Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKeller View Post
Personally,

I swapped to Campy (10spd) back in 2001 when I got my first custom ti bike by Rich Gangl. I had ridden Shimano New 600 then moved to Dura Ace but it always needed adjustment and the asthetics...well, the stuff just looked like what everyone else had. Seeking out something different that was reliable and looked like it was made for a race bike led me to Campagnolo.

I still have my Gangl with the same Record 10spd that just works...all the time. I've since acquired 2 Looks, a 695 and a KX Light. Both have Campy, Super Record 11 spd circa 2009 and Chorus 11 spd circa 2010 respectively.

To me, Campy looks great, is super reliable and shifting is very intuitive. There are a few Campy users around here but the shops have little to nothing for Campy. And the most of the 'mechanics' lately say they hate working on it...I honestly don't know what is so hard about it. I do most of my own wrenching and find Campy super easy. In fact, my riding buddies always comment on how quiet my bikes are and how they can't hear me shift.

I have tried Shim and SRAM bikes lately which work well (one Dura Ace setup needed a lot of adjustment) but they don't have the solid, precise feel of Campagnolo.

YMMV but I will be on Campy for the duration.
Shimano has NEVER been able to match the quiet running sound of Campy. We noticed that a long time ago. Suntour was also much quieter than Shimano. Noise means power loss to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
As a 'mechanic' I can attest that Campy works great, when it works great. And when it doesn't - sloppy rear indexing, chainsuck - it can be a bear because there is nothing obviously wrong.
I have never once been unable to repair a Campy equipped bike. I'm not going to say never, but no so far.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Shimano has NEVER been able to match the quiet running sound of Campy. We noticed that a long time ago. Suntour was also much quieter than Shimano. Noise means power loss to me.

I have never once been unable to repair a Campy equipped bike. I'm not going to say never, but no so far.
Exactly. I can't remember the last time I even had to adjust my cable tension on any of my campy-equipped bikes.

Last edited by OtayBW; 02-18-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:10 PM

My Campy popularity gets stronger every time i ride it, know what im sayin?

seriously, dropping the hammer with the thumbies is one of the best things in life, like hooking a wild steelhead or making the most wonderful woman in the world smile.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Exactly. I can't remember the last time I even had to adjust my cable tension on any of my campy-equipped bikes.
Not just good shifting. The chain running through the derailleurs makes a much louder buzz on Shimano bikes. Campy is louder than they used to be, but still quieter.
We noticed it on group rides. You are surrounded by bikes with different groups and the Campy bikes had less of the buzzing sound.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I'm curious why you would need to adjust the cable tension on a non-Campy bike. Do Shimano or SRAM derailleurs somehow change shape over time?
Old 02-19-2018, 06:40 AM
Vendor

Quote:
I'm curious why you would need to adjust the cable tension on a non-Campy bike. Do Shimano or SRAM derailleurs somehow change shape over time?
Yes. It's a very old saying, but still true, Campy wears in and Shimano wears out.

I like Shimano. Don't get me wrong. But their pivots are famous for wearing out quicker than Campy. SRAM is faster than both.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
Plus many Campy parts are not cross-applicable with other brands, limiting the LBS market for component sales to the existing Campy users. Based on this point, Campy has been facing some inherent market constraints since indexing emerged. I’d imagine they’ve adapted their biz strategy to accommodate. But if I’m right about this, I don’t expect them to go toe to toe against Shimano.
With the exception of a Campag compatible rear hub only taking a Campagnolo cassette, nothing is 'cross compatible' with the other 2 either(shimano-sram cogsets)...Campagnolo will NEVER go toe to toe with shimano nor do they want to. They make 5 groups and wheels. NOTHING below Centaur...

sram has chosen to go 'toe to toe' with shimano and altho they have made some inroads, OE/shimano bikes are much more common than sram/OE..Campagnolo has choosen to be a 'premium' brand, like Audi/Rolex/Porsche...shimano is like Toyota, sram like Hyundai/Kia...IMHO, of course.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I haven't owned Shimano for 20 years and I've never had Sram - but then, I didn't come here to diss them either.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I am still riding Record 10 from the mid-aughts on both my road bikes. Still works, and no desire to upgrade. I always said I would get some SR11 for my 40th birthday, but I'm 42 now and still love the 10-speed Record stuff. So it's still popular with me. If I had to upgrade, I'd go to 11-speed Record or Chorus.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
With the exception of a Campag compatible rear hub only taking a Campagnolo cassette, nothing is 'cross compatible' with the other 2 either(shimano-sram cogsets)...Campagnolo will NEVER go toe to toe with shimano nor do they want to. They make 5 groups and wheels. NOTHING below Centaur...
well, Shimano front derailleurs will work with Sram shifters. and road calipers for either will work fine with each other. the same is true for using either of their brakes with Campy shifters, but not vice versa. but yeah, chain/cassette/crankset are interchangeable between the three.

I doubt it's still possible with 11 speed, but you used to be able to use Campy shifters with Sram/Shimano derailleurs. I have a friend who used to run a "Shrampagnolo" equipped crit bike; just whatever parts he could cobble together to make it work. think it was 8 or 9 speed though...?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:44 AM

Unless you're riding Mavic Zap, your groupset sucks.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
sram has chosen to go 'toe to toe' with shimano and altho they have made some inroads, OE/shimano bikes are much more common than sram/OE..Campagnolo has choosen to be a 'premium' brand, like Audi/Rolex/Porsche...shimano is like Toyota, sram like Hyundai/Kia...IMHO, of course.

It seems like there are a good number of MTN bikes OeM equipped with SRAM, so I am trimming. Hey are doing OK on that side of the fence. Road bikes, right, doesn’t seem like much except for the halo builds where etap seems to be specced a fair amount, but how many of those are the bike companies really selling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2018, 10:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
well, Shimano front derailleurs will work with Sram shifters. and road calipers for either will work fine with each other. the same is true for using either of their brakes with Campy shifters, but not vice versa. but yeah, chain/cassette/crankset are interchangeable between the three.

I doubt it's still possible with 11 speed, but you used to be able to use Campy shifters with Sram/Shimano derailleurs. I have a friend who used to run a "Shrampagnolo" equipped crit bike; just whatever parts he could cobble together to make it work. think it was 8 or 9 speed though...?
Not 11s, front ders with sram levers or rear ders. Ahh, you mentioned that. Put 11s cogset(‘s’ brand) on ‘10s’ wheel ? Nope since you mentioned things that ‘used to be’...Adjust well and you can use Campag brakes with ‘s’ levers...it’s not the ‘cable pull’, it’s lack of QR.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Not just good shifting. The chain running through the derailleurs makes a much louder buzz on Shimano bikes. Campy is louder than they used to be, but still quieter.
We noticed it on group rides. You are surrounded by bikes with different groups and the Campy bikes had less of the buzzing sound.
i noticed this saturday, i dont group ride often, so it was shocking to me. all these fancy S works with ultegra or dura ace and geez they were grinding and buzzing and so noisy. I was thinking sheesh, the bike shop owner oughta be selling chain lube at the start of every ride, or ear plugs, or tuneups, or Campy