Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2021, 01:15 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
You can’t go wrong with an S2000. Low mileage ones are less than $30k. Or buy a similar Miata for 1/2 that.
s2000 will continue to appreciate though, the mazda won't
Old 01-10-2021, 01:16 PM

Im not so intune with the us market but if u want italian a maserati ghibli the 2nd version from 92-97 is a great driving and looking car imo. With a bit of luck it could be an okay investment.

Downside is they are not easy to source parts for so dont really meet that criteria. Maseratis can be expensive to keep on the road but these are not terrible in this regard (says the guy who spent a lot on his in the 3 years ive had it but i knew of some issues when i bought it).

Love mine and you wont pass another on the road.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:19 PM

Miatas are good cars. Used to have an NA. That said if one is able to spend in the 15k range and is willing to put in some work, there are more interesting options that will appreciate in value and be faster. If you want something inexpensive that you rarely have to work on then a Miata is a good choice. The newer miatas are really nice cars but I would argue that they’re refined to the point of being boring. I think a 70’s Italian car is on the extreme end of character but there are some Japanese and German cars that are sort of old that are really interesting. Depending on your emissions situation it might be worth looking into importing a car like a skyline or maybe something older.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:45 PM

You could try one of these. Or any other reputable Superseven.

RE: this one. WCM Ultralite S2K. S2000 drivetrain, 240 hp for 1,3xx lbs. Needs some finesse driving, registration can be a hassle, but at $20-$25k, they're difficult to beat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ultralite - small.jpg (62.6 KB, 268 views)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:53 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
lotus elise.
Just get a Caterham.

Edit: ha, somebody just beat me to it. Go kart. 1000 pounds. Yeeha.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:28 PM

Had a 71 Volvo P1800 for about 8 years from 88 to 96. It was reliable and a daily driver, once I fixed the exhaust manifold bolts constantly vibrating loose. It only failed me once when I first drove it from LA to SF when we bought it, and the centrifugal advance on the distributor stuck fully advanced so it it was fine on the freeway, but once I stopped did not have enough power to make it up the offramp. Fortunately I was a block from home.

However, like many older cars it always smelled of gas in the trunk and to be honest it drove like a small pickup of a similar vintage, not surprising as the suspension was not all the different. It sure looked good though. Manual steering was a bit of work for my wife, but not as bad as other manual steering cars I had over the years.

These days I would just buy a Miata to be practical, though I have always wanted a Caterham, I do not really want to deal with one. I also appreciate modern safety more as I get older.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:26 PM

Realistically it’s got to be a car from the 90’s- which is the absolute sweet spot for cars because it’s when they had become safe enough, reliable enough, made good power, had A/C worthy of the name, decent brakes and you are often a head unit change away from Bluetooth streaming music etc. Etc.

Crucially (from a driving perspective) cars from this period were also still largely analogue devices. My 911 has primitive traction control, which can be turned off completely, a mechanical limited slip diff and ABS. It’s also got a physical cable that connects the throttle pedal to the throttle plate.

My 2015 E63 Wagon is, in many ways, light years ahead of the 911- it’s got almost double the power for a start. Absolutely no question which is more fun to drive though.

Get something from the ~90’s and spend your time don’t projects you want to do on the car, rather than maintenance that you have to do, and driving it without worrying that you’ll be coming home in a recovery truck.

Last edited by Neil; 01-10-2021 at 03:27 PM. Reason: iPhone predictive text.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
James, have you driven a normally aspirated 944? It'll make you long for a 951-had one for a long time as a family hand me down, and while it was very well built it was very underpowered. But they do look great.
The stock 944 though is not much different than most of the older cars in this thread--it is (as the boys on the Porsche forum are fond of saying) a "momentum car"--as is the Miata, Alfa, anything British (Sprite/MGB?Triumph etc) and even those legendary 2002 Tiis that I would have given my left nut for back in the day.

Yet lots of enthusiasts are still reworking stock 944s (and even pre- 1985.5 when the switch out of some of the Audi parts happened)--and some prefer them over the turbo, that had its own problems with drivability--so I think a later 944 or 968 would be a great weekend car, given you could find one in good condition. (I bought a 944 that was not--and that was not an experience I would care to repeat!)

The problem--as many people have put their finger on--buy old, you get under-engineered and under performing, buy newer, you get better engineering AND more complexity.

In the former case, you may end up cursing the day when you bought your 944 only to find out that old school engine management systems (not to mention timing belts) suck--same with Alfas with SPICA injection, or the newer Affa 16v timing belts--hell even tuning twin carb Alfas was no picnic, although we got my dad to do them back in the day, because he could do it by ear...

