Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 02:17 PM

TIME VXRS technical information?

So I'm the guy that snagged the bargain VXRS from VirtualElvis.

Because Group Rossignol has taken over and is rebuilding the International web site, I can find no technical documentation available--unless my Google-foo is failing me. (Tried some obvious addresses to see if there was an FTP site running at https://www.time-sport.com/fr/ --which seems to be more or less still intact--no joy, no literature...)

Anyone have *.pdfs of the 'Owner's Manual' or equivalent? Or Time's headset and/or seatpost directions?

I'm probably fine without it--but I am one of those guys that reads directions--more so as I get farther from my experience with steel frames and Nuovo Record.

Last edited by paredown; 01-26-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:49 PM

I don’t know of an online resource. I will look to see if I can find my literature to copy. The headset and seatpost are both pretty straightforward even if they are a little quirky. The headset doesn’t adjust as other thread less headsets do....The top piece threads onto a threaded fitting fixed to the outside of the steerer and it is adjusted by turning it clockwise to tighten and the reverse to loosen via two pins that can be inserted into holes provided around the perimeter of the cup. DO NOT abuse an undersized makeshift fir this as it will distort and ruin the holes. The seatpost is of an integrated design and clamping is accomplished with a two bolt clamp. The bottom bolt fixes the clamp to the seat tube and the top bolt is loosened to allow adjustment. The seatpost is made of very thin carbon not designed for very much extension above the seat tube maybe 3 - 4 cm maximum. If you need more extension, it is best to replace the inner part with a standard seatpost, which is easy as it is 27.2 mm in diameter. Congratulations as the VXRS was one of the best riding / performing bikes of all time and they were made to a very high standard of quality.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I don’t know of an online resource. I will look to see if I can find my literature to copy. The headset and seatpost are both pretty straightforward even if they are a little quirky. The headset doesn’t adjust as other thread less headsets do....The top piece threads onto a threaded fitting fixed to the outside of the steerer and it is adjusted by turning it clockwise to tighten and the reverse to loosen via two pins that can be inserted into holes provided around the perimeter of the cup. DO NOT abuse an undersized makeshift fir this as it will distort and ruin the holes. The seatpost is of an integrated design and clamping is accomplished with a two bolt clamp. The bottom bolt fixes the clamp to the seat tube and the top bolt is loosened to allow adjustment. The seatpost is made of very thin carbon not designed for very much extension above the seat tube maybe 3 - 4 cm maximum. If you need more extension, it is best to replace the inner part with a standard seatpost, which is easy as it is 27.2 mm in diameter. Congratulations as the VXRS was one of the best riding / performing bikes of all time and they were made to a very high standard of quality.
Thanks!

It does have the original seatpost clamp and I found a good picture of the seatpost on an eBay ad that showed 'MAX Sortie' with the line still on--this one has a faint memory of the line, but I can see from the picture that (as you say) the allowable extension was not very much. Seat mast on this one has been cut @69cm--and if I get about the same fit as on my Look, the seat rails would be @ 74/75cm which should still be inside the 'MAX Sortie' height.

Did not get the headset adjustment pins--but it seems fine for smoothness. I'll wait until I get a stem to try to see where I'm at before I worry about that.

If it is not too much trouble--scans would be much appreciated.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:52 PM
Deconditioned!

I think the headset design on these bikes (not sure if it's on all Time bikes) is simple and brilliant. All bikes should have it. So damn easy.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:45 PM
but not really

I saw that frameset for sale. It's unrideable. Send it to me to dispose of please.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:48 PM

If I recall, you can use a 3mm hex key as a stand in for the headset pin adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2021, 10:08 PM

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...6801&mode=view

might help

not sure of year or model

YMMV
Old 01-28-2021, 03:27 AM

Use the Way Back Machine and have a look through previous times the website has been indexed
Old 01-28-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
might help

not sure of year or model

YMMV
Perfect, thanks!--saved as a *pdf if the topic comes up again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan View Post
Use the Way Back Machine and have a look through previous times the website has been indexed
You would think I would have thought of this--I'll give it a try!