Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 05:44 PM

I really like what GCN race pass is doing, but the content for the USA SUUUUUUCKS. Well, it's good, but it has none of the bigger races because they're already licensed to the major US networks.

I want what I'm sure everyone wants; one subscription, all races. Or, just give me full Eurosport on my DirecTV.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:53 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadrian View Post
Or, just give me full Eurosport on my DirecTV.
I would switch to DirecTV just for this!
Old 01-22-2021, 07:29 PM
Embracing my

Looking even further in the future....I think there is a post-streaming world where consumers grow disenchanted with having to piece together multiple services with price tags approaching what they paid for cable in the first place.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I want to watch television on my tv, and do computing stuff on my computer. I really don't want to have to stream stuff to my tv...it just doesn't work as well, it's more cumbersome, it's yet another subscription bill, yadda yadda.

Guess I'll be stuck with reruns of the Honeymooners and Jerry Seinfeld.
Only need a “smart” TV and decent wireless internet. We just sold our house, downsizing, rented an apartment in high rise. Rid ourselves from Direct TV and cable, stream everything through Apple TV, (not required, provides more apps) It works quite well, so far very pleased.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:13 AM

Check out channels

https://getchannels.com/features/
Old 01-23-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laupsi View Post
Agreed, TV subscriptions are going to stream based packages. You’ll be able to bundle various networks w/the local stations as a base. The days of Cable,Direct TV, etc are numbered.
The only reason DTV is in business is the NFLTicket. I'd dump them yesterday if I had reasonable, non-pirated options.
I had to watch one NFL game streamed to my TV this season. Did not like. Looked wrong. Flat. Can't explain exactly what the difference was, but it just didn't look crisp.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:40 AM

Cycling video

I'd be happy to pay a reasonable amt for:

All grand tours
All classic road races
All CX racing including UCI races
All UCI races incl track

I doubt that anyone could put together this package without a miracle but it would be fun. Unfortunately ASO holds a lot of cards and they don't see the value of having a cycling channel w all content. We are kind of screwed in the US as broadcast rights are split so you need multiple subscriptions which consumers don't like.

Alan
Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 AM
Meh

Maybe this will fix the silly situation with mountain bike racing on RedBull TV, where you can watch the XCO and DH races all season but then the world championships get blacked out for USA only because reasons.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
...We are kind of screwed in the US as broadcast rights are split so you need multiple subscriptions...
I've been doing the streaming thing for the last couple of years and I kind of dug that I could subscribe to get most of the cycling content I wanted without a lot of extra fluff. The replays on demand (as long as they stay available) is pretty great, actually. The $'s added up but it wasn't too bad. The cycling coverage availability landscape is changing fast but I guess you just cancel one subscription and start a new one.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:01 AM

I know there are all kinds of issues and limitations with standard cable broadcasts, which is part of what is leading people to move to streaming services. But I still prefer standard cable for sports, for one reason - cable programs can be recorded on a DVR, which brings many viewing features and benefits not available (or at least not yet available) on streaming. With video recorded on its local hard drive, A Tivo DVR can provide various "Trick play" features. For example, it has variable speed play in both forward and reverse, including frame-by-frame advance. Did a particular play happen so fast you weren't sure what really happened? You can instantly go back and watch it again in slo-mo, or even analyze it frame by frame. Is there a long boring stretch in a race where nothing much is happening? You can watch it at 1.5x speed with full audio, or watch it at 3x, 6x or 20x speed until something happens (at which point you can skip back a few seconds to the start of the something interesting and watch it regular speed). And if there's a particularly significant event or program you want to keep, it will remain indefinitely on your hard drive, available even if you can your cable subscription.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:25 PM

My Fios contract just ended, so glad to be rid of it. I will keep my internet connection going. Time to figure out what cycling package to go with now. NBC Sports wasn't anything special, especially Tour coverage. That didn't change in years, even going back to OLN days. You know 10 minutes of coverage, 5 minutes of commercials on repeat mode on an endless loop.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
But I still prefer standard cable for sports, for one reason - cable programs can be recorded on a DVR, which brings many viewing features and benefits not available (or at least not yet available) on streaming.
Same with me. I seldom watch any program that is not recorded on my Comcast DVR.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmike View Post
Same with me. I seldom watch any program that is not recorded on my Comcast DVR.
That.

I almost never watch in realtime. TiVo is one of my favorite devices...probably saves me from watching a full hour of commercials for a night of viewing.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-23-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laupsi View Post
Only need a “smart” TV and decent wireless internet.

I don't *want* a smart tv. Happens that one of ours is one, but I haven't enabled it. It's a rich source of data for profiling, with less control than is available on a computer.

I do have a Mac Mini attached to that tv, through the AV receiver. But the overall user experience of selecting a channel and just watching is qualitatively superior on cable (and eve better via TiVo menuing system), versus hunting for and managing multiple providers and streams. Maybe I'm a luddite in this regard...normally I'm an early adopter (I was building and hosting websites on a home server via ISDN in 1996!)

I really don't want to have to *work* for my entertainment. More distribution channels means more complexity. Not looking for that at this point... I think the cable companies have lost the recipe on this...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 01-23-2021 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadrian View Post
I really like what GCN race pass is doing, but the content for the USA SUUUUUUCKS. Well, it's good, but it has none of the bigger races because they're already licensed to the major US networks.

I want what I'm sure everyone wants; one subscription, all races. Or, just give me full Eurosport on my DirecTV.

A VPN does wonders I use ExpressVPN
with the race pass watch everything.