Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2021, 08:41 AM

Mazda Miata is the way, as others have mentioned. New or used, there are many out there and when cared for, are very reliable. I had one for a few years and hope to own another someday.

Another alternative if you're looking for something more powerful is a Chevrolet Corvette. I'm not kidding. Lots of bang for the buck.

I get the appeal of the European cars and I dream of a Porsche one day. But if you're on a budget I'd probably go in a different direction.

This is my old Miata, a first year model which was totally underpowered, especially with the top down and the bike on the back, but was a blast to drive at all times. Everything the car had when it was new still worked, including the heat, AC, flip up headlights, etc. Honestly, I sort of wish I still had it but the circumstances at the time sort of forced the sale.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:43 AM

No BMW Z3 mentioned yet? A Miata would be your safest purchase, as others have mentioned.

Upper budget can still get you an MCoupe. Lower budget should cover pretty much all the rest.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
?? Gotta be a '6'...
That would be nice. Don't think you can get a decent 6 for that price any more.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
No BMW Z3 mentioned yet? A Miata would be your safest purchase, as others have mentioned.

Upper budget can still get you an MCoupe. Lower budget should cover pretty much all the rest.
sister had a z3 for a time and they are alot of fun. maintenance would be my concern.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
sister had a z3 for a time and they are alot of fun. maintenance would be my concern.
I've had mine for 17 years now. Nothing other than regular maintenance, wear and tear repairs.

Not that I would, but could also sell it for more than I paid.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:06 AM

Drive an Audi RS3 and you will include that in your short list. My daily driver is an S3 and I love it.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:17 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Not Euro but there is only one answer...Miata!

Tim
Yes, correct.

Very affordable, a ton of fun, super reliable, and a big aftermarket and club scene that brings parts and expertise.

My girlfriend owns one that just sorta died at 160,000 miles, and she barely changed the oil after driving it year round (safety alert: do not drive that thing in the snow!). As a person of a certain age who remembers how hard it was to maintain a new MGB or anything British in the 60s-70s, I was always amazed at how low maintenance that car was, proportional to the fun factor it delivered, stock. She's shopping for another one in the 10,000 dollar range, mid aughts model, low mileage, and they are out there.
When I see people struggling with old sports cars they bought and fixed up, I just shake my head. The Miata is such a simple solution.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:26 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Another alternative if you're looking for something more powerful is a Chevrolet Corvette. I'm not kidding. Lots of bang for the buck.

The new Corvette is an awesome value at 60 grand. Still not fond of the styling, but it can easily go head to head with much more expensive Euro cars in tech and performance. I'm too lazy to search, but, look for Jay Leno's youtube episode with the head engineer of Corvette when it was first introduced. Very impressive.

Seasucker markets a very cool rear trunk mounted rack for bicycles that I saw on a Miata, carrying a Calnago. It's really expensive, though, but, you don't have all that weight hanging off the back of the car, at least. That really has to mess with the handling.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:28 AM

Another plus on the Miata - that trunk is larger than you think. You're not carrying large suitcases or TVs ever but it will suffice for a road trip for two with soft bags and as long as you're only making light grocery trips, you'll be surprised at what you can carry if you're realistic.

I drove it to the airport all the time with my roll aboard suitcase, flight case and a duffel bag with plenty of room to spare.

Additionally, the cabin is not claustrophobic. It's not spacious but it's extremely efficient. The ergonomics are excellent. The only caveat is that it doesn't work well if you're over 6' tall because your sightline will be blocked by the top of the windshield.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:34 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Another plus on the Miata - that trunk is larger than you think. You're not carrying large suitcases or TVs ever but it will suffice for a road trip for two with soft bags and as long as you're only making light grocery trips, you'll be surprised at what you can carry if you're realistic.

I drove it to the airport all the time with my roll aboard suitcase, flight case and a duffel bag with plenty of room to spare.

Additionally, the cabin is not claustrophobic. It's not spacious but it's extremely efficient. The ergonomics are excellent. The only caveat is that it doesn't work well if you're over 6' tall because your sightline will be blocked by the top of the windshield.
Ha, yeah, always had to wear a warm cap on 50ish degree days when driving. The forehead and top of my head would freeze.

I would get a trunk mounted luggage rack if I owned one, to expand carrying capacity, but, I'll just mooch off of her fun car budget and keep my mouth shut.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:34 AM
Administrator

saab what bike rack is that? i've been looking for something just like that with fork mount?
Old 01-10-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
saab what bike rack is that? i've been looking for something just like that with fork mount?
I don’t remember. It looked like a custom and used a small hitch mount. 1” or 1.25”. Today if I did the same thing I’d go with the 1UP-USA single bike rack.

I bought mine from a cyclist.... he sold the rack with it. He’s a friend of mine and today organizes many events, including Barry-Roubaix, which I believe he founded and owns.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:08 AM

I'd go Miyata or if you had the money S2000.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:17 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Ranking the three cars mentioned for practicality, I would say Volvo 1800, Opel, Sprite.

The Volvo has been a desirable car for decades and there should be lots of cars to choose from and a good parts supply. Those cars started life with the old Volvo high standard of function and reliability. I had sedan and wagon versions of that era and they were pretty tough cars.

The Opel is pretty cool looking and was actually a very good car back in its day. Parts became a problem a long time ago. I had a coupe version of this car and it was pretty great. Sort of an inexpensive BMW 2002. Actually in some ways better than a 2002 because of easy and relatively cheap parts until GM pulled the plug on them. The 2002 is a legendary car but parts back in the day were obscenely priced. I suspect its no better now. The Opel GT is small and a bit cramped.

The Sprite is absolutely the most pure sports car of the bunch. But, if you are 6 feet or taller you may not be able to get in the car. They are small. I wanted one so badly but almost could not get in one even with the top down. Speaking of which the only way you’d ever want to drive one is with the top down, isn’t it?

If you really want the full on vintage sports car experience, look for a Fiat 124 Spyder or an Alfa Romeo. It’ll be like heaven or hell for you. You better like having dirty hands.
I owned a Midget. LOTS of legroom in that wheelwell. My car ran like a top, but had the expected electrical issues. For a while there, I had to hold the high beams on manually to have any headlights.

...and that was in the 80s! They're likely to be in 'more interesting' shape now.

If I were looking for something today with lots of aftermarket goodies to 'play with' I'd seriously look at a Miata. It's basically the British sports convertible that's reliable enough to drive every day.

M
Old 01-10-2021, 10:35 AM

Get an s2000 or e30 325is before they get too expensive to afford