Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Just something about those levers machines...so mechanical.

The search is on...

W.
I beat you to it. I found a cheap la pavoni professional that I think is 220v as a fixer upper because of this thread. Wish me luck lol
Old 07-26-2020, 02:04 PM

We've had our Olympia Cremina for almost 34 years now and it's going strong with only some gasket changes here and there over that time, though I have upgraded the handles and the cap, plus the steam wand. The initial outlay is sorta stratospheric ($3,400 today), but divide that very conveniently over the time span during which we've been using it and you could have some killer espresso for $100/year, so far. It's a big expense that some might call crazy, I admit.

It's very satisfying to get the grind dialed in and then you learn the proper resistance and speed to produce the espresso. They're quite simple and impressively built Swiss machines. The steam wand makes great steamed milk for cappuccino, btw. Temps are stable. You do need a good grinder to work with. Good luck with your search!
Old 07-26-2020, 02:10 PM

There's also the Profitec 800. Dual boiler with PID (thus resolving some of the temperature instability found on La Pavonni machines)

Old 07-26-2020, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I beat you to it. I found a cheap la pavoni professional that I think is 220v as a fixer upper because of this thread. Wish me luck lol
Nice!

Refurbish and ride report please!!

W.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
There's also the Profitec 800. Dual boiler with PID (thus resolving some of the temperature instability found on La Pavonni machines)

I would love to try one of these babies, but alas Mrs William is not a coffee geek like me so unless I found one needing a rebuild (which I like to do actually) it's not in the cards.

"You paid HOW MUCH for a coffee machine?!!?!"

W.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:48 PM

I just inherited this baby from my FIL. Moving in a few weeks so it's going in a box to be moved and then doing a thorough cleaning on it. It's not dirty but I'm obsessed with keeping the internals of things like this clean.

I can't wait till he gets sick of his Kamado Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
You are James Hoffman?

Kidding. Nice set up!
He's copying me, tho his gear is newer...
Old 07-26-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Nice!

Refurbish and ride report please!!

W.
Will do. It might take a while because I’m not sure what I’m going to have to do to it. It appears to be a 1993-1997 professional model missing a couple parts and it has a euro plug which means it is probably 220v. I’m going to wait to get it before I try to order any parts for it. I’ll order what it’s missing, a rebuild kit, and change the element and power plug. It was $300 so hopefully I don’t have to sink too much into it.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:06 PM

Or for $300 you could get the Flair Pro 2 mechanical espresso maker: https://www.flairespresso.com/pro

When you get ready for a real manly coffee, try Turkish coffee, you'll never go back to espresso once you tried that stuff...if you can handle it.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
That's probably the most important component in your set-up. I have a so-so burr grinder and a more expensive machine, but I constantly get uneven extraction and sprays. This actually wasn't an issue a few years ago, but it happens a lot more frequently now. I think for better consistency, I probably need a better grinder.

Which segues into the discussion re: lever machines. One really needs everything as dialed-in and consistent as possible, b/c the manual pulling introduces more variables. So in that regard, you should be set to use lever machines.

I've been wondering about this.. how often we start with so-so grinders and when they get upgraded we don't think about that we're comparing a so-so unit that may have lost consistency due to wear with a brand new more expensive one.

All it takes is a little bit of wear and a tiny amount of wobble in a burr.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:22 AM

Yeah I need to get a real grinder too. Too bad they’re so expensive lol.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I've been wondering about this.. how often we start with so-so grinders and when they get upgraded we don't think about that we're comparing a so-so unit that may have lost consistency due to wear with a brand new more expensive one.

All it takes is a little bit of wear and a tiny amount of wobble in a burr.
You know, that's a good point. Burrs do wear out, after all.

Personally, I just can't be arsed with spending extra money on it, even though new burrs are quite cheap.

Then again, I should still have a ways to go before needing new burrs. Recommended replacement is 500-1000 pounds of coffee beans processed; I'm at maybe 360 pounds (and that's being generous).

Last edited by echappist; 07-27-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:

That is one I also looked at long & hard years ago. I ended up with a profitec regular dbl boiler but at the time I really wanted either this Pro800 or the Bezzera Strega

Watch this video at 6:50 when Jim takes a sip.....Very funny as it looks as if he almost passes out with delight at the flavor of that shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9OU...ature=youtu.be

Also more videos on same machine
https://www.home-barista.com/reviews...ok-t18933.html
Old 07-27-2020, 12:09 PM

I ran a La Pavoni EPC-8 Europiccola daily for about 25 years before changing over last year to a Rocket R58. I honestly had a hard time making the decision to switch as I absolutely loved the La Pavoni.
Few words of wisdom echoed by others.
  1. There is definitely a learning curve w the machine. It takes some time to learn how to grind and tamp "just right" to get a decent shot/crema.
  2. Quality beans make all the difference
  3. You absolutely need a good burr grinder or your espresso will be garbage. I went w a Rancilio Rocky doserless after using a Capresso model for years. The Rancillio made a world of difference.
  4. This is an important one. The La Pavoni is only good for 2 shots and a pitcher of milk. After this the machine and group head are way too hot and you cannot pull another shot even if there is water remaining in the machine. On top of this, it's unsafe to try and open the tank to add more water while it's hot. 2 shots only!
If you're cool w the above, you simply can't beat the full analogue experience w the Europiccola. While it's not for everyone, it is something that you should try at least once if you're any kind of coffee geek.

Last edited by Kentf14; 07-27-2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:18 PM
Administrator

I have a line on a La Pavoni, stay tuned.

In the meantime this just popped up on the local CL. Just posting here because I don't want to start a new thread and it's...ah....different.

AnZa Espresso Machine

W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Espresso 1.jpg (49.7 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Espresso 2.jpg (46.7 KB, 196 views)

Tags
coffee, espresso