Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2021, 08:24 AM

Wow, I wonder if Brexit somehow affected this?
Old 01-07-2021, 11:10 AM

Probably affected whoever was going to inject some cash into them and had a knock-on effect. Or maybe the fella's just decided they did want to retire after all.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:36 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Wow, I wonder if Brexit somehow affected this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Probably affected whoever was going to inject some cash into them and had a knock-on effect. Or maybe the fella's just decided they did want to retire after all.

I spoke to some people there yesterday and they told me it was over and Brexit was responsible. The whole upheaval with things being temporarily halted into and out of the UK has seriously screwed things up for everyone and Bob Jackson took a knockout punch. The investor didn't realize what was going to happen and the affects. I was going to post on it and just hadn't had the chance to yet.

Sad day for sure.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:55 AM

Anyone following the fate of Bob Jackson Cycles over the last few months likely has whiplash.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...n-leeds-488920
Old 01-27-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Anyone following the fate of Bob Jackson Cycles over the last few months likely has whiplash.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...n-leeds-488920
British politics tends to have a similar cadence...
Old 01-27-2021, 10:11 AM

I find this merging of Jackson and Woodrup interesting. The original owners of each brand (Bob Jackson and Maurice Woodrup) were at one time partners after WWII but something happened and there was a nasty divorce (in the 50's?). Ellis Briggs in Shipley where I learned to build bicycle frames was in the same metropolitan area as Leeds where Jackson and Woodrup are located. I heard about the break up of their partnership from Jack Briggs (the guy I learned from). One time when I wanted to learn how to do inverted seat stay attachments like on my Italian Masi, Jack sent me over to Woodrups were Maurice's son Stephen showed me how it was done. Jack said they wouldn't mind because Ellis Briggs had offered Maurice help get started again when he left Jackson's. Also E-B painted Woodrup's frames. The impression I had 45 years ago was there was some hard feeling about the separation.

Jackson's and Woodrup do not have the same build philosophies so it will be interesting what happens in the future. I did visit Bob Jackson's when I was apprenticing at Ellis Briggs in 1975. It was 17 miles away on twisting city roads. Kevin Sayles now at Woodrup was one of the 4 or so young guys working there at the time although I only spoke to Danny Foster their foreman.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:15 AM

Well, that's great news as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully it actually happens.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:05 PM

Great thread - another reminder to support local whenever possible wherever you're located