Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2018, 03:30 PM

Pocketable Mini Pump?

I recently got a new bike, and my frame pump didn't fit (it's currently on its way to a fellow PL member). I'm debating whether to get another (correctly-sized) frame pump or something small enough to fit in a jersey pocket. I've used Lezyne mini pumps in the past with good results, but I'm wondering if there is anything else out there that is small and works well.

Anybody got some good recommendations for small pumps that don't need to be attached to the frame?
Old 06-28-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurto View Post
I recently got a new bike, and my frame pump didn't fit (it's currently on its way to a fellow PL member). I'm debating whether to get another (correctly-sized) frame pump or something small enough to fit in a jersey pocket.
Done and done:
Old 06-28-2018, 03:42 PM
n - 1

I haven't found anything better made, especially for the money, than Lezyne. I usually just carry the Small sized HV pump (not HP).
Old 06-28-2018, 03:52 PM
aka RAEKWON

I would get another frame pump. Lezyne masterblaster, $30 and its one of the best frame pumps. If you use it once a year it is worth over a mini pump (imo of course)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:54 PM

Topeak Race Rocket. I have one and it's a winner. It will pump up a tire to full pressure, though it does take a while because it's small. But it's not poorly made. It threads onto a valve with a small hose, making a good seal to the inner tube valve stem. And it fits into a jersey pocket easily.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:55 PM

I have the Lezyne Pressure Drive and it's a good pocket size, has the flexible hose and seems built well.

I was always curious about the Silca Pocket Impero, though it's pricey... But most of their stuff is top notch.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
I was always curious about the Silca Pocket Impero, though it's pricey... But most of their stuff is top notch.
I have one and carry it often. Haven't had to use it much, though. It does the job, but I've found it finicky enough that I'm moving to a full size frame pump (Zefal HPx). Biggest problem seems to be the sealing of the chuck on the valve stem. Lots of wasted effort in air leakage. Maybe it's just me, though. The pump itself is made very well, and will likely serve my grandchildren...

Previously I'd used the Blackburn Airstick, and went through several of those. They would eventually fail either in corrosion of the internal valves, or in the case of the last one, just seize up the insides. The dual action was nice in getting tires up to pressure quickly, though.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I have the Lezyne Pressure Drive and it's a good pocket size, has the flexible hose and seems built well.

Ding, ding, ding!
Old 06-28-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:

My frame pump was the big Impero, and it worked great when I needed it to. I like Silca stuff, and the couple of times I've needed customer service, they've been awesome to deal with. I'm just considering not spending a ****load of money on another pump that probably won't get used much; however, that's not the kind of attitude we like to see around here
Old 06-28-2018, 05:14 PM

https://ipump.co.jp/store/ipump-micro/

Can’t get any smaller than this one. I got one when they where on Kickstarter. It does work though you need many strokes to get tube up to presssure.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:51 PM

Unless riding solo in the boonies I've gone to a chuck and a couple of CO2 cartridges.

Used to carry a Genuine Innovations combo CO2 Inflator/pump, which actually worked well for being 7in long. Clamps onto a presta and stays there while pumping - or screw a CO2 on and use it as an inflator. CO2 cart attached to opposite end makes a good pump handle (as pictured). Not a precision tool, but is 10-11 years old and still works like new. Light, easy to pocket/snap in cage bracket, and reliable enough for emergency backup. When carrying just a couple of CO2's seems "risky" I will take this along - I know it and a patch kit will get me out of a jamb in the middle of nowhere. That said, if your reality is that you puncture frequently and ride in the middle of nowhere, you might want something more substantial.

Think they're out of production now but no doubt someone still makes something similar.

Last edited by sitzmark; 06-28-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:06 PM

When these Unich first came out, there was a guy on another site offering something like a 50% discount. I’ve had it over a year now and like it so much that when I want to lighten the tool burden for a short ride, I leave the CO2 behind. Fits into a jersey pocket with about a cm sticking out. I can pump a 23 or 25 c tire to about 90 psi without too much of a workout.

BTW, I’ve had enough rides with flats > CO2 supply that I carry a pump now.

https://www.amazon.com/DUAL-HP-S-OR-.../dp/B00EC0CWAU
Old 06-28-2018, 08:44 PM

i have one of these on each of my road bikes alongside the bottle cages. and the mtb version in my hydro pack. love these things

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post

Old 07-01-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
i have one of these on each of my road bikes alongside the bottle cages. and the mtb version in my hydro pack. love these things
Also, have the same pump on three of our bikes, one of the best mini pumps I've owned.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:40 AM

Lezyne HP for road and the HV for mountain biking.

The screw on chuck and flexible hose are the bee’s knees. Even the gauge works well on the HP.

Last edited by Marc40a; 07-02-2018 at 09:40 AM.