Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Pfizer is now seeking full approval of their Covid vaccine, and other vaccine makers are expected to follow suit. Full approval could be granted as soon as late summer. After which, schools and employers may be allowed to require vaccination.

In times past, national emergencies have required citizens to pull together and make sacrifices, with people often putting themselves at personal risk for the good of the people as a whole. Wars have been such a time, when ordinary citizens have been put at risk, and often had to volunteer to put themselves in even greater harms way in order to ensure the safety of the country as a whole.

The coronavirus has taken more American lives in one year than World War II did over the course of 4 years. It has affected and disrupted the lives of every American, some to greater extents than others. If this pandemic doesn't quality as a national emergency that requires everyone to join together, and to make sacrifices to defeat it, I don't know what does. The most powerful weapon in our arsenal to restore safety in the country is to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible. It should be every citizen's patriotic duty to support this effort, despite the small odds of personal risk.

The generation of American who pulled together to first get us out of the Great Depression, and then to defeat the Fascist powers of WW II (the greatest threat to democracy in modern times) has often been called the "Greatest Generation." I wonder what they will call the present generation, who believe that their right to make any personal choice they want is more important than the consequences their personal choices have on the rest of society.
What that version of history conveniently ignores is the not insignificant America First movement that symoathized with and supported the Nazi cause. Yes, a great bulk of the country pulled together, but it wasn't everyone by a long shot.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
What that version of history conveniently ignores is the not insignificant America First movement that symoathized with and supported the Nazi cause. Yes, a great bulk of the country pulled together, but it wasn't everyone by a long shot.
Well, that's true to some extent. And you can go all the way back to the birth of this nation, and note that during the War of Independence, a good number of colonists remained loyal to the English Crown. But in both cases, which side came out on the right side of history?
Old 05-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
What about the high risks groups that have been harming themselves? Maybe the 80% of the deaths caused by self inflicted diabetes, obesity and high blood pressure should be used to promote a healthy lifestyle. Maybe we need a passport for our food we buy. Concerned citizens questioning a new type of never before administered pharmaceutical are being chastised, but we look the other way at a 400 lbs person in an electric scooter at the grocery store loaded up on garbage food, with their overweight kid in tow.
??
‘You cannot harm others’...don’t get the vaxx, makes no difference to me but you have NO RIGHT to harm me.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:25 PM

Actually does make a difference to me. I want to see my providers (massage, PT, Drs) face. I don't want to plant my face down on a table masked. Sure if I go to Texas or Florida I could do whatever the f... I want but this is not the norm here in the north east. Also if we can knock this sucker out, this risk of variants is less. This is why we need to think/act globally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
??
‘You cannot harm others’...don’t get the vaxx, makes no difference to me but you have NO RIGHT to harm me.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Well, that's true to some extent. And you can go all the way back to the birth of this nation, and note that during the War of Independence, a good number of colonists remained loyal to the English Crown. But in both cases, which side came out on the right side of history?
Just wary of judging any generation as a monolith in their opinions and views.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Well, if you are a certain sort of Canadian, those who stayed loyal to the Crown are termed the "British Empire Loyalists" as they made their way north, and those who can claim them for ancestors in (especially) Ontario, like to think it confers an honor to their family about like being a Mayflower descendant.

(For other Canadians, not so much--especially those who find the Monarchy tiresome, and the old Tory/Ontario Blue Machine tiresome, along with Upper Canada College and the whole Wasp-y ideal of being Canadian...)
Old 05-08-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Wow! Just wow! The rhetoric on here is disturbing to say the least.
I know right? It is like a bad train wreck I want to look away but it keeps popping to top of General Discussion List

Sadly this talk about clubs for vaccinated vs un-vaccinated etc etc is just another form of the cancel culture that reared its ugly zero tolerance head during the political storms of recent years

Because at this time
1- Do the vaccinated know they can still catch Covid?
2- Do the vaccinated know they can still carry & spread Covid?

Because reading this holier than thou stuff gives me the impression they do not think so. This vaccine lessens the effects/symptoms of Covid period

But the best insanity I have read yet is the posts that state The US Military should all be forced to take this as yet FDA not approved vaccine because we need a State Of Readiness? Anyone know why it is as yet not approved?
Hint (lack of data/proof/side effect etc etc etc )

Have these folks a wealth of no idea of what a ready military means? It does not mean subjecting 100% of our forces to a Beta Test of a new drug

If in 9 months it goes pear shape then what? Do these people making these suggestions consider what they are saying? 100% loss of readiness due to? As opposed to a highly survivable illness as already proven in the Military

Anyway............Take the Vac........Dont take the vac.... personal choices exist

If your the weak/infirm/existing conditions then for sure take the extra precautions where you can

But to the Vaccinated.....Listen...Our State had over 430,000 new arrivals last month as we are a tourist destination....Many of these "newly vaccinated" Think they need not wear masks in public because of their misconception

It has caused its share of problems here so be polite
Old 05-08-2021, 04:56 PM

Does anyone here know anyone with polio?

So why should anyone get a vaccine against polio??
Old 05-08-2021, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Was a pretty interesting/informative thread when it stayed on topic, but i think we are significantly beyond the original scope of this tread.
Closed Thread