Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2021, 11:54 AM
what's a little rust?

re A-rod, this probably reveals all sorts of bias (and not for the Yankees) but he was heading for the Hall and the all-time discussion anyway, as a slender shortstop, until personnel decisions were handed over to Jeter.

I also care much less about doping in baseball than doping in cycling. Maybe that's because my attention peaked between 1990-2000 and it was abundantly clear that baseball didn't care.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
ALL professional sports worldwide are dirty..name ONE that hasn't had some sort of doping scandal...
Professional tennis has had no real doping scandals, just a handful of suspensions, and several of those were for recreational drugs.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Professional tennis has had no real doping scandals, just a handful of suspensions, and several of those were for recreational drugs.
Professional football has no real doping scandals because players dope, the penalties are small, and fans don't care.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
re A-rod, this probably reveals all sorts of bias (and not for the Yankees) but he was heading for the Hall and the all-time discussion anyway, as a slender shortstop, until personnel decisions were handed over to Jeter.

I also care much less about doping in baseball than doping in cycling. Maybe that's because my attention peaked between 1990-2000 and it was abundantly clear that baseball didn't care.
The year my love affair with baseball ended: The Most Random Great Season in Baseball History – Brady Anderson’s 1996 Campaign

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thelock...-campaign/amp/
Old 01-27-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
The year my love affair with baseball ended: The Most Random Great Season in Baseball History – Brady Anderson’s 1996 Campaign

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thelock...-campaign/amp/
That season’s as random as Luis Gonzalez and Bret Boone also gaining 25+lbs of lean muscle in a single offseason then upping their home run output by 200%

Also there’s plenty of other seasons which also fit the bill, but those are the most obvious off the top.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:37 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
EDIT/P.S.: If Schilling ever gets in, I hope that the entire audience either walks out or turns their backs to him during his speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
Is that because of what he did on the field of play?
Yes.

I think you may be implying that I'm being hypocritical (apologies if I read you wrong), but I don't think so. If the voters decide he merits inclusion on his on-field achievements, so be it, but the speech presents an opportunity to reflect on his character. Of which he has none.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:58 PM

It's not just about records and stats.

BBWAA Rules for Election:

5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Gambling - that's the new tennis frontier, specifically womens' tennis. I think that's going to be a bigger existential threat to pro sports in the future than doping.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:28 PM

Barry Bonds numbers and all around play pre-steroids still make him one of the five best post-war outfielders, so he should be a shoe in on that 86-98-ish period before he really started to swell up and hit the juice.

Rose shouldn't be in for the simple fact every clubhouse has had a sign on the wall for nigh on a 70 years at that point not to bet on baseball games. And he bet on baseball games. If you can exclude on character, then also excluding for being dumb as a rock seems to count too.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

ALL professional sports worldwide are dirty..name ONE that hasn't had some sort of doping scandal....

disc golf (unless you count weed)