Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 01:04 PM

Help with tubeless set-up leaking valve steam

I have a set of Reynolds ATR wheels. I have never been able to get the front wheel to seal with the problem being leaking around the valve stem. This is only on this wheelset and only the front.

These are first generation ATR’s.

I’m 99.99% certain the wheel is the problem, not the set-up. I’ve set-up a few dozens wheelsets and believe I’ve got it down. Often I’ll get some air leaking from a valve stem but it’s always very minor, seals up quickly, and stays sealed. Much like the minor bubbling of sealant that usually occurs around the bead before it seals.

This wheel will simply not hold air. At best it will hold pressure for 12 hours. I’ve taped it 6x using both Stan’s and 3M. (Both tapes have worked very well on other wheelsets) I’ve used 3 different brands of stems and both cone and barrel shape, with and without rubber O rings.

I’ve inspected the valve hole and to my eye I can’t see anything that would cause the valve stem not to seat.

I’ve looked a EThirthteen’s valves as a possible solution but I’ve tried Stan’s, WTB’s, so not sure that will work.

I’ve thought about taking a fine grit cone shaped grinding bit and use that by hand to gently sand a slight contour.

I purchased these used plus the age I doubt I have an warranty recourse. I don’t want a new wheel, just one that will hold air.

Suggestions?

Besides running a tube!

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2020, 01:10 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Orange seal valve stems have a few different grommet options to fit the rim bed the best depending on the width and shape you have to work with.

Are these leaking with sealant?
Old 08-05-2020, 01:10 PM

I don't own these rims; never seen them in person. It would not appear that the well has a shape that would make proper fitment difficult. I would try a valve that employs a rubber gasket.

The longest eThirteen valves may not be long enough to provide good pump head fitment.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:16 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Old 08-05-2020, 01:17 PM

Nice. Based on the ATR rim cross section image I'd pickup a pair of the Orange Seal valves. Unsure how you hold the valve inside the rim to tighten it though. Does the valve fit a hex wrench and I can't see it?
Old 08-05-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I don't own these rims; never seen them in person. It would not appear that the well has a shape that would make proper fitment difficult. I would try a valve that employs a rubber gasket.

The longest eThirteen valves may not be long enough to provide good pump head fitment.

You nailed it. But, I have tried a another brand stem(can’t remember brand) virtually identical but it leaked.

And the Colonel is correct I’m afraid that the EThirtheens may not be long enough. Website’s a little vague
Old 08-05-2020, 02:23 PM

I have had bad luck with the orange seal valves weeping through the base. I'm guessing it's the 2 piece nature (who knows though?) Both DTSwiss and Stan's have worked well on low profile/AL rims (gravel 35psi or so max) and 45mm Carbon rims (road 65psi max) for me. You tighten by hand, but can use a needle nose plier to make it snug, which helps in general.

Last edited by Davist; 08-05-2020 at 02:25 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-05-2020, 02:45 PM
shimergo

Take a look at DT Swiss tubeless valve stems that have the same rectangular seat as the Orange Seal stems (but are one piece).

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=51722

Old 08-16-2020, 06:36 AM

Problem solved

So to even out the bed of the rim I wrapped it 4 times with rim tape and then used a barrel type stem. I figured this would allow the stem to bed down better and provide a seal. Needless to say it was a challenge to get the tire on but 100% success. First time in the 4 years I’ve owned these wheels where the front one holds air.

I sure hope one day soon manufacturers will come up with only one tried and true standard for tubeless tires and rims. All these different methods out there make for very confusing and frustrating set-ups. At least for me anyway.

But at the end of the day, problem solved.