people who are bitten and get infected NEVER get the bullseye rash.

Last edited by paredown; 03-08-2024 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:56 PM

similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Bit of an aside, but I read a great article a while back about a guy who discovered, isolated and tested a sea snail venom that eliminates all pain with zero addictive qualities or bad side effects.

It is apparently approved now but only in a spinal pain pump for severe pain.

Once it is developed fully and more readily available it sounds like it could have far reaching uses and revolutionize pain control.

Anyone heard of this?
Not heard of this but know French Canadian drywall and plastering contractors treat their shoulders with bee stings!