Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
The stock market is going like a freight train and yet economic inequality is at an all-time high.

The math doesn't equate.
Agreed but I think the real elephant in the room is consequences of climate change and overpopulation. It won't matter how much money anybody has if you can't get a loaf of bread or water...etc,etc.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
Agreed but I think the real elephant in the room is consequences of climate change and overpopulation. It won't matter how much money anybody has if you can't get a loaf of bread or water...etc,etc.
Agree...Those who are climate change deniers and assaulters of women's reproductive rights..they seem to be the same person(s)..who yell that stuff for political points with their 'base' and winning elections..
Old 12-29-2019, 08:41 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Agree...Those who are climate change deniers and assaulters of women's reproductive rights..they seem to be the same person(s)..who yell that stuff for political points with their 'base' and winning elections..
Re: Climate. No doubt. And as the planet warms we'll spend more money on energy to keep it cool, and because the energy comes from global-warming-causing plants, the cycle will perpetuate.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:33 AM

all of this could be a good opportunty if the ostrich didnt have his head in the hole ignoring what is going on around him. instead we have leadership that prefers business as usual, milking as much out of the present as possible, completely ignoring the future. Lining pockets of donors and lobbiests, and appointing them into positions of protection on the industries they lobby for. short term thinking for a long lived species. thats bad leadership!
but the DOW goes up along with the income disparity and as long as some folks are able to chip away here and there and make a few bucks, they are content, and will urge other to keep with this status quo through bribes and whatever else money can do to make things so. however the only real winners are already winning, they dont need the help. we need to reduce the importance of the DOW, embrace modernity, react to the shift in market dynamics and reality, and move forward with a new and better plan that is inclusive of normal humans. We keep voting to serve the few, lets vote to serve the many, lets stop being fooled by this measure of success, as its only the measure of success for a few companies, not the nation, and certainly not the worker.

ignore the DOW, its not useful for most of us. we need a new normal
Old 12-29-2019, 12:34 PM

The DOW Is The DOW

The market is just that, buy and sell to your favor. At work I talk to the younger set often about it and got two to max out.

There are ups and downs and short term glances don't tell the whole story. I'll retire making well over twice what I am today.

Had I been savy in real estate, business or in a higher paying career I could have also achieved it that way. But as an average citizen using simple index funds I have made a way.

To demonize the DOW and wish to see it as agent of change is to not understand it.

I would like to see the thread open and active as the market is indeed interesting and I lose/profit with it's fluctuations.

I believe what most are expressing here though are political problems with only political answers, and as I've said, that deserves it's own thread.

And unfortunately one that probably wouldn't stay open very long.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

I believe what most are expressing here though are political problems with only political answers, and as I've said, that deserves it's own thread.

And unfortunately one that probably wouldn't stay open very long.
It's been open almost two years. If it was going to turn political, I think it would have by now.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:08 PM

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
It's been open almost two years. If it was going to turn political, I think it would have by now.
Read above.

They're trying but a few are keeping it on track so far.

2020 is going to be another wild ride.
Old 12-30-2019, 06:31 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Re: Climate. No doubt. And as the planet warms we'll spend more money on energy to keep it cool, and because the energy comes from global-warming-causing plants, the cycle will perpetuate.
Yes, as will over population(the real root of all these problems) and archaic, 17th century 'ideas' on things like birth control will continue to be yelled as some sort of 'moral' high ground.
Quote:
2020 is going to be another wild ride.
You can say that twice..even after the calendar has turned to 2021..post Jan 21st, 2021..regardless of the outcome, things are gonna get bumpy...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-30-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:08 AM

Dow 29,000
Old 01-10-2020, 09:24 AM
Classics Fan

If anyone is in the market, they should be aware of the impact that buybacks have had over the last 20 years.

This recent article raises some interesting issues.

https://hbr.org/2020/01/why-stock-bu...or-the-economy
Old 01-10-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
As a nation we continue to move in the wrong direction on climate change thanks to leadership that is not only in denial but is also in fossil fuel’s and other lobbyists’ pockets.

In short, it’s all about the Benjamins.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/09/polit...act/index.html

Last edited by nickl; 01-10-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:27 PM

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Dow 29,000
Came to post it

Everybody and their Uncle are trying to predict where the cliff is. I read two articles today that used archaic methods to try and analyze new data that bolstered their assumptions.

The jobs report was the big news, wasn't as high as anticipated but still well over 100,000.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
Came to post it

Everybody and their Uncle are trying to predict where the cliff is. I read two articles today that used archaic methods to try and analyze new data that bolstered their assumptions.

The jobs report was the big news, wasn't as high as anticipated but still well over 100,000.
'Predict?'..it'll be goin' down next time somebody sitting in the big chair chooses to poke somebody 'east' of 'here'...cuz it's good for his wee ego...
Quote:
Typically the figure economists cite as the minimum number of additional jobs needed to keep the unemployment rate flat is about 150,000 to 200,000.
So, kinda marking time..Funny how the previous job reports were 'fake news', but these are like they were brought down from the mountain top on stone tablets..
Old 01-11-2020, 07:10 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
'Predict?'..it'll be goin' down next time somebody sitting in the big chair chooses to poke somebody 'east' of 'here'...cuz it's good for his wee ego...

So, kinda marking time..Funny how the previous job reports were 'fake news', but these are like they were brought down from the mountain top on stone tablets..
Job creation in 2019 was the lowest since 2011.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:32 AM

DOW 30K soon.

Last edited by Tony T; 01-11-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Tags
economy, freemoneyhouse, game stop, i like this stock, stonks, wealth