Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2021, 08:17 AM

Any Basso Gap fans?

Just for grins, I am curious if anyone has info on or own this style of Gap. I believe it to be a 1998. Notice the interesting combination of lugs and brazing. Anyone know what tube set it might be?

It was not in as good of a condition as the photos made it seem. I told the guy thanks for his time but he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

I might try my hand at painting the top tube only. I recently painted my front bumper with automotive paint, primer, and clear so with the primer and clear I have left I should be able to get my supplier to match it really close and could do a smooth blend. Honestly it might even look better to me without the decals in the top tube.

The other option is to strip and paint the whole bike with new decals… not sure I’m feeling that though. This is just one I’ll ride for a bit and then sell. Just a fun project.

Hopefully I can find these missing shifter caps/name plate things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BFF1D1CF-3490-4611-A6D7-110216C14727.jpg (123.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpeg C027D4D2-945C-4D03-95D3-060A0AE4809A.jpeg (97.1 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpeg 971A1510-FCED-43BE-9DD5-9A503C1659FB.jpeg (101.8 KB, 245 views)
Old 11-19-2021, 08:31 AM

Yessir!

I had one for 6 years and loved it. The mix of fillet brazing, lugs, and the lugged fork crown is very handsome. It also rode beautifully - confidently.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...&postcount=697

I actually picked up the same frame one size up from GBCoupe and it's in my workstand right now.

To my understanding that is a 1998. They were made of a mix of Columbus and Deda tubing. I can't figure out what the exact tubes are, as they just call them Basso Tube Concept. It's not a weight weenie frame, but the ride quality, to me, is smooth and firm in the right places.

The paint on these was fragile to begin with. I don't think there's a right answer in what you want to do with it. It's nice to have a pretty bike and it's nice to have a bike that doesn't require a soft touch.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:32 AM

I am a huge fan of Bassos. I have a gap as my primary bike, but it's a few years older than yours, and looks very different (all lugs).

I think paint/decals are a weak point on these, as mine is definitely showing its age, but other than that, I really like the bike.

Spent a bunch of time painting and polishing an ultegra rx derailleur
to get a full silver groupset with a clutch. Mine just fits the 27mm vittoria green stripes I've got in the picture.

Not sure my wheels quite fit the aesthetic, but they're light and I picked them up for cheap. I'm tempted by nemesis tubulars every time they pop up in the classifieds.

Rode a newer aluminum Basso for the Nova Eroica in Buonconvento in 2018 and had a great time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20211010_144332409.jpg (117.2 KB, 238 views)
Old 11-19-2021, 08:32 AM

Hmmm....

I had an earlier one and it was a great ride. Not sure of all the details on this one though. Maybe reach out to Basso, they helped with info on mine.

For the STI Shifters parts. Those are not cheap anymore but several folks 3D printing those now for a much more reasonable price. Just hunt around on Ebay.

The Gap was there top end model primarily during steel's heyday. I think in the later years it was more high midlevel model vs top. Basso's are hard to find out much on though unfortunately. Hopefuly someone chimes in with a lot more info.

Last edited by jamesdak; 11-19-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:33 AM

Note that 28's are tight - specifically side to side at the fork crown. You could fit them, but I rode 25-27mm tires.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:38 AM

Beautiful picture and bike grumpus - as an enabler, I vote you grab those nemesis tubulars!
Old 11-19-2021, 08:41 AM

Love mine but it is older, an ‘84. In the 80’s the year of production is in the first digit of the serial #. Not sure if that persisted into the 90’s. Basso, IMO, is an under appreciated marque. I have several Italian bikes from the 80’s and the Gap stands out. I have a Colnago Super that I’m planning on letting go, keeping the Gap.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:56 AM

Beautiful frameset. The fillet brazing is super smooth and lugged BB and socket drops make for a nice combo.

Tubing could be Columbus, Deda, Oria or a mix of those.

Sadly, I never built mine up before I sold it to Todd. Happy it will finally see some use!

