Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2022, 09:55 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
I must be blind, I cannot see the alleged motor doper do anything untoward with his hands. Putting his hand on the top of the lever? I do that all the time because the reach of my bike isn't sufficient. .
what I saw him do was, after shifting a couple of rear cogs, put his thumb on the top of the hood and, it seemed like he pressed with his thumb.. I put my hands on the top of the hoods like that as well, but I don't immediately take them down like that guy did.. (he seemed to press and then moved back down) and he only put his right hand on the top of the right hood, not the left..
Old 08-14-2022, 09:57 AM

Back and to the left. Back and to the left.

His response is more damning to me than his hand gestures.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Why call this motor doping?

This is not doping, it is simply cheating.
Euphemism-ism
Old 08-14-2022, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
I have done the Maratona dles Dolomites twice. It's intense and beautiful, probably 99% there are not for taking a leisurely "century" ride. Full road closures make for fast riding, I was more mentally destroyed than physically. It's so popular that you enter a lottery to get a spot (8,000-12,000); you can also get in through a limited number of packages.
The start is on grids based on past times or your estimated time, grids open at 0530 and the event begins at 0630 as the sun rises. There are time limits too...if you are on the long course,for example, you must come in within a certain time at a point or you won't be allowed to continue to finish the long course.
Oh, you must submit a medical certificate by a doctor stating you are ok to compete.
For me it was a fantastic experience. Photo from Maratona site.
That's intense and good on you as they say. Me I don't think I would enjoy riding with that many people but I see how this could appeal.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Thanks ^
Alistair beat me to it. The MdD is the biggest and most prestigious, but there are numerous others. Were you so inclined (at least pre Covid) and prepared to travel, you could easily have done a dozen similar events across Europe, many on closed semi-closed roads, with fairly substantial prize money.

While 95% of the participants are there simply to, well, participate, the top group are categorically racing. I was due to do the the UK masters event in Cambridge (got ill the week before) but I was warned that trying to stay with the front group would likely be a fool’s errand as it would be Cat One standard or better.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:46 AM
Randomhead

"motor doping" is a succinct way of saying how they cheated. I think it's a term that's here to stay.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
"motor doping" is a succinct way of saying how they cheated. I think it's a term that's here to stay.
Succinct, like the German word motordoppen.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:01 PM

Next time I launch an attack on my group ride I’ll punch in a 3 digit PIN into my right hood first and see if there is any reaction.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:16 PM

If I had seen that video without any context I would have assumed he just got dropped from a group and was struggling to stay close. I see a guy on the limit with fidgety hands. All the shenanigans with the bike seem a little fishier to me. If they’re going to give out purses like that then they have to expect cheaters. If they care about it, then they’ll take measures to stop it; maybe most effective being not paying cash for top finishers.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Next time I launch an attack on my group ride I’ll punch in a 3 digit PIN into my right hood first and see if there is any reaction.
Maybe better trying an Xbox code, left shift, left shift, double tap, right shift.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Maybe better trying an Xbox code, left shift, left shift, double tap, right shift.
Invalid code. Your account has been locked. Please select all images with a bus to unlock your account.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
If I had seen that video without any context I would have assumed he just got dropped from a group and was struggling to stay close. I see a guy on the limit with fidgety hands. All the shenanigans with the bike seem a little fishier to me. If they’re going to give out purses like that then they have to expect cheaters. If they care about it, then they’ll take measures to stop it; maybe most effective being not paying cash for top finishers.
I think the report I read said that they plan to add bike x-ray equipment for next year.

I just assume that if it is too good to be true then something's not kosher. He was dropped from the front group, and then rode to catch back on--and those climb times are unbelievable for everyone but pro never mind after that kind of extra exertion.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:09 PM

So much noise about nothing. If you watch him ride, he changes hand positions frequently, and he has one or both thumbs "on the button" quite often.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:28 PM

Snip:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Back and to the left. Back and to the left.
There had to have been a second shifter...
Old 08-14-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
Snip:

There had to have been a second shifter...
Look at the photo -- grassy knoll behind and to the left.