Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Imshi Cycles

4130 CroMoly tapered fork blades, Mountain lugged crown and 15mm thru-axle dropouts, straight steertube, IS Disc Brake Tabs.

best line in the entire spec sheet.

im a fan. big fan.
it is just a crust evasion though haha
...which is a good thing...for all city.
too bda its not available till mid-august...

that BMC is also quite appealing in the $ and fork departments, even if it is 12mm up front.
stick it to the man, #ride15

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 02-17-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:29 PM

Am I crazy wanting to run this 2x? Who makes a 28/42 compatible crank?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpuddle View Post
Am I crazy wanting to run this 2x? Who makes a 28/42 compatible crank?
Wouldn't that be Sram in the X7, X9, XO 10spd variety? I believe that was offered in those levels.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:17 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
I like to think of the Macho Man as being named after the Village People song

https://youtu.be/zkTV2--PcDI?t=1m
I call mine the "3M" - macho, macho man

Nice to see a Surly without horizontal dropouts. I am not going to buy another bike with horizontal dropouts, it's one of the reasons I don't like my vintage bikes all that much. I never really understood why every Surly bike had to have horizontal drops, and every Salsa had to have adjustable dropouts also to cater to the fixed gear crowd. I really like my Salsa el Mariachi, but I can't get the rear dropouts to stop clicking.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:53 AM

+1 for waiting for black mtn road plus. this all city cool tho. can't hang with any of these names - gorilla monsoon, electric queen, and cosmic stallion especially.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:41 PM

i'm thinking a gorilla monsoon with flat bars and hydro brakes, 2x10 mountain bike would be pretty sweet looking. 27.5x2.4 non sus mountain bike.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:04 PM

BMC is going sloping top tube which is a big turnoff IMO. I go steel for the classic looks.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:51 PM

I like the horizontal top tube aesthetic as well (and the Surly in the first post has one), but if I'm going to be in a trail situation that necessitates 2.3" rubber, a little more standover is a nice thing.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:01 PM

I keep looking at this frame, I really want one.

I think it would make a really nice commuter/ rough stuff bike. 650b x 47 horizons, plastic fenders with lots of clearance, 1x11 stuff, city bars, Surly 24 pack front rack, the usual suspects I guess.

My usual commuter is a little too expensive for long term lock up, makes me a bit nervous

Maybe I could spray camo paint it to make it a little more low profile on the bike rack.

Does shimano make a through axle dynamo? or just schmidt and SP?
Old 03-06-2018, 06:29 PM

It's cool but I'm not sure what the point of it is when you could get a cross bike or a mountain bike, and this can't take the place of either really.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
It's cool but I'm not sure what the point of it is when you could get a cross bike or a mountain bike, and this can't take the place of either really.
Most of the dirt rides I do can easily be handled by this bike, and it's more fun to ride to the trail than a mountain bike. And comparing it to a cross bike, I'd definitely still call this a cross bike.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Bigger tires than a cross bike.

I hate suspension corrected rigid forks so stock rigid mountain bikes are all garbage to my eyes, plus most of them don’t have braze ons, unless they are bike packing bikes, than they have too many braze ons. Also mountain frames have bad geo for drops normally.

This is more of a touring bike with big tires for getting into a little trouble.

I don’t want a cross bike and you are right, this would be a bad cross bike.
I don’t want a mountain bike either but I did a lot of mountain biking on rigid steel bikes with skinnier tires and rim brakes so I don’t agree that this doesn’t take the place of a mountain bike. Well, I guess some modern mountain bikers would be afraid of assaulting the dirt on such a bicycle.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:34 PM

But would you guys get this over a midnight special for an allroad/commuter? I suppose the slightly bigger tire clearance would be nice, and the wacky non-TA-but-still-TA on the midnight specials are a bit odd, but yeah, I'd probably just go for that sucker instead.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:11 AM

The Midnight Special has dropouts that look like they're meant to be usable with both TA and QR. Not true TA from what I saw. The dropout doesn't actually surround the axel. Not a deal breaker, just odd.

Then again, the Gorilla Monsoon uses IS disc tabs so you're fancy new Ultegra hydros aren't going to work.

If you can wait until June/July, Mike at Black Mountain will be shipping out the Road + and Monster Cross Disc. For ~$700 he's packed a lot of thoughtful details in.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamin View Post
If you can wait until June/July, Mike at Black Mountain will be shipping out the Road + and Monster Cross Disc. For ~$700 he's packed a lot of thoughtful details in.

Again, this is what I'll do.

I've been really happy with my Monstercross. I've found new homes for a few extra bikes, as the MC does so many things right. I've even managed it for light touring on gravel with low riders and my Swift handlebar bag.

I want to ride the All City when our local shops have stock though. My son is interested in one and it's always great when he joins our group.