Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2021, 11:06 AM

I too use the slow pulse mode and I can't even really ride at night on MUP any longer for fear of migraine and or crashing because of the flashing lights.

I would not be opposed tp the idea that bicycles ridden on roadways be required to run static front and rear lights, all day every day.

Good thing gotten out of hand in many cases.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:08 AM

Unfortunately I see more frequent strobing lights (sometimes extremely bright!) now, and occasionally on the bike path as well, blinding all oncoming cyclists =(
Old 01-27-2021, 11:24 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Both my front and rear have a slow pulsing mode which is what I use.
On trails, I leave the lights off during the day.
+1

I like the pulsing lights as well, and no real need for lights on a bike path or trails during daylight hours....
Old 01-27-2021, 11:29 AM

In an ideal world, bikes can only be sold with lights, and the lights are StVZO-compliant.

But considering we can't even properly regulate car headlights or coal-rolling, I don't foresee a bike light enlightenment happening anytime soon in America.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:33 AM

In the dark - steady lights - front angled so that it doesn't blind anyone.

In the day time - flashing front pointed down to the ground and flashing rear.

I think there's a big difference between a flashing light and a 'strobe' light. I do not think flashing lights in the day time on a not-obnoxious setting are an issue if angled appropriately.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:39 AM

Wow, I use a small strobe during the day and at night on my bike. In London, many people ride with strobes.

My strobe flashes at 170 lumens and it is not that strong. I ride at night a lot and when cyclists approach me with a strobe it does not bother me. My other light is a 1250 lumen max (same a car highbeam) and if I select proper program,can flash SOS . . . The 1250 lumens will definitely irritate car drivers so I must be careful to have on low which is about 300 when riding with cars.

Low beam in a car is around 700 lumen, so comparing a 170 lumen flash to a car light flashing.

The same company makes a 5000 lumen MTB bike for trails. I hate to see some idiot use that on the road. I saw the company demo a 5000 lumen mount on handlebar and 2500 helmet light. It is pretty awesome.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 01-27-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:10 PM

I use a strobing front light. Always aimed only as far as I can travel in a second or two. But I'd like to make a distinction: In the dark, set to strobe only in the street, moving in same direction as traffic and on the path, set to solid beam. In the daytime, typically ride with it off, unless I forget that it is on. Still as long as aimed downward, during the day, it's just not too dazzling even on the bike path. I think people just can get a bit Velominati about them. Mostly, if you're riding a bike, you're doing it right.

Andy in Houston

Last edited by cinco; 01-27-2021 at 12:14 PM. Reason: your - you're
Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 PM

I have been running front and rear blinking lights during the day and avoid night rides. I used lower powered front lights for about 3 months and had 3 incidents of someone pulling out of driveways in front of me in residential areas as they apparently did not notice me (relatively low traffic areas). After switching to a higher powered front light, I’m clearly seen and haven’t had any recurrence in the last 18 months. I’ve not seen a bike’s light that was blinding during the daytime.

Last edited by Xicaboy; 01-27-2021 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
In the dark - steady lights - front angled so that it doesn't blind anyone.

In the day time - flashing front pointed down to the ground and flashing rear.

I think there's a big difference between a flashing light and a 'strobe' light. I do not think flashing lights in the day time on a not-obnoxious setting are an issue if angled appropriately.
Yes

I think most are in agreement and "strobe" might be a bit semantic with flashing.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:52 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Also comment, Varia rear has solid light, then when car approaches starts blinking. This feature is not available for EU customers, solid light only.
Damn I totally forgot about this feature. How do you check that function is on?
Old 01-27-2021, 01:57 PM
Rockstruck

There needs to be a good way--like a camera app-- to check if your light is aimed right, so that it does not blind oncoming drivers.

I use a blinking light front and back all the time. I am much more conscious now of the scenario of driving in bright sunshine when all of a sudden a biker comes out of the dark shadows of a line of trees.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
There needs to be a good way--like a camera app-- to check if your light is aimed right, so that it does not blind oncoming drivers.

I use a blinking light front and back all the time. I am much more conscious now of the scenario of driving in bright sunshine when all of a sudden a biker comes out of the dark shadows of a line of trees.
My experience is if I blind an oncoming driver they either flash me or honk me. It's pretty obvious they are mad.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:20 PM

Don't most lights have variable output levels? Mine do, typically 400/600 on the front strobing daytime on roads, 800+ when I rarely ride at night. Back two strobing full power or one down from full during the day and half at night. Two rears with different shape and flash pattern, a foot of vertical separation. Thanksfully now that I'm retired its rare to be out at night.

Agree, badly aimed lights are a hazard. As are oncoming group riders running lights at 1,000 each. Found that blinding on a MUT a couple years ago, I pulled over and waited for them to pass so I could see again.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:27 PM

The worst thing to happen since bluetooth speakers. I don't care about strobes on the road but on trails and separated paths they're extremely rude.

The Silver Comet is endemic with them. Doubly idiotic because every road crossing is controlled.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
With front lights becoming more popular, I am noticing many more strobes during the day. They are (in my opinion) bit annoying. I can see where you are in traffic with lots of lights, but on bike paths and roads with few intersections? I believe some EU countries banned front strobes. Why can't they just put light on, and use higher powered if necessary?

Should I just shut up and reminisce about those early 70's parties?
Yes. I use my Cycliq 12 CE strobe during the day. Like something in motion, a flashing strobe is more likely the catch a driver’s attention than is a solid light. I keep the brightness dimmer to preserve my light battery.