Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
But I still prefer standard cable for sports, for one reason - cable programs can be recorded on a DVR, which brings many viewing features and benefits not available (or at least not yet available) on streaming.
It's as easy to record streaming content as cable content. One way - all sorts of streaming services available today offer cloud DVR services. For example, Sling TV offers cloud DVR (10 hours free, 50 hours/$5) for any of the channels streamed through Sling. And the advantage for me is that the cloud storage allows you to play back on any TV or other device (even phone or tablet) anywhere you are, not just the device physically connected to a hard DVR.

And all of my Roku TVs, while not offering full DVR via Roku (but, again, see above for streaming cloud DVR), provide live TV pause/playback. I can pause/record/rewind/ff up to 90 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
But the overall user experience of selecting an channel and just watching is qualitatively superior on cable, versus hunting for and managing multiple providers and streams.
I don't know . . . our Roku TVs make "hunting" extremely easy, and better (IMO). Using the Roku search function, I only have to search in one place across all of my services for a show/movie/whatever and it almost instantly shows me all of my viewing options. For example, I'll search for movie "XYZ" and Roku will tell me that it is available on Disney+ for $2.99, Hulu for $4.99, Prime for Free, and Peacock for Free. So, not only does it find what I want to watch, but it tells me the least expensive option, instantly, and then I select it with one click. Even my 6-year-old uses this function on his own. It will even tell you if what you are searching for is scheduled on over-the-air antenna TV. And you can save the search and any updated results will appear in a feed. So, for example, when an upcoming movie you want to watch is released, you'll be directed to where it is available.

Last edited by ORMojo; 01-24-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMojo View Post
All sorts of streaming services available today offer cloud DVR services. For example, Sling TV offers cloud DVR (10 hours free, 50 hours/$5) for any of the channels streamed through Sling. And the advantage for me is that the cloud storage allows you to play back on any TV in the house or other device (even phone or tablet), not just the device physically connected to a hard DVR.
A "Cloud DVR" like Sling's is a poor substitute for a physical DVR. Firstly, the DVR is only active as long as you keep paying monthly fees, vs, permanently if you own the storage device. Secondly, and to me more importantly, the latency of these services prevents using the "Trick Play" features of a local DVR, such as Slo-Mo, variable speed play, etc.

Also, many physical DVRs (like Tivo) provide the same ability to playback remotely as a "Cloud DVR". With a Tivo, you can not only play back on any TV in the house (or on a phone or tablet), but also anywhere else you have access to to the internet. (Note: you only get the "Trick Play" features when connected on the same sub-net as the physical Tivo - when you are accessing it remotely, the viewing experience is just like any other "Cloud VCR").
Old 01-23-2021, 04:36 PM

I have a smart TV and a Roku. The Roku has the NBC Sports app, which has worked great.

Honestly, I watch the Tour and other cycling races live or immediately replayed at work while working. My wife doesn't want to see 21 night of cycling in 23 days.

That aside, the main reason that we keep DirecTV is that it's easy and bundeled with our internet. Plus, the DirecTV login enables a lot of the Roku/Smart TV apps to work without buying a bunch of individual services.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:59 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadrian View Post
My wife doesn't want to see 21 night of cycling in 23 days.

Wait ... WHAT???
Old 01-23-2021, 06:12 PM

I also watch the tour on ITV app on my AppleTV and ExpressVPN. I Could watch in the French by downloaded the French
sport app
Old 01-23-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
A "Cloud DVR" like Sling's is a poor substitute for a physical DVR.
I wasn't trying to comment on the relative quality, only trying to point out that DVR functionality is available built-in on streaming services, so you can record streamed/cable content without a physical DVR. I'm well aware of the differences - we do also have a physical DVR.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
With a Tivo, you can not only play back on any TV in the house (or on a phone or tablet), but also anywhere else you have access to to the internet.
And someplaces you shouldn't.

I use the TiVo app on my phone to "watch" MSNBC while I'm driving. I don't actually watch, I just listen. And now that there's less minute to minute "must-know" news (phew!), I'll probably stop doing that and go back to podcast consumption.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-24-2021, 04:18 PM

Seems we have some retro grouches here.

I don’t think you can argue with the fact that streaming is the future. Probably more older people using cable so cable will continue to lose market share.

Ev is becoming less of a cost saver though as consumers use an increasin number of streaming services. Lots of free deals to try to suck you in. I recently moved and new internet service, TVs and iPhone gave me HBO MAX, Hulu and Apple TV+.