Buy newer, like a Boxster/Cayman and worry about IMS bearing failure--or try to imagine doing that upgrade by yourself?--wowza! That's a world of complexity right there--and if you pay to have it done it will break your heart. (Boxster rollers with dead motors have a street value of about $2k...)

One thing I will say about 944s (and similar generation German cars)--they were on average really well built--944s had galvanized bodies and even older ones are no where near rusted as bad as a typical Alfa. That said, as the red-headed step child of the Porsche world, most of them were treated like crap, so finding one that has been well maintained is pretty hard.

As everyone who has been down this road (or down it more than once)--get clear what you want, drive a bunch and then buy the best example you can afford--and yes, it will cost you a lot more than you expected but will he cheaper in the long run.

The good cars are out there--but you really have to look a lot. I found only one 944 that I would have bought (2 years ago when I was looking hard)--it was a one owner, low mileage, owned by a former PCA member, being sold by the owner's son. Mom and dad had aged out of driving in a low-slung car. It was an immaculate 944S, and even came with an extra pair of seats--because they used plain 944 seats for everyday, to save the Sports seats from wearing so they could do concours events! And it was not that expensive--~$13,000

If I got serious again, I would be looking at a early Boxster--because they are now cheaper on average than a good 944!

Last edited by paredown; 01-10-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:44 PM

Miata

Gotta go with the crowd on this. Most fun for the $. If you get a nice NA or NB, you can get any part/upgrade on eBay and tinker ‘til your heart’s content. You can get a newer version and just drive it.

I had an ‘89 NA that I put back to original and had fun. After a back injury, I decided to get a BMW Z4 and enjoy longer drives and vacay trips. It’s not a car to tinker with, but it’s also pretty bulletproof.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:01 PM

safe or old?

Two choices really.
A modern car will help you survive an accident and an older car will arguably have more character and more chances for you to tinker.

Sounds like you are primarily looking for the later and you like two seaters.
I love Japanese sports cars and if I had my dithers it would be a Datsun Z car everyday of the week.

4 speed manual to keep your engaged in the driving experience, huge engine bay with a straight six that is easy to access and even if you aren't flogging it as it was designed to be you will still have a huge smile on your dial with a roof over your head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (70.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 01-10-2021, 06:02 PM

Classic Mini

http://www.bmh-ltd.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz_onkVnZWI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGr-I_hDSjA

Last edited by eddief; 01-10-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:06 PM

If I were in the market I’d be looking at a Z4 M aka M roadster. One with under 50,000 miles can be had in the $25k range. Iconic motor, hydraulic steering and not overly digitized.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:21 PM

The overwhelming suggestion is obviously the Miata. I’ve done a LITTLE investigating and they are amazingly good values and plentiful. Not too surprising as the Guinness Book of Records listed the Miata as the best selling two seat sports car in history.

The Lotus Elise is, I believe, one of the most beautiful production sports cars currently made.

The Porsche Cayman is starting to edge up to the top. With that said, I would have never put Corvettes in the category of a reasonably priced sports car. I am able to do a decent amount of mechanical stuff having rebuilt a number of BMW Airheads. I currently have a 2012 BMW R1200R and a ‘83 R80G/S. The R1200R is light years ahead of the R80 in every way possible yet I always seem to smile more when I’m on the R80.

And for whatever reason, I’ve always been a fan of the GT style. Growing up the Shelby Daytona’s where one of my favorite cars, probably why I like the Opel GT so much and always wanted a MGB-GT. And probably why I’m leaning towards a Cayman. Although a 944 was also suggested.

Much sage advice. Many ways to go.

One more question. Some have mentioned how certain cars are appreciating and how even certain model year vs others are gaining in value. I’ve never thought of this venture as also a ways of breaking even or not losing too much when I go to sell “X”. But with that said, I know that my R80G/S will appreciate in value while the R1200R will only depreciate. So, are there any fun, reasonably priced European sports cars (sorry Miata fans) that are potential up and comers? A roll of the dice I know but seeing how the markets been of late seems foolish not to include resale value as a factor...lower down on the list.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:28 PM
Forward the Foundation

My favorite English roadster is the Miata.

By fun do you mean, fun to drive or fun to fiddle with endlessly ?

If you mean the latter, a Triumph TR-4 is a good answer.
Awesome tractor motor, easily fixed with hammer & spanner.
Plus you get to buy a large assortment of King Dick tools.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:32 PM

I'm with ya on this. Had an '83 R80ST (the "street scrambler" version of your G/S, 19 inch front wheel instead of the 21 incher). Loved that bike. Eventually ended up with a Suzuki SV650 instead, but if I was in the market again, I might be looking for the R80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Snip I currently have a 2012 BMW R1200R and a ‘83 R80G/S. The R1200R is light years ahead of the R80 in every way possible yet I always seem to smile more when I’m on the R80.