Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
A family member's University is offering each student $1000 to take the shot, but only $500 if they live off campus. No shot, no school. Her lawyer is writing a letter.
what's the letter going to say?
Old 05-08-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
Anyway, ever since my girlfriend (happily) got her second Moderna shot just over two weeks ago, she dreams every single night. They are also the kind of detailed dreams that she can easily recount. She's a bit freaked out because dreaming is a new experience for her and she definitely wants it to stop. But how's that for a side effect? I could see something like a vaccine affecting sleep for a night or two but suddenly turning dreams from "off" to "on" is pretty wild.
antiretroviral drugs .... This medication can cause insomnia, vivid dreams and nightmares.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
A family member's University is offering each student $1000 to take the shot, but only $500 if they live off campus. No shot, no school. Her lawyer is writing a letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post

I know how the university will respond to the attorney's letter:

No shirt
No shoes
No vax
No service
Old 05-08-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
It's probably going to be very threatening about damage claims, and make dubious arguments about personal rights. Most colleges that will be requiring students to be vaccinated have already examined the legal implications, and believe they are on strong legal ground, so a letter from a student's lawyer probably isn't going to make a difference. The schools response will probably just be that if a student chooses not be vaccinated, the college will be happy to return their deposit.

Here in Massachusetts, state law already requires students to submit documentation for immunization against measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diptheria, pertusis, chicken pox, and few others. If those requirements have stood up to legal challenge, then the requirement to being vaccinated against a recognized and ongoing pandemic probably will too.

Many Boston area colleges have already announced that students will need to offer proof of Covid vaccination before being allowed on campus next fall, including Harvard, MIT, Northeastern, Boston University, Boston College, Tufts, Emerson, All UMass colleges/universitys, Smith, Brandeis, Berklee, etc. The list includes both private and public colleges.

Last edited by Mark McM; 05-08-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:06 PM

If I remember correctly, our older daughter had to get her Hep a/b vaccine before going on campus
Old 05-08-2021, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post

No shirt
No shoes
No vax
No service

W.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:36 PM

This is an easy case. If the local diner can require customers to wear shoes, a university can require customers to be vaccinated against a highly communicable and deadly disease.

I'd take the case for free just to hold the record for the nation's shortest trial brief:

No shirt
No shoes
No vax
No service

The attorney making the threat may think he (she?) will generate some good PR among the tribe of potential clients but there is a real risk of a bar complaint for filing a case without merit. Attorneys are, above all, officers of (and licensed by) the court. There are higher duties than generating PR in a press release.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post

No shirt
No shoes
No vax
No service
Not a lawyer here, so who knows.

I don't agree with mandating experimental vaccines.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Well known local seafood "shack" is giving kids 100.00 when they show proof of vaccine for their summer job.
Blounts?
Old 05-08-2021, 12:53 PM
Steel..what else??

XX

Last edited by Big Dan; 05-08-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:56 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Wow! Just wow! The rhetoric on here is disturbing to say the least. To each their own and stop pretending there are not suitable medications nor a very low risk for most as in 99% of folks!

Get over yourselves as if you believe in this NEW shot them your protected right? So why are you all so insistent on others who have weighed the risk and made a different choice than you?

Telling a free society that they have to conform to make you comfortable is ridiculous in my opinion. The pharmacological approach to medicine is still in its infancy while the immune system has kept all of us going for many thousands of years. Just because you view things the way you do gives you zero right to force your views on others and that is that. There are plenty of medical doctors and qualified scientists who are against all of this, but have been censored by big tech, media and government, so until the conversations can be had amongst those folks then mind your own business and do what you feel is right! Shouldn’t be that complicated unless you believe you are somehow superior to other human beings.

I view this push on healthy people as nothing more than a mass marketing campaign. Pathetic to try and restrict healthy people from living their lives because they don’t want an experimental shot...

The shot may be helpful and it may not be. I know many who have had Covid and recovered. My brothers best friends mother died within 24 hours of the shot. She had already survived Covid. Anecdotal or sure, but it happens and I know of at least two folks with long haul effects from the shot who were perfectly healthy prior, so the risk is up to the individual...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do people care? Because basic public health. If the virus is allowed to continue to circulate among a significant percentage of the population who decides to not get vaccinated, it risks creating variants that vaccines are not effective against. And then we're back to Square One in all this.

There's been enough death from this thing. Just letting nature take it's course when we can do something about it is frankly a baffling position to take.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:08 PM

I dont really get this anti vax movement at all.
Had to convince my mum to go take the shots because she was reading to much junk info from veterinaires and the likes.

Id be v suprised if the risk of the vaccine is more than a tenth of the risk of participating in regular traffic in a Western country both in terms of deaths and injuries. Yet everyone (well Theres always someone) gladly accept those risks. Now if one would actually save other ppls lives by getting in a car every now and again who would be against that?

Seems blown way out of proportion..

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 05-08-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I respect your opinion and your choice. Yet, if your opinion and choice were to go to the nicest restaurant in town while barefoot and without a shirt...well, give it a try and report back.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:

Pfizer is now seeking full approval of their Covid vaccine, and other vaccine makers are expected to follow suit. Full approval could be granted as soon as late summer. After which, schools and employers may be allowed to require vaccination.

In times past, national emergencies have required citizens to pull together and make sacrifices, with people often putting themselves at personal risk for the good of the people as a whole. Wars have been such a time, when ordinary citizens have been put at risk, and often had to volunteer to put themselves in even greater harms way in order to ensure the safety of the country as a whole.

The coronavirus has taken more American lives in one year than World War II did over the course of 4 years. It has affected and disrupted the lives of every American, some to greater extents than others. If this pandemic doesn't quality as a national emergency that requires everyone to join together, and to make sacrifices to defeat it, I don't know what does. The most powerful weapon in our arsenal to restore safety in the country is to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible. It should be every citizen's patriotic duty to support this effort, despite the small odds of personal risk.

The generation of American who pulled together to first get us out of the Great Depression, and then to defeat the Fascist powers of WW II (the greatest threat to democracy in modern times) has often been called the "Greatest Generation." I wonder what they will call the present generation, who believe that their right to make any personal choice they want is more important than the consequences their personal choices have on the rest of society.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:39 PM

Moderna. Slightly sore arm for both shots. Some 36 hours after second shot flu symptoms, fever, chills, aches and felt pretty miserable which lasted about 48 hours.
Closed Thread