With wireless internet I am getting 400 to 500 MBps up and down.

I currently have YouTube TV which has unlimited DVR and I don’t need to save anything very long. I really only watch football so I will probably cancel soon. I have wiring for an antenna in every room so might add an antenna.

This weekend my internet is down so I hooked up a cheap antenna to watch the NFL today.

I will probably cance Netflix for 6 months or so since I have so much else to watch.

I need to cancel my NBC Sports automatic renewal also.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2021, 03:55 AM
slower than you

This thread inspired me to check out Peacock. I found out right away that I get it for free because my cable provider is Comcast, owner of NBC. So, another app to deal with. I go in there, and check out what sort of sports they provide. The Tour recaps from last year are there in edited versions each stage, but, the quality is pretty meh. There is a one stop summary of last year's Vuelta, haven't seen that one. But, the interesting part is world cup skiing from Europe right now. There are a few very recent races available, and they are the edited feeds from the Austrian and French providers with fake crowd noise and no commentary, which is weird, but, pretty cool to watch without that constant chatter. Maybe this is a Covid issue, because last year's Vuelts had a few chunks without commentary, too, which I guess was a result of just getting the logistics figured out with people trying to do this thousands of miles apart. I'm guessing a work in progress, and will improve like a lot of other things as we all get vaccinated.

I agree with the DVR, or lack of, issue. I hope that, during the tour, Peacock keeps every stage available to watch in their cloud until a certain time. We'll see. Do they have a cloud DVR service available?
Old 01-27-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
But, the interesting part is world cup skiing from Europe right now. There are a few very recent races available, and they are the edited feeds from the Austrian and French providers with fake crowd noise and no commentary, which is weird, but, pretty cool to watch without that constant chatter.
I think the way this works is that NBC Sports buys rights to a whole package of sport events (such as World Cup Alpine Skiing or Biathlon), which entitles them to the raw video feeds from those they events. They then decide which they want to show on their broadcast (cable) network, and add their own commentary to that feed. For the ones they don't broadcast, they just put the raw feed on Peacock.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
My wife doesn't want to see 21 night of cycling in 23 days.
Answer. Two home theater rooms.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
This thread inspired me to check out Peacock. I found out right away that I get it for free because my cable provider is Comcast, owner of NBC. So, another app to deal with. I go in there, and check out what sort of sports they provide. The Tour recaps from last year are there in edited versions each stage, but, the quality is pretty meh. There is a one stop summary of last year's Vuelta, haven't seen that one. But, the interesting part is world cup skiing from Europe right now. There are a few very recent races available, and they are the edited feeds from the Austrian and French providers with fake crowd noise and no commentary, which is weird, but, pretty cool to watch without that constant chatter. Maybe this is a Covid issue, because last year's Vuelts had a few chunks without commentary, too, which I guess was a result of just getting the logistics figured out with people trying to do this thousands of miles apart. I'm guessing a work in progress, and will improve like a lot of other things as we all get vaccinated.

I agree with the DVR, or lack of, issue. I hope that, during the tour, Peacock keeps every stage available to watch in their cloud until a certain time. We'll see. Do they have a cloud DVR service available?
No, they don't have a cloud dvr, which is annoying because it is a stand alone app rather than a "channel". If they treated it like nbcsn, and it was a
"channel" for xfinity, the xfinity cloud dvr I pay for would work. It may be that the set top box will allow that, but the only thing I use is the xfinity app (because its available wifi with roku, and the box requires a cable connection).
Old 04-21-2021, 03:26 PM

I subscribed to GCN+ when they had the half price offer. I also tried one month of Express VPN. I can't believe how easy it is... it just works.

I've not found out quite how to get it on a TV without using an HDMI cable on a laptop, butI can sit here on my work computer with my iPad next to me playing a race.

Pretty great!
Old 04-21-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I subscribed to GCN+ when they had the half price offer. I also tried one month of Express VPN. I can't believe how easy it is... it just works.

I've not found out quite how to get it on a TV without using an HDMI cable on a laptop, butI can sit here on my work computer with my iPad next to me playing a race.

Pretty great!
Easy, sorta: you will need a compatible router and VPN provider that makes an app/script that works with that router.

In the router, configure the internal IP address for the device to use the VPN.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Although their Roku App is still Vaporware, there is a GCN App for the Amazon Fire TV. You can can get a refurbished Fire TV stick (including bluetooth remote) for $29.