Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 11:14 PM

Bike shorts

Looking to get new bike shorts (not bibs). Has anyone tried 7mesh? How does it compare to Q36.5? I have a pair of Ralpha that has not worn very well.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:47 AM

I have tried a few but the ones I wear the most are the Pearl Izumi and Voler. The mid price point level (~$80) works fine for me. Some of Shorts are more than 7 yrs old and till in great shape. I also like their knickers for the spring-fall weather.

Note, I rarely ride more than 50 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2021, 11:59 AM

7mesh shorts

I highly recommend 7mesh shorts. I have several pairs of the first generation (MK1). The Elastic Interface Space Man pad is firm and the most comfortable I've worn. The fabric has less lycra than my other shorts, so they don't stretch as much and getting the right size is important. The fabric also doesn't hold water if I ride in the rain. I'll replace them with MK3 or whatever model is current when they wear out, but the fabric and pad are durable and neither shows much sign of wear after many miles.

I don't wear bibs and cannot compare to Rapha or Q36.5. However, I've owned the top models of different generations of Pearl Izumi, Assos, Specialized, Trek, Louis Garneau, Cannondale, Sugoi, and Giordana shorts, and still wear some of these on the mountain bike, but I always use 7mesh for the road bike.