Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 04:31 PM
Administrator

What's in the Workstand ? ?

What are you working on lately?

Winter re-build projects? Maintenance activities? What's happening in your workstand or what projects do you have in mind for the offseason and beyond?

I'm experimenting with some lower gearing for my old lugged zanc. This bike has been equipped with young man's racing gears for a while and while it's always a joy to ride, i would grab it off the peg more often if it had what i've come to accept as more comfortable gearing for the riding i do.

this is such a beautiful bike.

Old 10-27-2020, 04:38 PM

I must say, I admire how much of a staunch advocate you are for downtube shifters. Is there any reason for this? Cheaper to buy than modern shifters? You just like them?

Also love that frame. Gorgeous.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
I must say, I admire how much of a staunch advocate you are for downtube shifters. Is there any reason for this? Cheaper to buy than modern shifters? You just like them?

Also love that frame. Gorgeous.
i think i just like them.

i've been working on boats, jet skis, motorcycles and cars my entire life. i think i just appreciate the dead simplicity of the bicycle in basic form. what i really like is that all these years and innovations later, DT shifters in friction mode still work fine, and i can go out and enjoy a ride next to people with electric wireless shifting and ride along with them just fine. note that i dont hate any of the modern stuff and concede that it's all just great stuff, but in my mind it's cool to keep the old tech alive.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:47 PM

Can’t argue with that at all. I recently switched from hydro Di2 to mechanical rim Chorus 12 and I much prefer the tactile feel of it and the fact that I set it up myself at home without having to run any internal wires and junction boxes!
Old 10-27-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
What are you working on lately?

Winter re-build projects? Maintenance activities? What's happening in your workstand or what projects do you have in mind for the offseason and beyond?

I'm experimenting with some lower gearing for my old lugged zanc. This bike has been equipped with young man's racing gears for a while and while it's always a joy to ride, i would grab it off the peg more often if it had what i've come to accept as more comfortable gearing for the riding i do.

this is such a beautiful bike.

need some help on the rotten wood? winter is coming... cant wait to see hwat the Zanc looks like
Old 10-27-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
i think i just like them.

i've been working on boats, jet skis, motorcycles and cars my entire life. i think i just appreciate the dead simplicity of the bicycle in basic form. what i really like is that all these years and innovations later, DT shifters in friction mode still work fine, and i can go out and enjoy a ride next to people with electric wireless shifting and ride along with them just fine. note that i dont hate any of the modern stuff and concede that it's all just great stuff, but in my mind it's cool to keep the old tech alive.
Now since you shared your reasoning for DT shifters (which totally makes sense), what is the explanation for the 2 different kinds?
Asking for a friend plagued by OCD...
Old 10-27-2020, 05:01 PM

I just started twiddling Allen wrenches on this one yesterday. Just test fitting basic bits while I’m waiting for a stem and some fresh chainrings.

Discovered the post will need a minor chop as it needs to drop by just under an inch.

Time VXR that’s been taken back to raw carbon with Record 11 (inc a 5 bolt Campy SRM )

Excuse the dirty wheels, they were nearby
Old 10-27-2020, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Now since you shared your reasoning for DT shifters (which totally makes sense), what is the explanation for the 2 different kinds?
Asking for a friend plagued by OCD...
haha, this is the workstand thread! we are working on it!
Old 10-27-2020, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post

Time VXR
that's a winner jimmy. i like the near horizontal TT and overall clean look of this one. i'm also relieved it sounds like you are ditching that stem.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
that's a winner jimmy. i like the near horizontal TT and overall clean look of this one. i'm also relieved it sounds like you are ditching that stem.
It's funny, the stem seems to be polarising - and people love telling me their opinion!

It's getting swapped for a superleggero stem (black decals) which should really complement the clean look of the frame.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:41 PM

The Di2 Dreesens I bought on the forum a little while back. Ultegra di2 comes into stock again the first week of November and I'm thinking of jumping on it. I'll be borrowing a few things from other bikes to get it built (350's to belgiums from my partner, an R9100 compact crank from my Swiss Cross) and hoping to have it rideable by the end of november. Will of course have the biggest tubeless Vittoria Corsa I can fit, which looks like it'll be a 28.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1216.jpg (149.5 KB, 1298 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1219 (1).jpg (151.0 KB, 1294 views)
Old 10-27-2020, 06:02 PM

Collecting parts for this little gem....

Been hanging on a hook here for years.

My son outgrew it before I got started with the build.

It won't be for me, but will be a fun loaner for two of my wife's cousins in Germany when they visit.

[IMG]DSCN6431 by Grady Linehan, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-27-2020, 06:03 PM
Administrator

wow your son must be a tall glass of water, but i love some serotta cha-ching green!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
The Di2 Dreesens I bought on the forum a little while back. Ultegra di2 comes into stock again the first week of November and I'm thinking of jumping on it. I'll be borrowing a few things from other bikes to get it built (350's to belgiums from my partner, an R9100 compact crank from my Swiss Cross) and hoping to have it rideable by the end of november. Will of course have the biggest tubeless Vittoria Corsa I can fit, which looks like it'll be a 28.
this one is completely awesome too. i know the bike well as it looks like it would fit me, but too long in the top tube! glad it's found a home here on the forum and looking forward to seeing it built up!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:31 PM

This one will be in the stand on Thursday (if Fedex comes through). Not as common here. Binge watching the TdF, Giro, Vuelta, LBL etc. probably cobtributed but after releasing the OPEN I knew I wanted to go road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk