Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2014, 08:09 PM

Jupiter

I was in Portland about a month ago and stayed at the Jupiter. If you're not looking for anything super fancy, it's pretty cool and it's in a great location. The service from the employees was great, but if you are near the bar area it does get pretty loud if it's a weekend or a show night. We were lucky to get amazing weather while we were there, but that just made the outdoor crowds at the bar even bigger at night.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 PM

Ditto

We stayed at the Jupiter a few weeks ago. I concur that it's a great place to stay. City Bike is just around the corner and The Farm Cafe serves up great food less than a block away. Just a short walk across the river to downtown.

Be sure to ask for a room away from the bar, unless you like the music.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:31 AM
Administrator

just wanted to chime in at how cool a resource this forum is.

just booked a few cool Portland hotels.

thanks Paceline, almost 4 years later.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:25 AM

thanks for the bump.

does anyone have a rec for a nice place outside of portland with views of the gorge?

i will also confess that i've been a bit spoiled since last time i stayed at a family member's place who had an awesome view of the gorge. her place was down by camas so it was reasonably easy to drive into the city. i've looked but can't really find something along the gorge. well there is stevenson but that seems more of a drive if you want to go into portland. anybody know of anything?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:34 AM

I was about to recommend Skamania Lodge, but then you indicated that perhaps Stevenson is farther away from Portland than you want.

But I'll still recommend the place!
Old 02-15-2018, 08:46 AM

thanks, ormojo.

yeah i've seen skamania which looks amazing and nice to have it confirmed. perhaps then i don't need to go into portland and make the next trip more of a gorge trip. i must say, staying along the gorge and waking up each morning to those views kinda sticks with ya.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:47 AM
Administrator

If you are looking for something a little different but cozy...

http://www.tinydigshotel.com

21 minute overview of the TinyDigs hotel...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc8o01Kf6zY

http://tinyhousehotel.com

William
Old 02-15-2018, 11:51 PM

If you want no frills and not pricey, the Inn at the Convention Center works well. Holladay St. and Grand Ave. NE. It is a lot closer to Motel 6 than the Ritz and the halls could use a lick of paint- we are talking no frills. If you want a high-zoot in-house restaurant, swanky workout facilities, a pool, or room service, this is not your place. But the beds are clean and comfortable, the area is safe, and if you don't plan to do more in your room than sleep and maybe watch a little TV, it is more than adequate and won't break the bank.

Excellent public transportation access - both the east-west train line and the circle trolley lines are right there, including the train in from the airport - so getting where you want to go is a breeze. Plenty of parking. If you drive, you'll save yourself some aggravation if you aim for the Grand Ave side, not the Holladay Street side. Because of the one-way streets and the trolley tracks, this matters.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:27 PM
Daniel

The Kimpton RiverPlace is a great hotel. I'd recommend that. Free happy hour, free bike rentals, walkable to all kinds of stuff.

If you don't have to stay in downtown, look up The Knotty Grotty on AirBnB. It's run by the owner of Rivelo (cool, tiny Rivendell dealer run).
Old 02-19-2018, 11:45 AM

The company I used to work for has their annual conference at the Skamania Lodge. Lovely location and rooms. I would definitely recommend it if you want to get away from civilization.

CaptStash....

Last edited by CaptStash; 02-19-2018 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Just saw how old the thread was!