Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngroup View Post
Thanks! Yes, I was fortunate to find an excellent deal on a 993 with 50k original miles. I don’t have the space to keep both.
Cool and congrats on the 993! Even though your T isn't an earlier SWB car, it and the 993 can really be seen as bookends to the air-cooled 911s. Great comparative experience to have both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I've wanted a 993 for a long time, but its a really an entirely different car than your longhood. I can understand selling the longhood though, as the market now is just totally insane. It is a stunning car. I watch BAT compulsively, lol.
I sold off my last two air-cooled cars in early 2019 thinking that was the peak of the market. That was dumb. And yes, BaT is addictive!

Texbike
Old 01-27-2021, 04:16 PM

Yeah, I think the 1970 and the 993 definitely bookend the air cooled 911 story. Personally, I’d opt for a 912 in the SWB models instead. It’s certainly an interesting juxtaposition to drive both back to back. The lineage is clear even though the driving experience is totally different. And yes, BaT is definitely addictive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Cool and congrats on the 993! Even though your T isn't an earlier SWB car, it and the 993 can really be seen as bookends to the air-cooled 911s. Great comparative experience to have both!

I sold off my last two air-cooled cars in early 2019 thinking that was the peak of the market. That was dumb. And yes, BaT is addictive!

Texbike
Old 01-27-2021, 04:43 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Watch Ronald Finger on youtube, total garage restoration of a Fiero. Really good

Chairman of my dept at school was the head of design of the Fiero. Innovative ideas but GM being GM, the car never got really good until the last years of the product.
Formula Fiero is a great representation of the nameplate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinkozmo View Post
9 pages and no mention of the pontaic fiero ????

Old 01-27-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngroup View Post
Thanks! Yes, I was fortunate to find an excellent deal on a 993 with 50k original miles. I don’t have the space to keep both.
Haha, I too sold my 1972 and am hoping to have a 993 landing in the garage in a few weeks.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
Haha, I too sold my 1972 and am hoping to have a 993 landing in the garage in a few weeks.
Congrats!
Old 01-27-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I've wanted a 993 for a long time, but its a really an entirely different car than your longhood. I can understand selling the longhood though, as the market now is just totally insane. It is a stunning car. I watch BAT compulsively, lol.
I had to unsubscribe from the BaT daily email, sucking up too much time! I sub’d when I was looking for a 911. Luckily, I ended up buying a 964 that popped up locally on CL, before moving back to CA. It is a ton of fun.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
I owned a Midget. LOTS of legroom in that wheelwell. My car ran like a top, but had the expected electrical issues. For a while there, I had to hold the high beams on manually to have any headlights.

...and that was in the 80s! They're likely to be in 'more interesting' shape now.

If I were looking for something today with lots of aftermarket goodies to 'play with' I'd seriously look at a Miata. It's basically the British sports convertible that's reliable enough to drive every day.

M
I had a 1971 Midget that I loved. High beams were barely lights! In the end, I had an electrical issue that I could never resolve so my battery would always die. But I could jump that car by myself and drove almost an entire year - including winter - with no battery and no top!

I miss that car but when I think about buying another Midget or MGB, I realize I can get the same drive feel from a Miata, without the problems....
Old 01-28-2021, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I had a 1971 Midget that I loved. High beams were barely lights! In the end, I had an electrical issue that I could never resolve so my battery would always die. But I could jump that car by myself and drove almost an entire year - including winter - with no battery and no top!

I miss that car but when I think about buying another Midget or MGB, I realize I can get the same drive feel from a Miata, without the problems....
Lucas, Prince of Darkness
Old 01-28-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

You can say that again. The British car industry would still be here not for Lucas. And really thin sheet metal. And leaking fluid containers, and failed fuel pumps, and archaic convertible tops and...
Old 01-28-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
You can say that again. The British car industry would still be here not for Lucas. And really thin sheet metal. And leaking fluid containers, and failed fuel pumps, and archaic convertible tops and...
Reminds me of the old joke;
Why do the British drink warm beer?
Because Lucas also makes refrigerators!

Tim
Old 01-29-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Ya. Had an Austin Healy. Mystery whether it would start any given day, so with 19k I parked it in back yard on a hill and roll started with the clutch.