Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 07:50 PM
Administrator

OT: Ipad completely dead...

I have an ipad mini 4 that i use when i travel and it's really been babied. very low use and appears in perfect condition.

it is completely bricked. won't charge, wont turn on, wont respond to anything whatsoever.

I've tried the various button tricks to reset it, but no joy. I think the root problem is it wont charge.

any ideas?
Old 05-27-2022, 07:56 PM

I had a mini, and shattered it when I shut my tailgate on it (my van). I would just go ahead and get a standard or basic 9 or 10" model (or whatever the size is now). They are much easier on the eyes, and you won't notice their slightly larger size once you start using and carrying it about. Faster and better, and not much more money. You might get some credit for trading your mini in, even if it is broke. By the time you pay for a new battery, it's only a couple hundred more and you have a new 9 and a half inch unit.

Last edited by rnhood; 05-27-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
any ideas?
Take it to a Genius Bar. I had an iPhone that did that, and they fixed it in two minutes.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:04 PM

Assume you’ve tried other cables, etc? Blow some air into the charging port.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 05-27-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:06 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Don't get me going on Apple stuff.

After a very short and easy life the backlight on my Ipod Touch died, which made it 100% useless. The so-called "geniuses" at the Apple store said "Yup - it's dead. Nope, can't be fixed. We'll sell you another one, if you like." I looked at them as if they were crazy, and said "Based on the reliability of this one, why should I give you one cent of my money?" They of course didn't have an answer, and I walked out the door.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:10 PM
Vendor

I'd try the Genius Bar too. I had a broken iMac - way out of warranty - but the techs at the Genius Bar spent some time running some tests and gave me their assessment of what they thought the problem was. It wasn't going to be worth it for me to have them fix it, but the diagnosis was free. I think it was a graphics card. I ended up taking a chance on a refurbished one on eBay, followed the iFixit guidelines, and it worked.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:03 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

x2 on the charging port. Lint magnets, clean it out with a toothpick and give it a charge.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:42 PM

Try a new charging cable.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:12 PM

@Angry, was it plugged in the last time it was alive as far as you know, by chance?

Does the end of the lightning port look at all blackened? Even a tiny bit?

I've seen many iPad's just die like this over the years (working in IT and stuff) and more often than not, they were plugged in when they died. Is it at all possible that there was a power surge in your home that fried the iPad?
Old 05-28-2022, 04:47 AM

You could at least use a voltmeter to verify the Lightning connector has voltage on it. Search "Lightning Connector Pinout". You may need sharper probe tips than standard tips to touch the charger contacts. Shoot; they're so cheap it's worth buying one just to test, and forget the voltmeter.
Old 05-28-2022, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Don't get me going on Apple stuff.

After a very short and easy life the backlight on my Ipod Touch died, which made it 100% useless. The so-called "geniuses" at the Apple store said "Yup - it's dead. Nope, can't be fixed. We'll sell you another one, if you like." I looked at them as if they were crazy, and said "Based on the reliability of this one, why should I give you one cent of my money?" They of course didn't have an answer, and I walked out the door.
OK, 'we' won't.
I have been part of the Apple universe since about 1985(Apple2 GS). Have owned over 2 dozen Apple products from the early iPod thru current iPad, Macbook, Mac mini......Maybe 5-6 different iPhones and gee, have had exactly one problem with the screen of my 4 year old Iphone6+..and the 'genius' guys did something, for $75 and I still use it today.
So...YMMV and all that BUT, walking off the thread drift.

For Angry, have you tried to plug it into a desktop Mac?

And to add what 4flys said below..I have NO idea how the thing works..what whatever goes to whatever to make whatever do whatever....just want to turn it on and use it.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-29-2022 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:49 AM

FWIW, my iPhone's lightning port died a little while ago. I was still able to charge it wirelessly, but if it had been older, it would have been dead.
Went to uBreakIFix and had it repaired.
The guys there told me that this port is one of parts that break on iPhones and iPads and that it is not uncommon.
Old 05-28-2022, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys.

It had not been plugged in for a couple weeks and was working when I put it away last; so not a power surge issue. Yes I’ve tried many different cables and charger units; including the new MacBook one that I have here.

I’ll have my wife take it to the genius place at the mall next week and see if they can revive it. Otherwise a new one it is. That’ll make the trifecta for me this month. Just got a new phone, the new MacBook and now the iPad dies, so it goes, lol.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:45 AM

I would say the battery is shot. Maybe it discharged when you put it away for a long time and that killed the battery, which might have been weak to begin with. The battey can be replaced, saving you the cost of a new iPad, but the people at the genius bar can make that assessment. If it's old, you might want to replace the iPad anyway.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:20 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
OK, 'we' won't.
I have been part of the Apple universe since about 1985(Apple2 GS). Have owned over 2 dozen Apple products from the early iPod thru current iPad, Macbook, Mac mini......Maybe 5-6 different iPhones and gee, have had exactly one problem with the screen of my 4 year old Iphone6+..and the 'genius' guys did something, for $75 and I still use it today.
So...YMMV and all that BUT, walking off the thread drift.
Agreed.. I was a PC guy forever and had tons of PC laptops, etc.. every time, after about 6-8 months, it would be running much slower, something would go wrong (internal wifi goes out, etc).. eventually I went to a Mac based on my wife's suggestion (she was a Apple 2e family) and I haven't looked back.

Here's the thing- I don't care how a computer works, I just want it to work. I don't ever want to have to know what code to type in the green screen box to get to a certain command prompt to fix something.. I just want the magic ponies inside to keep doing what they do.. and Macs just do that! Do some go bad? Of course, but I'm pretty sure not a higher rate than non-Apple products and, I would bet, at a lower rate overall.