Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteel View Post
Pretty sure I'd not mention that sort of behavior on a public forum.
So my edit is that we excluded the value of the plow...pretty sure that's ok.

and we did not include the value of a full tank of gas.

SPP

Last edited by SlowPokePete; 01-26-2021 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:13 PM

Never used a snowplow before...just did my 300' driveway.

Half a foot of snow.

Easy.

Kind of fun, actually.

Took less than 15 minutes...

SPP
Old 01-27-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Never used a snowplow before...just did my 300' driveway.

Half a foot of snow.

Easy.

Kind of fun, actually.

Took less than 15 minutes...

SPP
Pics or it didn't happen.

I kid i kid.......sort of

I'm a grown azz man and I would think plowing snow would be SUPER fun
Old 01-27-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post

January 27, 2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
Old 01-28-2021, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Just curious, is the plow a "driveway" plow or a standard "parking lot" plow?
It's a Fisher Minute Mount 2.

SPP
Old 01-28-2021, 05:38 AM

Late to the party and just a little daft....so you got the used truck that was used for plowing and you got the plow too!?

That is too cool. We need a snow plow here for like 2x/yr every three or four years, but if I lived where you lived this is a no brainer. I would spend my snowy no worky days plowing the $hit out of parking lots for extra gas money and undercarriage paint.

I'm liking this truck more and more.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:02 AM

I've owned a very nice (Ariens 824) snowblower for over 20 years.

When I lived in Westchester, I rarely used it...not that long of a driveway, no sidewalk, etc...so it was hardly worth getting it out unless there was a lot of snow, which was rare.

When I moved to Hillsdale, with a much longer driveway and snow more often (as in I've used the snowblower about 5 times this year, including one time where we got a foot and a half of snow), I was asked by the tree guy in August what I planned to do when it snowed, since he plows a lot of private driveways. My answer was "well, I have a snowblower." Not sure how to describe the way he looked at me, but he said if I needed him to give him a call.

I've never used a snowplow before, although when I was in high school I went out a couple times with a friend who had a little Jeep CJ-7 and it was so cool just sitting there in the passenger street with the heat blasting away going from house to house in the dark.

Anyway, I'm not sure I want to beat the crap out of this truck by doing a lot of plowing, and I definitely need a lot more experience before I do anyone's driveway but my own.

We do have two neighbors who share a "driveway" that's probably close to 3/4 mile long plus their own little driveways that are offshoots of that longer one. I may talk to them about next year, but that would probably be about the extent of it.

It's just such a piece of cake to do with a plow. And fun. The snowblower, while easier by far than shoveling, still requires a lot of muscle-ing, time, and discomfort since the wind is blowing snow in what is always the direction of your face.

Can't wait to use it again!

SPP

Last edited by SlowPokePete; 01-28-2021 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:55 AM

I left Toyota before 2008. I didnt read all responses but when they came out they had a timing belt that needed replacement periodically. If yours still had belt instead of chain pull the cover and look at it. I sold one to a woman that worked on cell towers and had 300000 on hers going strong with required maintenance. Google says small 8 belt 5.7 chain. Check your manual in case googles wrong.

Last edited by soulspinner; 01-28-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:

SPP
Very nice setup. Looks like a standard straight plow.
That driveway looks like it would take a loooong time with a walk-behind snow thrower.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 01-28-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:

It is fun. Doing your own driveway several times a year is a good time.

However, as someone who's spent a lot of hours pushing snow growing up in the midwest it can get to the point, usually late winter, when some of the shine starts to come off. Depends entirely on how much you have to plow. My dad and I plowed through the night quite a bit and you have to make sure you keep your eyes open. For me coffee and caffeinated sodas helped - to a point. After a while I still got drowsy, but the close pee break intervals helped keep me awake. Kept the heater on to keep engine temp a little cooler but unless it was blowing hard usually had the driver's window partially down to some cool air in the truck.

It's a fun job for OC people like me. Was always sort of a "project" to see how neatly and uniformly I could push/pile it, or to see how many back-and-forth trips in the lot I could eliminate by being as efficient as possible.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:

SPP
Very nice! Beautiful pics. You have gorgeous property.

Quote:
It is fun. Doing your own driveway several times a year is a good time.

However, as someone who's spent a lot of hours pushing snow growing up in the midwest it can get to the point, usually late winter, when some of the shine starts to come off. Depends entirely on how much you have to plow. My dad and I plowed through the night quite a bit and you have to make sure you keep your eyes open. For me coffee and caffeinated sodas helped - to a point. After a while I still got drowsy, but the close pee break intervals helped keep me awake. Kept the heater on to keep engine temp a little cooler but unless it was blowing hard usually had the driver's window partially down to some cool air in the truck.

It's a fun job for OC people like me. Was always sort of a "project" to see how neatly and uniformly I could push/pile it, or to see how many back-and-forth trips in the lot I could eliminate by being as efficient as possible.
Thanks for sharing. I am from the midwest also. I remember my older brothers friend buying a plow one winter for his jacked up CJ7 and according to him "made a killing" that winter and following winters. I always wondered what his definition of "made killing" equated to.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not sure I want to beat the crap out of this truck by doing a lot of plowing, and I definitely need a lot more experience before I do anyone's driveway but my own.
Plowing certainly beats the crap out of a truck. When I was looking for a used one in '16, I ran into a few trucks used for plowing and stayed away. One mile of plowing has to be equal to hundreds plowing. But, if you need your long driveway cleared, there's no other way. Have fun!
Old 01-28-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Very nice! Beautiful pics. You have gorgeous property.

Thanks for sharing. I am from the midwest also. I remember my older brothers friend buying a plow one winter for his jacked up CJ7 and according to him "made a killing" that winter and following winters. I always wondered what his definition of "made killing" equated to.
He might have done pretty well. You've got the expense of the plow, and of course fuel. If that's all he had in it, assuming the CJ was paid for, and he was able to charge what he wanted, it probably worked out.

You can sink some $ into a plow vehicle if you're going to make a decent-sized seasonal business of it for the long-term. We had lower geared f/r axles, big motors, dual batteries, tranny cooler, beefed up the front suspension a little bit. Then there's the extra f/r lights we put on to really brighten things up (the extra rear backup lights are a must-have). That's not a cheap rig and we had two of them. When it snowed fairly regular you could do OK if you knew what you were doing and took care of your equipment. No more snow than they get nowadays (I'm from IN), not sure how a guy on his own could turn much of a profit, if any. I think most snow pushers currently are landscape companies that use that to keep some of their guys busy during the winter.

Last edited by Red Tornado; 01-28-2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I think most snow pushers currently are landscape companies that use that to keep some of their guys busy during the winter.
......and that's exactly how he got his start. He ran a couple of landscape crews during the summer and did snowplowing in winter to keep him and a few other guys busy.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:13 PM

That's good to know. I'm looking for some cosmetic dentistry while traveling in Yellowstone. Have any good recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
Guys, my chevy suburban has a solid chassis with frame and body and a powerful engine, it does a great job of towing and transporting goods. Thanks to the independent rear suspension, I am not afraid of any sweeps.