Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 09:07 AM

rear hubs with easy disassembly?

I know Ritchey Zeta wheels allow for easy removal of the cassette. And just found out that VO Grand Cru touring hubs do the same thing.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...11-speed-130mm

Are there other brands that offer this feature? Thinking a rear wheel built using this hub would make for easier packing of my S&S coupled bike.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:10 AM

All dt ratchet hubs have this feature. Which is part of why their popularity is so great. 350 240 190 180 possibly a few more years past.

Looks like those are more or less a copy of dts design but i dont know for sure who had what first tho.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:13 AM
Lanterne rouge

A buddy of mine tipped his toe into wheel building. He went with these hubs. They were pretty nice for the price.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:21 AM

not sure DT works the same way

With Zeta and VO hubs the axle pulls right out and that reduces width for packing. Looks as if the DT requires way more steps in order to reduce the width of wheel?

VO:

DT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-5-dOvfYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
All dt ratchet hubs have this feature. Which is part of why their popularity is so great. 350 240 190 180 possibly a few more years past.

Looks like those are more or less a copy of dts design but i dont know for sure who had what first tho.

Last edited by eddief; 02-18-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:23 AM

Nothing easier than DT Swiss, IMO. I can even work on em, which is saying a lot.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:27 AM

Oh okay my bad. Thought you meant the freehub and easy of changing cassettes.

The width wont be reduced a great deal by only doing that and the axle does not just pull out.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:30 AM

no bad

I could have been more precise.

all good dialogue and information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Oh okay my bad. Thought you meant the freehub and easy of changing cassettes.

The width wont be reduced a great deal by only doing that and the axle does not just pull out.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
I know Ritchey Zeta wheels allow for easy removal of the cassette. And just found out that VO Grand Cru touring hubs do the same thing.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/...11-speed-130mm

Are there other brands that offer this feature? Thinking a rear wheel built using this hub would make for easier packing of my S&S coupled bike.
I have the Zeta hubs on my Breakaway bike. They are spectacular! I ordered a second freehub and can quickly and easily swap cassettes when traveling between San Fran (hilly), and Indianapolis (flat). And I got another, in Campy, and can swap them between Shimano and Campy bikes. I didn't know VO had this option too. More companies should do it!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:03 PM

DT 240/350 and all Stans (330 and S1) are painfully simple. Hopes are just OK. On a budget? Been impressed with the new SRAM 900, similar to the Stans S1 and they come with all different caps etc. Want a complete PIA? Get a Chris King? Stupidest design ever if you want to switch freehub bodies or axles. Way over engineered and cost prohibitive. If you can afford a King hub, just get a DT 240 and call it good
Old 02-18-2018, 06:47 PM

But Chris King hubs do offer very easy disassembly (two allen keys), which is what the OP asked about. And they may be more complicated than other hubs but they are also extremely durable and reliable. And they have a very rapid engagement. And they have some of the best flange geometry for the best possible wheel building. There's a reason why a lot of builders like to work with them.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:23 PM

Miche hubs are piece of cake aswell.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:17 PM

King general service is easy, but wait until you install an Xdriver for someone who was too cheap to buy the shell with bearings installed. Joy, plus the tool needed is like $180. Nice stuff but over engineered

Prefer the DT. Freehub bodies and axle caps take moments to change out for just about any combo and they build up pretty nice. For some reason I like the straight pulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
But Chris King hubs do offer very easy disassembly (two allen keys), which is what the OP asked about. And they may be more complicated than other hubs but they are also extremely durable and reliable. And they have a very rapid engagement. And they have some of the best flange geometry for the best possible wheel building. There's a reason why a lot of builders like to work with them.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:06 AM

Try changing the bearing behind the ratchet ring in a DT 240/350 and let us know tools what you used.

At least in a King hub all the bearings are durable enough to be serviced multiple times before anything needs to be replaced.

And anyway, DT hubs are not the answer to the OPs question. You can't remove the axle without taking some of the bearings out.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:45 AM

I replaced my White Industries CLD bearings recently and it was pretty dang easy.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moobikes View Post
Try changing the bearing behind the ratchet ring in a DT 240/350 and let us know tools what you used.

heh. Sometimes the drive ring won't come out....