Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 02:56 PM

Campy 11 Speed VS 12

I have to replace my 2010-14 RD and would also like lower gearing than my 12-29. For those that have moved to 12 speed, how do you like it? Is it more fussy than the 11 speed? Do you or should you for better performance replace your 11 speed crank.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:25 PM
#RYFB

If I understand correctly, you're asking about upgrading the shift components to 12 while retaining the 11 speed crank. I can't offer firsthand experience on that, but I bought a new Chorus 12 groupset to replace an 11 speed build last year and I'm very happy with it. Shifting is definitely as good or better, especially on the front. One reason I made the jump is because I had put a 48/32 crank on another bike and liked it so much that the option on Chorus, in conjunction with a great price, made it a no-brainer. I went with the 11-32 cassette in order to have a gear that I could still spin on very steep terrain; if I had money to throw around I'd likely also buy the 11-29 to have as an option when the route is less pitchy. I like the hood shape very much, consider it a slight improvement to 11.

Probably the only change I'd make is to upgrade the calipers to Record. Nothing wrong with the Chorus brakes but I don't like that they use Shimano style pads when everything else I own uses Campy style.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:40 PM

It's no fussier than 11-speed and you can use an 11-speed crankset with no issues nor degradation of performance.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:24 PM

Check the price of a complete groupset, compared to buying each part individually. You may find that the crank doesn't cost that much more and of course you get new chainrings, cups and BB bearings.

I had 2018 11 speed and I chose to sell the old parts on Ebay and buy the whole group because I wanted the 48/32 crank.

I got my Chorus groups for $1060 from pinkjersey.com. They seem to be competitive with Euro websites, right now.

I've been riding two bikes with Chorus 12 for over a year now. Works great.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:30 PM

OP here.....is Chorus the best bang level?
Old 08-05-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmsj21 View Post
OP here.....is Chorus the best bang level?
It's the lowest priced level - cheaper than Chorus 11 from 2019. There's always Record or Super Record or Super Record EPS, if you want to spend more.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
It's the lowest priced level - cheaper than Chorus 11 from 2019. There's always Record or Super Record or Super Record EPS, if you want to spend more.
No really no great desire to spend more. My 2014 level group was made up of Chorus shifters and crank and Athena RD and FD. So I think Chorus is good enough.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:51 PM

I went from record 10 to chorus 12 and am very happy. It’s not as pretty, but it feels and works great. Love the added range.

I would buy the crankset. As Dave mentioned, the group cost is reasonable and you can deduct the cost of your old crankset provided you sell it.

I purchased from forum supporter https://velocipedeimports.com/

100% would do again. 12 speed and the seller.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:54 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Seconded, as in "best bang for the buck". Some have complained about not liking the metal rather than carbon blades, and I mentioned the small issue with the brake pads, but IMO these are easy tradeoffs for the price (I paid even less than @Dave, under $1K from Merlin). Plus, you said you wanted lower gearing and the subcompact crank option combined with the larger cassettes deliver that. Of course, you could always pair the Chorus crank with the more high-zoot shift group, brakes, etc.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:05 PM

I debated going record for the carbon bling and then went chorus for a few reasons:
-The largest functional difference is the rim brake calipers (my bike is canti)

-I think the chorus crank matched my frame better

-The three pieces they swapped to alloy (RD outer plate and brake blades) were the most common areas to get scratched, chipped, or have the carbon clearcoat start lifting. Campagnolo’s finish on black alloy is tough stuff. (It’s on a cross/gravel bike)

-lower cost

If I were building a road bike, I would do record with chorus cassette and chain.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:27 PM

I'm using a Sugino 10-11 speed crank with Chorus 12 and it works perfectly fine. I do wish 12 speed has cassettes starting at 12 teeth.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:32 PM
50 bpm

Just switched to supercompact crankset with my Chorus 11. Instant easier gearing!