Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 AM

A hub I have always found easy to disassemble is Phil Wood FSC hubs. Two bearings in the hub with a hollow axle held in by a cap on each end, you just need to Loctite the end caps down.
I haven't taken apart some of the new lighter hubs yet.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
King general service is easy, but wait until you install an Xdriver for someone who was too cheap to buy the shell with bearings installed. Joy, plus the tool needed is like $180. Nice stuff but over engineered

Prefer the DT. Freehub bodies and axle caps take moments to change out for just about any combo and they build up pretty nice. For some reason I like the straight pulls
When you get into advanced service, most of the hubs require bearing pullers and similar devices, so I wouldn't knock Chris King for that one. And frankly, I've had probably 50 pairs of King hubs through my hands, all ridden heavily by myself or teammates, for cross, single speed cross, MTB, single speed MTB, and of course road and gravel, and never had to service anything. Period.

If that is part of the definition here, I'd suggest Dura Ace, Ultegra or Campagnolo Record. Go for loose bearings and all you need is a pair of cone wrenches. And those hubs are as bulletproof as anything else you can buy.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:00 AM

I've put a lot of thought into travel bikes over the years. DT Swiss hubs work really well for this purpose. Here's why:

- There are only 5 internal parts and each of them is big. Two springs, two ratchet rings, and the pre-load spacer. No tiny pawls to get lost in your hotel's shag carpet when you're assembling your bike after a long flight in a fog of jetlag.

- The non-driveside endcap can be easily removed and the axle doesn't extend much from the hub on this side. This will save about 20mm of space.

- Each of the endcaps has an o-ring in it...if you remove this o-ring the endcaps will be much easier to pull off. Having them inadvertently fall off and get lost isn't an issue with a QR hub as the QR will hold everything together. Tool-free and quick.

- They're common hubs and easy to get parts and knowledge for. Removing the spline to access the driveside bearing is a pain but considering those bearings last a long time it's a decent tradeoff.

- Bonus points: If you're handy with a lathe you can make an internal pre-load spacer and use a White Ind style axle and endcap system so the entire axle can be removed saving even more packing space. I sold my Break Away before I got this deep.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Can I buy Ritchey Zeta as just hubs anywhere?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:50 PM

Ol' Potatoe built me a rear travel wheel using the Velo Orange Hi-Lo hub and was favorably impressed. It packs beautifully and is easy to disassemble with no tools or even strong hands required. I know it's discontinued (36h still available), but certainly it's someone else's hub re-labeled for V-O and probably exists elsewhere (Circus Monkey, Bitex, BHS, or whomever actually makes those?).