Go ride that bike and then decide how much time effort and $ you want to spend.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Love mine but it is older, an ‘84. In the 80’s the year of production is in the first digit of the serial #. Not sure if that persisted into the 90’s. Basso, IMO, is an under appreciated marque. I have several Italian bikes from the 80’s and the Gap stands out. I have a Colnago Super that I’m planning on letting go, keeping the Gap.
I just checked mine out of curiosity, and the serial number now begins with the full year (98). I confirm this is a 1998.

On a side note, did the seller say how that top tube paint damage occurred? I'm curious.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpus View Post
I am a huge fan of Bassos. I have a gap as my primary bike, but it's a few years older than yours, and looks very different (all lugs).

I think paint/decals are a weak point on these, as mine is definitely showing its age, but other than that, I really like the bike.

Spent a bunch of time painting and polishing an ultegra rx derailleur
to get a full silver groupset with a clutch. Mine just fits the 27mm vittoria green stripes I've got in the picture.

Not sure my wheels quite fit the aesthetic, but they're light and I picked them up for cheap. I'm tempted by nemesis tubulars every time they pop up in the classifieds.

Rode a newer aluminum Basso for the Nova Eroica in Buonconvento in 2018 and had a great time.
wow, where was that picture taken?
Old 11-19-2021, 10:17 AM

I owned a Basso Gap in the early-mid 90s, a model before yours (blue and yellow). The frame had tubes that were proprietary, but if memory serves me, they were equivalent to a SL-tubed Columbus. The bike was excellently made, and was set up w campy ergopower 8spd. It was heavy compared to today's standards, but most of the weight was concentrated on the wheels. I believe they could be built to a decent weight nowadays. This Gap model with filed joints came in the late 90s, prob 97-99. It looks in ok condition; i'd take it to a lbs and ensure the frame is aligned. if not, they can bend it to alignment. those were good bikes and are worth the effort. i'd do the same. am not sure about repainting, tho. just check the level of rust, if any, then decide. keep this bike - i regret selling mine.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
I just checked mine out of curiosity, and the serial number now begins with the full year (98). I confirm this is a 1998.

On a side note, did the seller say how that top tube paint damage occurred? I'm curious.
Thanks all for your comments and photos so far. He didn’t say, but it almost looks like it was being used as a commuter and leaned on something daily.
I guess if the paint were fragile enough, it could be from always stopping and unclipping the same foot and resting it on that leg.

Last edited by TronnyJenkins; 11-19-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 04:56 PM

That is an interesting Gap, because most of the ones I've seen are not fillet brazed but lugged. Basso is odd in that it tends to use the same name for frames of different construction as the years go by. Here are a couple pictures of my early 2000 Viper from around 2006. At that time, the Viper was the top of their steel range, which went Gap, Loto, Viper (IIRC), and it said to be made from oversized 18MCDV6 H.T.. I had always assumed that this was Deda Zero, but according to Basso it was made by Mannesman (who I believe made Oria tubes). Mine takes a somewhat rare 30.0 mm seatpost, reflecting the OS tubing. The paint and workmanship on my Viper is really fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0251.jpg (116.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0255.jpg (72.1 KB, 121 views)
Old 11-19-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
That is an interesting Gap, because most of the ones I've seen are not fillet brazed but lugged. Basso is odd in that it tends to use the same name for frames of different construction as the years go by. Here are a couple pictures of my early 2000 Viper from around 2006. At that time, the Viper was the top of their steel range, which went Gap, Loto, Viper (IIRC), and it said to be made from oversized 18MCDV6 H.T.. I had always assumed that this was Deda Zero, but according to Basso it was made by Mannesman (who I believe made Oria tubes). Mine takes a somewhat rare 30.0 mm seatpost, reflecting the OS tubing. The paint and workmanship on my Viper is really fine.
Any idea where the "Evo" fell in the lineage?
Old 11-19-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
Any idea where the "Evo" fell in the lineage?
Not sure what the Evo model is. At times there was an Astra (steel ones were ELOS, but current lineup has an Astra carbon) and an Ascot made with Columbus MS tubing.