Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Chewy (pet supplies online) is also scary fast.
+1.

And they have amazing customer service too. One time I ordered $75 of stuff but then realized I made a mistake. I asked them to cancel and I made a new order. They couldn't cancel since it left but they said it would be re-routed to a different warehouse and I got a refund. The first order still arrived the next day and I inquired how to return it. They just said I can keep it or donate the extra.

I also have great delivery time from Merlin and CRC. I will never order from bikeInn again unless I have to.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:56 AM

Just took delivery of some Thomson carbon bars at a very nice price, along with 30mm latex tubes, and GP5K 32s...took a few days from ordering late at night to being at my door via DHL. I pay the $6.99 extra for tracked shipping every time - seems worth it.

For those not aware, if you become a VeloClub member on CyclingTips, you get a 10% off code for CRC every month - and it's a bottom-line discount - above and beyond any other sales. Right now you can join the VeloClub for $99USD including a year of Strava Premium. https://cyclingtips.com/members/vc-s...strava-bundle/. I'd pay the $99 just to support the journalism at CyclingTips and the excellent podcast - the other perks are just a nice bonus.

Anyway, yeah, I had one mishap with CRC - but they fixed it - and I've had no issues since.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:01 AM

I've had similar delivery times from the UK lately. The reason the UK companies have switched to DHL is because on July 1 Royal Mail tripled the price of shipping to the US (due to covid), making DHL a cost effective option.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Jtook a few days from ordering late at night to being at my door via DHL. I pay the $6.99 extra for tracked shipping every time - seems worth it.
I get tracking every time & never pay the $6.99

I think that is a left over option from pre covid days when they used Royal Mail> USPS (that didn't track unless you paid)

But now with DHL you can save your $6.99 as all shipments are track-able & if you sign up for My DHL (Free) you can alter delivery or check no sig leave it at door etc.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I've had similar delivery times from the UK lately. The reason the UK companies have switched to DHL is because on July 1 Royal Mail tripled the price of shipping to the US (due to covid), making DHL a cost effective option.
This and it’s sooooo slooowwww right now. My mum sent me a birthday card from the U.K. using RM and it took 34 days to get here. A card!

Parcels took even longer.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:15 PM

Wiggle

I'd been eyeing both Chain Reaction and Wiggle for at least a couple years. Prices, selection, you name it. But was always hesitant to order, thought I'd get screwed somehow. Either they wouldn't ship and I'd have a credit card "tussle" with an overseas outfit, have to pay import duty, etc.. But finally bit the dust a couple months ago with Wiggle as they had a couple things I wanted that were just so much cheaper than my favorite USA online sources. Ordered on a Sunday, had everything by Thursday. Couldn't believe it. I did and do spring for the extra $6 for expedited courier delivery but with what you save overall why not. Makes me worry less. So needless to say I'm a convert on at least some stuff depending on price. No sales tax also helps since pretty much all stateside online sellers now have to collect...
Old 07-29-2020, 01:17 PM

i bought my frame from Spain and it was here in 3 business days.
DHL express.
They must have a customs fastlane. Ive had some other DHL that get transferred to USPS once they get to the US. That seems to take forever.

I have some tires from starbike that have taken forever.

Just another Datapoint
Old 07-29-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
I'd been eyeing both Chain Reaction and Wiggle for at least a couple years. Prices, selection, you name it. But was always hesitant to order, thought I'd get screwed somehow. Either they wouldn't ship and I'd have a credit card "tussle" with an overseas outfit, have to pay import duty, etc.. But finally bit the dust a couple months ago with Wiggle as they had a couple things I wanted that were just so much cheaper than my favorite USA online sources. Ordered on a Sunday, had everything by Thursday. Couldn't believe it. I did and do spring for the extra $6 for expedited courier delivery but with what you save overall why not. Makes me worry less. So needless to say I'm a convert on at least some stuff depending on price. No sales tax also helps since pretty much all stateside online sellers now have to collect...
Chain Reaction and Wiggle have always been rock solid. Trust me - I have the buying history to prove it!!! They're a merged entity these days.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:55 AM

I ordered a pair of Bora WTOs yesterday. They were shipped today, also to CA. At this rate, I may have them available for my Saturday ride.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
I have been singing the CRC praises for months now.
Like you I am always amazed I get things from them so very quickly via DHL express

They were fast even before Covid when they used Royal Mail> USPS
But now super quick tracked to your door

Only downside is if you ever return something
They do make it easy using their rebound service & you can stuff multiple orders in one box for $18 but it is sloooooooow
I'm talking 7 weeks slow

But it does get there then they credit your return promptly
This.

Recently ordered a tire & some bibs. Received notification from both CRC and DHL that they were on their way. Arrived a day early. This is pretty typical for them IME. Always been a good experience both shopping (good selection/pricing) and shipping. Return process can drag on a bit, but if you're patient, they do deal with you in a fair, professional manner.

I'll second the notion that they are one of my fav's and recently THE go-to source for my online parts purchases.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:22 AM

Uh oh. Looks like I'm having my first less than stellar shipping experience from the U.K. via DHL.

Was dispatched on Tuesday with a delivery date of Friday. Final destination is Los Angeles. Got stuck in Belgium for a few days. Then made it to Los Angeles yesterday. Then it flew to Cincinnati

Fortunately it's a non-urgent pair of handlebars that were cheaper in the U.K. than anywhere in the U.S. even with shipping. Not Merlin's fault either. Still highly recommend them.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:03 PM

My experience...

I'm 2+ weeks waiting for my UK based package to break from from customs in LA. Royal Mail has it in NYC Customs. USPS says I've followed the right protocol in first asking my local office, then the local Postmaster, then filing an inquiry. No timeline for an update/follow-up.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:20 PM

Same experience, ordered from CRC last week, arrived here on the west coast 5 days later. OTOH, ordered some stuff from east coast that shipped USPS, seller shipped the next day, tracking showed that it was dropped off at local PO, then sat for 3 FULL WEEKS in a pending acceptance state at the next distribution center. Had another order do the same for 1 1/2 weeks. USPS is hurting, not sure how much is COVID, likely some, but also lack of funding. After all we don't want to fund USPS, otherwise we might have an election this fall.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:26 PM

Another lapse in the time-space continuum

Ordered some parts from Taiwan on Tuesday 9:40 a.m. Taiwan time and the original DHL delivery stated this coming Monday the 10th. Seemed right. I get a notice from DHL that they are delivering today! Basically overnight shipping. Unreal.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:21 PM
Too Few Miles

Same here. Ordered parts yesterday. Shipped this moring via DHL for arrival on Monday 10 August! Impressive...