Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 06:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
I know people are not that into Specialized here but comeon. Someone is a scumbag.

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/sites...018%5B1%5D.pdf
There are a lot of 'types' that really make me angry..but thieves are right up there with child molesters and people who hurt animals on purpose. Hope they catch him and he can start a long term relationship with Bubba..
Old 02-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Undoubtedly social media attracts scumbags. This has been documented countlessly.

Flaunting your possessions on social media is akin to counting your money on a subway, only with more scumbags and thieves.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Thieves should be removed from society.
Yeh, that's the problem. Unfortunately a lot of thieves are removed from society.

Perhaps if instead, they were valued members, they wouldn't end up stealing....
Old 02-18-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
thieves are right up there with child molesters
The two really are incomparable.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:28 PM

I really hope he gets his whips back. Blaming his social media is ridiculous as that's a major part of his job at Spec. Thieves are scum regardless of their attack vector and if anyone tries to sell any one of these I bet they'll get caught quick. That said I've been noticing a trend of targeted high end bike theft in CA over the last 5 years.

Last edited by zzy; 02-18-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
The two really are incomparable.
Agree. People are not things. Losing a bike sucks, I can only imagine even more so when you pour your heart into it like Nohlin has done. But it doesn't compare to child abuse and our justice system treats them differently as well.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:02 PM

Not to blame his social media specifically but there should be recognition that Such a theft is just one negative of the use social media and subsequent engagements of it.

Shia LaBeouf's flag located by airplane contrails. Could one of this guy's post provided the theif knowledge for the commission of crime at hand?

But then again, it could be an inside job.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:47 PM
mentholated

bike thieves ride huffys in hell, YES.
but can we please have a moratorium with the “i hope the guy gets raped in prison” kind of narrative.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:09 PM

This deserves an explanation, I'll make the popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Yeh, that's the problem. Unfortunately a lot of thieves are removed from society.

Perhaps if instead, they were valued members, they wouldn't end up stealing....
Old 02-18-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
This sure seems to have been much too fast and specific to be anything but a pre-meditated and well-organized act. I wonder if "collectors" are somehow behind it, and the bicycles will never be seen again.
I would guess that the last thing that a bike collector or "collector"(?) would want is for a stolen bike to be among those in their possession.

Someone found out that there was an unattended room with items of apparent value inside, and with relatively simple-to-defeat security measures.
From there, perhaps that information was shared in a conspiracy to steal the bikes, or perhaps the original snoop took it upon themselves to steal the bikes.
Many thieves in urban areas are drug addicts who regularly steal and sell their goods to fences. Unfortunately, these fences are often very serious about removing the loot from the geographical area first, so that the chain of custody of loot isn't discovered.

Someone in Los Angeles who had their vintage bike collection stolen discovered that their bikes had been sold shortly thereafter at some remote high-desert, weekly outdoor swap meet, 50 miles out of town. Some of those bikes were recovered as I recall, but the owner apparently had to buy them back for at least the relatively low prices that they had sold for.

The big swap meet in Oakland comes to mind as one that is known for the transfer of stolen bikes, tools and just about everything else that comes out of victim's garages, homes and storage lockers, but it's all too possible that a load of high-end bikes gets moved first to Mexico, where prices on higher-end bike stuff is apparently high. There are crime rings that transport containers of stolen goods to many countries, even to China.

I myself had my garage cleaned out at night in Montebello, CA back in the mid 90's, my tool rollaway and lots of other stuff totaling about $2500. I never found any of it.

That the victim in this case has generated publicity so quickly has me thinking that they have a half-decent chance of finding out where it all went, and of getting at least some of the bikes back.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I would guess that the last thing that a bike collector or "collector"(?) would want is for a stolen bike to be among those in their possession.

That the victim in this case has generated publicity so quickly has me thinking that they have a half-decent chance of finding out where it all went, and of getting at least some of the bikes back.
Why not? Art collectors have commissioned thefts. Of course, these bicycles aren't Leonardos or Pollocks, but the group does seem pretty specific and unique. I have no idea if they would/did generate high interest, but I had a collector from Singapore extremely interested in one of my bicycles once, and it wasn't nearly as special as these...the persistence was a bit eerie.

I do hope like you that the attention might help the owner find one or more of his bicycles soon.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:45 AM

It seems like every few days I hear of a friend (or Instagram "friend") getting their bikes stolen somewhere in San Francisco. The Tenderloin is teeming with crackheads riding around on clearly-stolen bikes.

Most of those bikes are pretty unique. Hopefully he'll get a least some of his stable back.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 AM

Had a truck and two very collectible Ducati motorcycles stolen out of my garage. The thieves were stupid and were apprehended within a month. I wasn’t able to get my bikes back and that sucked even though they were insured. Still hurt and definitely felt violated. I have empathy for this guy.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM

I never used my garage remote control and to open mine you have to open the combination lock from the inside, so really wonder how hard is to open a garage door that is fully functional with the remote control and everything. Asking because always heard about bikes stolen from the garage... how hard is to open a garage door?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:33 AM

If whoever stole the bikes knows gear it wouldn't be a surprise for the bikes to be stripped and the frames dumped. If it's an addict the bikes are probably in another section of the city being ridden by whoever they traded them to for their fix.

If this is common like some of the other posters have stated the police may not spend much time on it given other crimes that happen in a city of that size.