Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 03:59 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Ouch. That car is probably $50K today.
Probably not, because I would have put 20k mi/yr on it, and driven it through every snowstorm.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Probably not, because I would have put 20k mi/yr on it, and driven it through every snowstorm.
Okay, $45K. Most (all) aircooled Porsches are appreciating assets these days.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-04-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Okay, $45K. Most (all) aircooled Porsches are appreciating assets these days.
Even the water-cooled 996s are now going up, despite the recent market adjustment.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I dont know much about cars but don't all cars have a tip of point where they suddenly basicly have no value at all ?
There fixed that for you.

I mean after a while you just don't care about resale value. You use up the car.

You've got these particular rare cars that go down and then start appreciating again cause they're collector items but most cars are just something you use up like your appliances.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Even the water-cooled 996s are now going up, despite the recent market adjustment.
Right. Only early Boxsters still seem to be going cheap...but then again, a cheap Porsche can be very expensive.

I thought about buying a 968 a while ago, but then found that the ergonomics just didn't work for me...I sat way too low in the car...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-05-2020, 04:26 AM

Just make sure you check the maintenance history before you buy a Covid special. The longer this recession goes on, the more opportunity car owners have to skip and defer essential maintenance before inevitably dumping their car on the market.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:47 AM

Yes excellent time to buy a car. Picked up a fully loaded Lexus GS a couple months back with 28k on it for $17k. Absolute steal especially for a Lexus which will never die. Lexus Is the only brand I’ll stick with. Just have to shop around for the deals and wait.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post

....They may seem like a bargain today (and may very well still be if u also sell them before..) but i would not be suprised if they continue to drop like stones even in a none covid market. Then are they really bargains after say 10 years? ...
What's interesting is I took a quick look at market prices for both 2000 BMW 750's ($90k-ish list) and Honda Accords ($20k-ish list) and you can now buy either for about the same price.

Funny how that works.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
What's interesting is I took a quick look at market prices for both 2000 BMW 750's ($90k-ish list) and Honda Accords ($20k-ish list) and you can now buy either for about the same price.

Funny how that works.
Right. And look up the 75K or 100K service on both cars.

Owning an expensive German car is not for the faint of heart...particularly if you don't have a very good private mechanic.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-05-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Right. And look up the 75K or 100K service on both cars.

Owning an expensive German car is not for the faint of heart...particularly if you don't have a very good private mechanic.
Its always been that way. At least with the earlier ones a mere mortal with time on his hands could do most of the work if willing, now not so much.

The Lexusification of German cars really has killed the solid quality. Most of the guys on the car boards I frequent wouldn't touch a later BMW that was out of warranty if it were given to them. Unfortunately, Audi and MB not far behind. Porsche might be the sole exception, so long as you're willing to take the intermediate shaft lottery.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:28 AM
cmg

"2000 BMW 750's ($90k-ish list) and Honda Accords ($20k-ish list) and you can now buy either for about the same price." The Honda's will be in the 2015-2019 range.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Its always been that way. At least with the earlier ones a mere mortal with time on his hands could do most of the work if willing, now not so much.

The Lexusification of German cars really has killed the solid quality. Most of the guys on the car boards I frequent wouldn't touch a later BMW that was out of warranty if it were given to them. Unfortunately, Audi and MB not far behind. Porsche might be the sole exception, so long as you're willing to take the intermediate shaft lottery.
I just got rid of my '94 E420. I did most of the work on it including changing a water pump out, blower motor, brake lines, and minor engine work. I bought the car for $2000 ten years ago and maybe put another $1500 in it and it was ten years of bliss.

They can be problematic but there's nothing like driving a $70 dollar car for $2000 bucks even if it's just for a couple years.

A '94 E320 just popped up on my local Craig's List. Only 80k miles... Hmmmmm
Old 08-05-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
How much did the warranty cost?
$4k till 100k miles or 5 years with a $250 deductible
Old 08-05-2020, 09:16 AM

Still driving our '98 C230 with over 217K miles. Not a luxury vehicle but still an incredibly solid machine and super reliable. The original alternator just went kaput two months ago.

Our '06 E500 wagon is still our long distance road trip vehicle and tandem transporter. A more complicated machine (air suspension, brake by wire and four wheel drive) but it has one of the best engines ever made. Silly comfortable at 100-120mph. As long as the body remains solid this vehicle could be a rebuild candidate 10+ years from now.

Keep looking at SL55's. Same basic engine as our wagon.....longer stroke to 5.5l and a supercharger. These can be modded to around 700hp.

Then I keep looking at Porsche Cayman GT4's......

The Mercedes S class has no appeal. Too large so my wife would not drive it. Also, I have less confidence with recent/current Mercedes vehicles. Engines have become BMW/Audi like, build quality on C & E (S?) platforms has suffered......recent/current Toyota/Lexus/Porsche are probably better choices.

Last edited by zap; 08-05-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
s.

A '94 E320 just popped up on my local Craig's List. Only 80k miles... Hmmmmm
Those are fine chassis, had an E320 wagon. The 124's are great, but the 320 engine suffers from external head gasket leaks. 94 still has the biodegradable harness as well.